Eli says words about Sonic Lost World

Started by Elija2, November 07, 2015, 01:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

So I recently beat Sonic Lost World (including all the levels) and I felt like posting my final thoughts in this reviews section that nobody uses.

The controls were the biggest change in this game and they actually work pretty well once you get used to them... in 2D. In 3D they kinda fall apart. The most annoying thing is that turning in 3D slows you down significantly. Not just turning though, literally all horizontal movement slows you down. The game literally encourages you to just run in a straight forward line. I suppose it makes sense since all of the 3D sections are literally straight paths, but for those times where there's even a slight split in the path and Sonic's speed slows down it's really annoying. Also, wall-running is a lot less intuitive in 3D. I guess it's a good thing that the majority of the game is 2D sections, but the controls can get kinda annoying in those too. I have a habit of always keeping the run button held down to go faster (Mario has taught me to never let go of a run button), but that makes Sonic grab every ledge he runs into which destroys his momentum. Hey Sonic, I don't need you to try to run up a wall that you can easily jump over.

The level design is pretty bad. The quality of the 3D sections alone drops off a huge cliff after the first world, but the 2D sections get pretty bad too. If they're not frustrating, they're just not fun. Also, what's up with the hidden springs? How hard would it be to make them visible so I can actually see where the level is about to take me? Not to mention all the times when I tried to get a red coin but accidentally stepped on a dash panel which took complete control away from me and zipped me straight to the next section of the level where I couldn't go back. Fun.

The game does a decent job of giving every level it's own gimmick, but a lot the gimmicks suck. Some of them are mindbogglingly bad though. Like, "who the hell thought this was a good idea?" bad. The Hidden World takes the cake though. What the hell is up with that Rubik's cube stage? And that last stage... I guess Sonic Team forgot what checkpoints were. They sure saved the worst for last. And the wisps aren't fun to use. They never were. Drill is kinda fun but the rest suck. I don't even know what's going on with the music note wisp. I just keep pressing the A button until it's over.

I don't like some of Sonic's new moves. Having two different homing attacks (regular and the powerful kick one) might have been a good idea in theory but they're so similar that it's pretty redundant. Does Sonic really need more combat options? I will admit though that kicking one enemy into another is pretty satisfying. Also, I don't like being able to charge your homing attack. I didn't even know that that was a gameplay mechanic until I got stuck on the first boss fight with Zavok and Googled it to find out that I have to fully charge up my homing attack to knock him off the dragon. It seems like its use is limited to doing more damage to bosses, which only makes the bosses easier to beat. Triple bouncing is oddly satisfying though, I'll give them that.

The story is pretty lame. Eggman going back to his classic evil scheme of kidnapping animals to turn them into robots was neat but they had to ruin it by introducing the Deadly Six. Those guys just aren't good characters. Hell, I went through the entire game without knowing any of their names (when trying to figure out how to beat the first Zavok battle, I literally typed "sonic lost world red boss" into Google). Their dialogue was dreadful too. The fat yellow one (see, I don't even know his name!) was the only one who had a couple of funny lines. Seeing Sonic team up with Eggman to stop them was cool but it kinda didn't make sense plot-wise. Why does Sonic need Eggman's help to shut down the big bad computer when Tails could easily do it himself? Tails even brings this up himself and Sonic doesn't have an answer other than "Uh, well..."

The boss battles against the Deadly Six are pretty lacklustre. They have some interesting gimmicks but they're way too easy. The designs of the Deadly Six themselves are also pretty weak. They look like something a kindergartner drew. Sega probably did themselves a disservice by revolving this game's marketing around them so heavily.

The graphics are nice and colourful but the lighting is pretty plain (maybe that's for the best though since it runs much better on my laptop than Sonic Generations). Is it just me or have the graphics in Sonic games been regressing? Generations looked worse than Unleashed, and this looks worse than Generations. Well, at least the next game on PS4 and XBONE can't possibly look worse. Hedgehog Engine 2, I'm calling it now! Also, it was cool to see them bring back a bunch of classic Sonic concepts like the enemies and flickies. Hopefully they keep some of that stuff around in future games too.

And seriously though, Amy's new voice actor actually bothers me. She sounds terrible! Get the old one back on the phone.

Final Verdict: Worse than Generations and less fun than the Adventure games. I like it more than Sonic Heroes so I guess that's something?

NiGHTSfan

Quote from: Elija2 on November 07, 2015, 01:49:28 PM
So I recently beat Sonic Lost World (including all the levels) and I felt like posting my final thoughts in this reviews section that nobody uses.

The controls were the biggest change in this game and they actually work pretty well once you get used to them... in 2D. In 3D they kinda fall apart. The most annoying thing is that turning in 3D slows you down significantly. Not just turning though, literally all horizontal movement slows you down. The game literally encourages you to just run in a straight forward line. I suppose it makes sense since all of the 3D sections are literally straight paths, but for those times where there's even a slight split in the path and Sonic's speed slows down it's really annoying. Also, wall-running is a lot less intuitive in 3D. I guess it's a good thing that the majority of the game is 2D sections, but the controls can get kinda annoying in those too. I have a habit of always keeping the run button held down to go faster (Mario has taught me to never let go of a run button), but that makes Sonic grab every ledge he runs into which destroys his momentum. Hey Sonic, I don't need you to try to run up a wall that you can easily jump over.

The level design is pretty bad. The quality of the 3D sections alone drops off a huge cliff after the first world, but the 2D sections get pretty bad too. If they're not frustrating, they're just not fun. Also, what's up with the hidden springs? How hard would it be to make them visible so I can actually see where the level is about to take me? Not to mention all the times when I tried to get a red coin but accidentally stepped on a dash panel which took complete control away from me and zipped me straight to the next section of the level where I couldn't go back. Fun.

The game does a decent job of giving every level it's own gimmick, but a lot the gimmicks suck. Some of them are mindbogglingly bad though. Like, "who the hell thought this was a good idea?" bad. The Hidden World takes the cake though. What the hell is up with that Rubik's cube stage? And that last stage... I guess Sonic Team forgot what checkpoints were. They sure saved the worst for last. And the wisps aren't fun to use. They never were. Drill is kinda fun but the rest suck. I don't even know what's going on with the music note wisp. I just keep pressing the A button until it's over.

I don't like some of Sonic's new moves. Having two different homing attacks (regular and the powerful kick one) might have been a good idea in theory but they're so similar that it's pretty redundant. Does Sonic really need more combat options? I will admit though that kicking one enemy into another is pretty satisfying. Also, I don't like being able to charge your homing attack. I didn't even know that that was a gameplay mechanic until I got stuck on the first boss fight with Zavok and Googled it to find out that I have to fully charge up my homing attack to knock him off the dragon. It seems like its use is limited to doing more damage to bosses, which only makes the bosses easier to beat. Triple bouncing is oddly satisfying though, I'll give them that.

The story is pretty lame. Eggman going back to his classic evil scheme of kidnapping animals to turn them into robots was neat but they had to ruin it by introducing the Deadly Six. Those guys just aren't good characters. Hell, I went through the entire game without knowing any of their names (when trying to figure out how to beat the first Zavok battle, I literally typed "sonic lost world red boss" into Google). Their dialogue was dreadful too. The fat yellow one (see, I don't even know his name!) was the only one who had a couple of funny lines. Seeing Sonic team up with Eggman to stop them was cool but it kinda didn't make sense plot-wise. Why does Sonic need Eggman's help to shut down the big bad computer when Tails could easily do it himself? Tails even brings this up himself and Sonic doesn't have an answer other than "Uh, well..."

The boss battles against the Deadly Six are pretty lacklustre. They have some interesting gimmicks but they're way too easy. The designs of the Deadly Six themselves are also pretty weak. They look like something a kindergartner drew. Sega probably did themselves a disservice by revolving this game's marketing around them so heavily.

The graphics are nice and colourful but the lighting is pretty plain (maybe that's for the best though since it runs much better on my laptop than Sonic Generations). Is it just me or have the graphics in Sonic games been regressing? Generations looked worse than Unleashed, and this looks worse than Generations. Well, at least the next game on PS4 and XBONE can't possibly look worse. Hedgehog Engine 2, I'm calling it now! Also, it was cool to see them bring back a bunch of classic Sonic concepts like the enemies and flickies. Hopefully they keep some of that stuff around in future games too.

And seriously though, Amy's new voice actor actually bothers me. She sounds terrible! Get the old one back on the phone.

Final Verdict: Worse than Generations and less fun than the Adventure games. I like it more than Sonic Heroes so I guess that's something?

i agree that this game sucks but really saying generations sucks thats stupid i do hate the controls of sonic lost world but the game isnt that bad also sonic generations is one of the best sonic games like sonic colors i do like sonic lost world its a good game better than sonic boom