Deaths of comrades in games

Started by Raidein, April 26, 2015, 08:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raidein

WARNING: This will contain spoilers.

Have you ever played a game where someone you were close to dies? I can guarantee I have. Even if there was a way to avoid their death, it really hits me in the feels when Curly Brace dies saving my life because I nearly drowned, or when someone dies completely unrelated to my fault. Oh, and how do you save Curly Brace?
You do all of this.

You ignore a guy who just fell from the ceiling in front of you instead of going to talk to him, you go to an area and go to the bottom right and examine a tiny sparkling patch to get a Tow Rope then go to a robot to start a boss fight, after the boss grab Curly with the Tow Rope you obtained, go to next area, save, hope to god you can get to a shack before you miss it and if you miss it die and do a whole bit again, if you get to the shack put Curly down on a bed, find a book on the bookshelf, save her life using a technique in it, and take her with you. Then later on, go find her in a slightly hidden area in the last area of the game, go back to near the start of the game to a room you couldn't reach before, talk to mushroom guy, get mushroom badge, examine mushroom badge, talk to mushroom guy, fight mushroom guy, give mushroom guy to Curly Brace and you've saved her. If you do a single step wrong, then she is either dead or loses all memory about you. By the way, you have to do this to unlock the final area and get the 3rd ending.

Yup.

Any moments in gaming like this that annoyed you guys?
I got nothin'
except the word Quote

Raidein

Quote from: Elija2 on April 26, 2015, 08:28:38 AM
Curly Brace dying in Cave Story is such bullshit, especially since the way to save her (and get the best ending) is so convoluted. I don't understand how anybody is supposed to figure it out without checking a walkthrough.

Shadow the Hedgehog in Sonic Adventure 2. lol jk

Whenever I play Fire Emblem games I never let any of my characters die, even if I barely use them. If a single character dies, I'll reset the game and start the level all over again. I can't handle that heartbreak.
That's the exact reason I haven't touched the Fire Emblem series. I'm terrible at games like those, and playing in a temporary death mode makes me feel like a pussy while playing in perma death mode. I can't deal with them feels either.
And even though Cave Story's last ending is bullshit, it's still satisfying to get it using a walkthrough because using a walkthrough certainly doesn't make it easy to get. Unless you're following a full walkthrough, in that way it's a little easier, until you get to hell. Oh boy, hell.
I got nothin'
except the word Quote

Raidein

Quote from: Elija2 on April 26, 2015, 08:45:43 AM
Not gonna lie, Toroko's death in Cave Story hit me a lot more. Not only is it impossible to save her, but you are the one that has to finish her off. Plus she was so cute, kind, and innocent... ;_;

Until she ate the flower.
Did you know there is an unofficial 4th ending that you can install to save King and Toroko, and some more things? It's pretty damn cool, so of course I have it installed. But recently I got the 3DS Eshop version, so I can't install mods on that D:
I got nothin'
except the word Quote

Ioshyriku

The death of Alys in Phantasy Star 4 was not only the saddest video game moment of my childhood, but she was also had the best stats and techniques in the game.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Nanako in Persona 4 if you fuck up too hard.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Raidein

Quote from: Hakudamashi on April 26, 2015, 10:40:09 AM
Aerith in FF7.

I knew somebody would say that. Of course, why wouldn't they?
Of course a lot of people were so affected they'd go through hell and try to find ways to REVIVE Aerith, but in the end it just wasn't possible. If only ;-;
Speaking of which, the ways to revive Aerith eventually got so stupid there have been forum games dedicated to making stupid ways to revive Aerith. Perhaps we should have one.
I got nothin'
except the word Quote

Hakudamashi

We use the Meido Zangetshoha to open an interdimensional rift to steal the 7 dragon balls.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay