Gamer's in the eyes' of "normal people"

Started by annoyinglad, August 20, 2009, 05:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

annoyinglad

Games linked to depression? APPARANTLY!
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/study-games-are-depressing-or-are-they-/1346074

The average gamer is 35, overweight, and more likely to be depressed, says a new study conducted by researchers at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

The study, which was carried out in the Seattle-Tacoma area, found that gamers reported "lower extraversion, consistent with research on adolescents that linked video-game playing to a sedentary lifestyle and overweight status, and to mental-health concerns."

It also indicated a curious difference between male and female gamers: the former proved more overweight and reported more Internet usage than non-gamer men, while female gamers reported more depression and lower general health than non-gamer women.

But which comes first, the games or the poor health? The researchers hypothesized that depressed individuals might be turning to games as a means of self-medication, immersing themselves in a game's world as a way of forgetting about real-life troubles.

"Habitual use of video games as a coping response may [provide] a genesis for obsessive-compulsive video-game playing, if not video-game addiction," one researcher told MSNBC. The study calls for "further research among adults to clarify how to use digital opportunities more effectively to promote health and prevent disease."

As luck would have it, a study at East Carolina University funded by Bejeweled maker Popcap Games is also investigating the possible mental health benefits of game playing. Having already discovered that Bejeweled can improve mood and heart rhythms, the Carolina group is about to embark on an investigation in an attempt to determine whether games like Bejeweled can also deliver clinically significant improvements to depression sufferers.

"The research is part of a broad array of unconventional efforts that video game companies are devising to find new markets for their products," says Shankar Vedantam, writing this week for the Washington Post. "Many of these steps are based on the idea that depression and other disorders -- as well as everyday stress and worry -- involve systematic patterns of thought and self-doubt, and that games can distract people and put them in a different mental zone."

Notice how they say "habitatual"... Like we're some sort of animal in a cage for them to watch... Hypocrites... They're just as pitiful as they call us... Also, if they think the average gamer is 35 and overweight. Look here as an example to show hundreds who are teenage or younger, healthy weight, and aren't depressed! Also, try Halo! That's full of 10 year olds! And MILLIONS of people play it. 90% are that 10 year old category! Gosh, they need to see what it's like from our end... They treat us like we're some sort of other species...

Dracoslythe

Quote from: annoyinglad on August 20, 2009, 05:46:13 PM
As luck would have it, a study at East Carolina University funded by Bejeweled maker Popcap Games is also investigating the possible mental health benefits of game playing. Having already discovered that Bejeweled can improve mood and heart rhythms, the Carolina group is about to embark on an investigation in an attempt to determine whether games like Bejeweled can also deliver clinically significant improvements to depression sufferers.
>.>
Greenville is full of idiots and crime, let me tell you that  (rofl ECU is like 2 or less hours from where I live).  Just because of that one paragraph, I have a stronger doubt of "normal people's" psychological health.

But wow.
And this is why everyone hates on video games?
What pathetic, mono-viewed, NARROWMINDED buffoon could come up with this?

lol
for one, video games are not the reason for depression.
There's real life
Work
School
Relationships
Kids
and so many other factors to give way into depression.

And this overweight stuff?
Rofl.
I though they were blaming that on unhealthy eating habits, and kid's rebellious behavior on games...
I guess everyone got tired of the "Supersize Me" deal, and started blaming video games, and started blaming rebellious behavior on different things...
I dunno.

Hakudamashi

What I got from it
"You have gamers,then you have human beings"
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

ShadowsOfSilver

The Meph's back in da hawz

Jordan teh Echidna

screw them! look at me, i'm like the most upbeat, crazy, retarded, enthusastic person in my school, i'm almost UNDERweight, and i am NOT 35 o.o

These people need to get their facts right...
Pesterchum = sirJayden

annoyinglad

Quote from: Mikey the Echidna on August 23, 2009, 06:51:04 AM
screw them! look at me, i'm like the most upbeat, crazy, retarded, enthusastic person in my school, i'm almost UNDERweight, and i am NOT 35 o.o

These people need to get their facts right...

Or left... As far as I can tell they were down. Whoever did this "study" MUST have been either on drugs, or not payed to do it so they made something up. If they just PLAYED the games or actually went around and ASKED people like us on forums about this stuff, they'd have the right information.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

annoyinglad

Quote from: Windlessusher on August 23, 2009, 07:43:42 PM
why won't they target movies?

They tried, it didn't catch on, so now they're trying us.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

darkness shadow

all i can say is WTF i'm not over weight, i'm not 35 but i play games all day. I CAN BE ACTIVE IF NEED BE

but seriously, who and where did this "research" take place cause it is totally wrong. some games make you want to be more active if anything, like the sonic series. they are basically describing the stereo-typical lazy fat ass u see in cartoons
supa emeraldz

thnx rival, again
shineh emeraldz =D

SuperBrawl10

Quote from: annoyinglad on August 20, 2009, 05:46:13 PM
Games linked to depression? APPARANTLY!
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/study-games-are-depressing-or-are-they-/1346074

The average gamer is 35, overweight, and more likely to be depressed, says a new study conducted by researchers at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
wow they are TOTAL idiots. I'm 15 and not overweight. they need to look over their facts and change them to make it sound more acurate.

annoyinglad

Well guys, if you'd like to tell them your opinions, here's the website for the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Tell them what you think of their "research" and I recommend you invite them to our forum to see what gamers are really like.

SonicFan47

Quote from: hypers on August 20, 2009, 06:18:16 PM
overwieght? NO WAY! >:(
*points to self*
Quote from: MonictheDemon777 on August 20, 2009, 06:30:07 PM
Flawed research is flawed.
+1 karma because Epic true comment is truely epic.

Sadly, aside from the 35 thing and the stuff about female gamers, that is mostly true in this case.
And by this case I mean me.
Sig attempt #7!

I am the Knight of Bright Blue Test Tube Sentient Beings! In your Face!
a-lad wuz here :P

Hakudamashi

Quote from: annoyinglad on August 26, 2009, 06:38:21 AM
Well guys, if you'd like to tell them your opinions, here's the website for the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Tell them what you think of their "research" and I recommend you invite them to our forum to see what gamers are really like.
then next thing you know
"SonicROMs.net,a site for deranged gaming fanboys"
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SonicFan47

Quote from: Windlessusher on August 27, 2009, 06:28:43 PM
then next thing you know
"SonicROMs.net,a site for deranged gaming fanboys"
That won't happen.
We have to be filled with Genesis junkies first.
Sig attempt #7!

annoyinglad

Quote from: SonicFan47 on August 28, 2009, 03:21:49 PM
That won't happen.

Do I even want to know the description of said Genesis Junky? I'm curious, but with everything else I learn here, I usually realize I may have been better off not knowing...

SonicFan47

Quote from: annoyinglad on August 28, 2009, 03:29:16 PM
Do I even want to know the description of said Genesis Junky? I'm curious, but with everything else I learn here, I usually realize I may have been better off not knowing...
Genesis Junkie (alt. Spelling Junky): A gamer who clings to the past because they are unwilling to open up to new ideas within a series. Genesis Junkie(y)
                                                typically indicates one against new Sonic games.
Sig attempt #7!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: annoyinglad on August 28, 2009, 03:29:16 PM
Quote from: SonicFan47 on August 28, 2009, 03:31:58 PM
Genesis Junkie (alt. Spelling Junky): A gamer who clings to the past because they are unwilling to open up to new ideas within a series. Genesis Junkie(y)
                                               typically indicates one against new Sonic games.
or just one who accepts the old and neglects the new
Quote from: SonicFan47 on August 28, 2009, 03:21:49 PM
That won't happen.
Don't we already have some?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SonicFan47

Quote from: Windlessusher on August 28, 2009, 07:10:59 PM
or just one who accepts the old and neglects the new
Basically, yeah.
Quote from: Windlessusher on August 28, 2009, 07:10:59 PM
Don't we already have some?
Yeah, but the site isn't filled with them yet.
Sig attempt #7!

azlj01

Basically its a slap to the head for gamers and the quote "Get a life you losers" cause we are better for you.
Fail!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: SonicFan47 on August 29, 2009, 08:27:44 AM
Basically, yeah.Yeah, but the site isn't filled with them yet.
that won't stop them from stretching the truth
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay