Show us your desktop

Started by Triple S3, June 06, 2009, 03:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raidein

Quote from: Elija2 on April 27, 2015, 05:36:17 AM
What's in the Stories folder?
Just stories that I write, or plans for them. Maybe even art for said stories that I drew, or just plans for manga.
I got nothin'
except the word Quote

sonicwolfsdutch

mine is a little messy but its mine if ur interested in my chevy background get it here

one day 6 screens mwhahahaha #nolifeforlife
also who is oldtimer fan here?

Elija2

New Desktop: WINDOWS 10 EDITION

jkid101094

My jimmies are still ruffled by not being able to change Cortana's name.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on July 30, 2015, 04:06:52 PM
My jimmies are still ruffled by not being able to change Cortana's name.

You'll get over it.

Cortana isn't even available in Canada yet so idgaf.

jkid101094

I've played with her on my sister's computer though. She's pretty cool.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Being able to change her gender but not her name is pretty stupid if you ask me.

So does this wipe your hardrive or not?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 30, 2015, 04:41:43 PM
Being able to change her gender but not her name is pretty stupid if you ask me.

So does this wipe your hardrive or not?

Well you trigger Cortana by saying her name and since her name can't be changed they were able to make it super-accurate at detecting the word Cortana spoken in multiple different accents. If they let you change her name to anything then they wouldn't be able to make the name detection as accurate. There's a reason personal assistants don't let you change their names.

And no.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on July 30, 2015, 04:54:21 PM
Well you trigger Cortana by saying her name...
There's also a microphone button. In fact, the only way I can get her to listen to me is by clicking it and I've only seen a handful of people say otherwise. Not to mention typing your question is also an option.

...and since her name can't be changed they were able to make it super-accurate at detecting the word Cortana spoken in multiple different accents.
If you change her name then your accent is the only one she needs to pick up. Even Nintendogs on the DS is capable of detecting different names for your dogs.

If they let you change her name to anything then they wouldn't be able to make the name detection as accurate.
I personally see accuracy as a loss of customizability. Cortana is cool but she's also an Xbox fangirl, uses a search engine and web browser I hate and won't even let me give her a nickname. If I could customize her responses and add new ones and then share them with other people she'd be a lot more fun to talk to.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on July 30, 2015, 05:23:17 PM
There's also a microphone button. In fact, the only way I can get her to listen to me is by clicking it and I've only seen a handful of people say otherwise. Not to mention typing your question is also an option.

You are able to activate her just by saying her name. You're probably doing it wrong.

If you change her name then your accent is the only one she needs to pick up. Even Nintendogs on the DS is capable of detecting different names for your dogs.

We'll I'm sure Microsoft, Apple, and Google understand the logistics of it more than we do.

I personally see accuracy as a loss of customizability. Cortana is cool but she's also an Xbox fangirl, uses a search engine and web browser I hate and won't even let me give her a nickname. If I could customize her responses and add new ones and then share them with other people she'd be a lot more fun to talk to.

You're not supposed to talk to her for fun, you're supposed to talk to her to get shit done.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on July 30, 2015, 05:33:11 PM
You are able to activate her just by saying her name. You're probably doing it wrong.
I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm saying that most people can't which leads me to the conclusion that the feature probably isn't worth having in the first place.

We'll I'm sure Microsoft, Apple, and Google understand the logistics of it more than we do.
Oh absolutely. Saying they could do it just because Nintendo can is like saying I can make a Deer Hunting Simulator just because Gel and his team did. My point is though that the technology and knowledge are obviously available and it's just a matter of finding out how it's done. The problem is that Microsoft probably doesn't want to dump money into it because it's also simultaneously a Halo advertisement.

You're not supposed to talk to her for fun, you're supposed to talk to her to get shit done.
Pretty sure anything she can do for me I can also accomplish by clicking a few buttons.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on July 30, 2015, 05:41:32 PM
I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm saying that most people can't which leads me to the conclusion that the feature probably isn't worth having in the first place.

All of the impressions I've read say it works fine. I think the problem is on your end.

The problem is that Microsoft probably doesn't want to dump money into it because it's also simultaneously a Halo advertisement.

A Halo reference is hardly an advertisement. Besides, I'm sure the reference will go over most people's heads.

Pretty sure anything she can do for me I can also accomplish by clicking a few buttons.

But talking is faster than clicking buttons. That's the whole point of personal assistants. Do you think Siri was a big deal just because she could tell jokes?

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on July 30, 2015, 05:49:50 PM
All of the impressions I've read say it works fine. I think the problem is on your end.
My experience comes from both my end and that of the people I've seen on YouTube.

A Halo reference is hardly an advertisement. Besides, I'm sure the reference will go over most people's heads.
She is literally named after a character in the games and when asked personal questions refrences them. I'd call that at the very least a subtle advertisement.

But talking is faster than clicking buttons. That's the whole point of personal assistants. Do you think Siri was a big deal just because she could tell jokes?
Siri was a big deal?
Either way other people I know don't like typing either so I can see why the feature is there...I just don't see the utility of it for someone like me who prefers typing.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on July 30, 2015, 06:08:41 PM
She is literally named after a character in the games and when asked personal questions refrences them. I'd call that at the very least a subtle advertisement.

Yeah, and when you type "do a barrel roll" into Google it does a barrel roll. Must be a Star Fox advertisement.

Quote from: jkid101094 on July 30, 2015, 06:08:41 PM
Either way other people I know don't like typing either so I can see why the feature is there...I just don't see the utility of it for someone like me who prefers typing.

It's quicker than typing and clicking stuff. That's the utility of it. If you don't care about that, then it's useless.