Game Design that you Can't Stand.

Started by Hakudamashi, March 19, 2015, 04:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 20, 2015, 03:18:14 AM
Just, in engine cutscenes in general
They allow you to walk around, but you're locked in the room or tunnel till everyone's done talking.
Is a real pace breaker.

Nah, not all in-engine cutscenes are bad. Just the ones that try to try to give you a bit of control when it's completely pointless. I actually like it when a game does all of its cutscenes in-engine. Especially since FMV cutscenes in older games look like ass since they were rendered in resolutions that are tiny compared to the resolutions of today's screens.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

If I can move the character, I expect to be able to move on
With a cutscene, I can skip the cutscene and go, with in-engine cutscenes, I have no choice but the sit there and wait for the conversation to end
Especially annoying in some games who decide to put the checkpoint right before on of these in-engine cutscenes.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 20, 2015, 07:17:57 AM
If I can move the character, I expect to be able to move on
With a cutscene, I can skip the cutscene and go, with in-engine cutscenes, I have no choice but the sit there and wait for the conversation to end
Especially annoying in some games who decide to put the checkpoint right before on of these in-engine cutscenes.

Not all in-engine cutscenes give you control. In fact, most don't. And there are just as many games with FMV cutscenes that you can't skip as there are games with in-engine cutscenes that you can't skip.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 21, 2015, 07:53:11 AM
Not the games I care about.

So you don't actually hate the concept of in-engine cutscenes, you just hate that some developers don't make them skippable?

Hakudamashi

Let's just file this under unskippable cutscenes.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 21, 2015, 10:26:24 AM
Let's just file this under unskippable cutscenes.

Works for me.

Games that end on a static screen after the credits and don't even bring you to the main menu. What's the point? I can't believe Zelda games did this for so long.

Games with shoehorned-in bosses. Bosses can work in FPS games but don't just make it a bullet sponge. You're better off just having a difficult and climactic final level.

Hakudamashi

I just dislike bullet sponges in general.

That terrible feeling when you think a boss, or an enemy, is taking too long to die.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 21, 2015, 11:00:13 AM
I just dislike bullet sponges in general.

That terrible feeling when you think a boss, or an enemy, is taking too long to die.

Yep, and it's not even challenging to kill them. It just takes forever and gets repetitive fast.

Hakudamashi

Then they throw 2 or 3 of them and call that "challenge"
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

sonikirby

the only game that has design that annoys me is sonic 3d blast

lozphx

GAWDS Lunatic on Fire emblem always killed me because of RNG if you didnt have the right enemies at the start you will loose OTL