Sonic The Hedgehog 2 review

Started by AngryNerds100, November 13, 2015, 07:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngryNerds100

Just a heads up, I'm a huge fan of Sonic, I just don't think that Sonic 2 is as good as good as people say it is. Please read the entire review before commenting, and realize that this is my opinion.

While Sonic CD was being developed in Japan, SEGA in the US worked on Sonic The Hedgehog 2. Sonic 2 is beloved by many fans, but I honestly think it's inferior to the first game in many ways.

STORY
The story is basically Sonic 1, except Eggman builds a Death Star knockoff, Sonic meets Tails, and there is one more Chaos Emerald. Eggman still enslaves animals and Sonic still tries to stop him.

PRESENTATION
The game looks a lot better than Sonic 1, with more vibrant colors. The music is also phenomenal, being some of the best in the franchise. What can I say that hasn't already been said about the presentation?

GAMEPLAY
Here is where the game starts going downhill.
Yes the physics and controls are tight and responsive. The one problem I have with the control, is the spindash. It is a blessing and a curse. It can either save you from having to backtrack, or send you flying into spikes.
The level design is garbage as well. All of the classic Sonic games have issues with screen crunch, but this game is easily the worst offender. The level design constantly sends me running into hazards, which is especially apparent in zones like Metropolis Zone, which is easily the worst zone in the Genesis trilogy. Metropolis Zone isn't the only one. Almost every single level in the game has issues with screen crunch. Not only that, but they are super nonlinear, and it sometimes get confusing, especially since the different paths aren't clear Then to add to that, the special stages are terrible. Just to enter them, you need to get 50 rings, so you can see how screen crunch could be a problem. Not only that, but getting the good ending breaks the pace of the game, since you need to search the stage for rings and a checkpoint, and getting hit makes you lose your chance of getting into one, and getting a continue, since getting continues depends on you getting 10000 points at the goal, but I'll talk about those a little later. The special stages themselves are just terrible. They rely on memorization, and suffer because of it. There is little room for error, and in some cases, getting hit once can screw you over, and when you get booted out of them, you have 0 rings, so you have to go find 50 more rings to try again. Then to top it all off, the good ending and Super Sonic, aren't even worth it. Not only that, but there are limited continues and no save feature, so you don't even get to keep all of the Emeralds. Not only that, but getting a game over sends you to the beginning of the game, punishing new players who are unfamiliar to the level design. Also, the last 2 stages are pretty much designed to drain all of your lives, with slow platforming over bottomless pits, something that doesn't belong in a Sonic game.
One redeeming quality is the boss fights. They are all fun, with one glaring exception, the final boss.

CONCLUSION

Overall, Sonic 2 definitely isn't as good as Sonic 1, and has several flaws, that should be noted. Despite it problems, saying I didn't have fun with it would be a definite lie. This game deserves a 6/10

6/10

Do you agree with me? Do you think my review had some flaws? please leave a comment down below as I'd like to hear your criticisms for my future reviews.

NiGHTSfan

i think that boths games have shitty stuff in both

NiGHTSfan

Quote from: AngryNerds100 on November 24, 2015, 10:52:52 AM
To be quite honest, I really enjoyed Sonic 1.

also what i find very fucked up in the ending of sonic 2 is that tails dies what the fuck man i like tails hes a great character

lozphx

I honestly didn't like sonic 1 or 2. 2 was a bit more fun but there were still segments of the game where it just slowed down too much.

Ioshyriku

Quote from: batman on November 24, 2015, 10:55:36 PM
also what i find very fucked up in the ending of sonic 2 is that tails dies what the fuck man i like tails hes a great character
You got the bad ending.

Ioshyriku

I know you were talking about the Genesis version, I was just telling batman that he got the bad ending in the SMS version.

Niko

I love this game. So much lol. In my top 3 list next to S3&K. This game is literally close to being perfect, with everything being really good and it doesn't have much problems AT ALL.