Game Design that you Can't Stand.

Started by Hakudamashi, March 19, 2015, 04:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

Everything in Monster Hunter:

• Not being told enemy weak points/drop rates/weapon upgrade trees/how to get specific items/ANYTHING and needing to search for that info online
  • Enemies with ridiculous poorly-telegraphed attack patterns that give you no time to get any hits in
  • Friendly fire
  • (Nearly) One-hit kills
  • Being forced to grind to progress

Fuck Monster Hunter.

jk I <3 MH

SmashFinale

Quote from: Hakudamashi on March 27, 2015, 12:28:23 PM
Better than that
When you get AI partners who do the exact opposite.
Get stuck on walls and fumble about at the simplest tasks.

Tho, not sure if that's actual design or laziness.
So much Kirby AM. People that say Super Star's partner AI are horrible clearly never had to go through AM.

Hakudamashi

Y'know what else bothers me? When I lose even when I win.

You engage in a boss fight or whatever difficult section, and you get past it despite all odds, worse when you breeze through, but the events that followed after act like you failed horribly.

Different from "supposed to lose" fights, cause in those, if you do fail it, the story will still progress.

What I' talking about are those that do have a failure state when you fuck up, so you don't fuck up, but the events after act like you fucked up.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on April 10, 2015, 12:29:49 PM
Different from "supposed to lose" fights, cause in those, if you do fail it, the story will still progress.

Those are pretty bad too though, because you can end up wasting a bunch of items and energy on a battle that you're gonna lose anyway.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on April 10, 2015, 04:33:46 PM
Those are pretty bad too though, because you can end up wasting a bunch of items and energy on a battle that you're gonna lose anyway.
That's why when I do design those types of battles (because they CAN be done right) I either make sure the player's bag is inaccessible or that they haven't yet had a chance to purchase any. That and the battle has to end quickly.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on April 10, 2015, 04:59:46 PM
That's why when I do design those types of battles (because they CAN be done right) I either make sure the player's bag is inaccessible or that they haven't yet had a chance to purchase any. That and the battle has to end quickly.
Much this.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on April 10, 2015, 04:59:46 PM

But then why don't you just make it a cutscene instead?

Hakudamashi

They want the player to feel like shit.
Or make you fear the boss.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on April 11, 2015, 11:03:22 AM
They want the player to feel like shit.
Or make you fear the boss.

The player is hardly gonna feel anything if it's a short battle at the beginning of the game.

Hakudamashi

Megaman X says otherwise.

No I'm not speaking on behalf of Egoraptor either.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Ye Olde Swagfag

Super hard bosses that punish you at every turn.

>get hit, no chance to recover
>run away from boss, comes and kills you instantly

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Ioshyriku

1.Enemies that guard in hack and slash games which is also a huge flaw in the Touhou fighting games.
2.Not being able to pause the game when fighting a boss to use an item, this is the only thing I hate about the Ys games.

Quote from: Elija2 on March 29, 2015, 06:34:41 PM
  • Friendly fire
But it's fun seeing, for example, a Velociprey kill another Velociprey by mistake.

Elija2

Quote from: Ioshyriku on April 13, 2015, 10:21:04 PM
But it's fun seeing, for example, a Velociprey kill another Velociprey by mistake.

Sure, but it's not fun when you're charging up a move and a party member knocks you onto your ass.

Hakudamashi

You gotta take the good with the bad yo.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay