Sonic Colors review

Started by AngryNerds100, November 13, 2015, 10:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngryNerds100

I was looking through to see what games haven't been reviewed on this forum, and to my surprise nobody reviewed Sonic Colors. I love Sonic Colors. In fact, it's my favorite Sonic game. Without further delay, let's review Sonic Colors.

STORY
Eggman builds an amusement park in space. Sonic and Tails know something's up, so they go there to investigate. Eggman basically is trying to enslave the alien Wisps to build a mind control device with their energy. I feel the biggest problem with the story is some of the writing. It's really a mixed bag, sometimes, it's hilariously funny, and other times, it feels like it was written by a 6 year old.

PRESENTATION
This game looks astounding, and might even be the best looking game on the Wii. While it might not look like much on normal Wii hardware, play this game on Wii U, or on Dolphin at 1080p, and the graphics will blow you away.
The soundtrack is also phenomenal, and is certainly up there with all of the other highly praised Sonic Soundtracks.

GAMEPLAY
Sonic Colors has the tight and responsive controls from Unleashed's day stages, except better. Unleashed was oriented around speed, and Colors is oriented more around platforming. Instead of being refilled by rings, the boost gauge is filled by the white wisps, which means you have to use the boost more wisely. They also gave Sonic a double jump, which also really helps when platforming. Also, the wisps debuted in this game, which give Sonic temporary powers when used. Some of them are hard to control, but I like them, it adds some replay value, especially if you like getting S Ranks, which are really difficult to obtain, also adding to the replay value. The level design is also amazing. It has a nice balance between speed and platforming, and the wisps are well implemented. However, fans of the 3D games might not like it because it is mostly 2d. Despite what I said, the bosses are too easy and repetitive. Fighting them for the first time can be fun, but fighting them again, but harder was lazy on SEGA's part.

CONCLUSION
Sonic Colors is a phenomenal game. While it does have it's flaws, it's my favorite Sonic game by far. I enjoy almost every stage in this game, and it's a shame that this game is basically in the shadow of Sonic Generations, because this game is amazing, and it deserves to be remembered.

9/10

Gilly

Great post, thanks for contributing. +1

NiGHTSfan

Quote from: Jonathon on November 13, 2015, 11:02:23 AM
Great post, thanks for contributing. +1

hey john this is a little off topic but i doubt we'll see him again he reached the required posts and i can tell when people sign up for the site that thayre going to just download the games

NiGHTSfan

Quote from: AngryNerds100 on November 16, 2015, 04:54:24 AM
You were saying?

I'm not really here to download the games. I already have the majority of them. If I really wanted a Gamecube/Wii iso, I could just use my Wii U and the Homebrew Channel, and a physical copy of the game to create one. In fact, it's probably more convenient that way.

i still have my wii since 2008 and it still works today and i havent played with it for 3 years and it has homebrew on it

Niko

Put some really good controls, beautiful level design, beasty soundtrack and graphics together and you get Colors. HOLY FK this game is a blast to play, I recently replayed it on my PC with an emulator on like 20 FPS and it still was soo enjoyable. One of my favorites.

NiGHTSfan

Quote from: Niko on September 05, 2016, 09:25:12 AM
Put some really good controls, beautiful level design, beasty soundtrack and graphics together and you get Colors. HOLY FK this game is a blast to play, I recently replayed it on my PC with an emulator on like 20 FPS and it still was soo enjoyable. One of my favorites.

so u had 20fps on ur pc i got the full normal 30fps on my pc

AzraelGaming

Sonic Colors is my 4th Favorite Sonic Game of all time such a great game and took the platforming levels from unleashed expanded and refined them