Nintendo developing smartphone games, new online service, new hardware

Started by Elija2, March 16, 2015, 09:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

Source

Nintendo Co., Ltd. and DeNA Co., Ltd. today entered into a business and capital alliance to develop and operate new game apps for smart devices and build a new multi-device membership service for consumers worldwide.

Leveraging the strength of Nintendo's intellectual property (IP) and game development skills in combination with DeNA's world-class expertise in mobile games, both companies will develop and operate new game apps based on Nintendo's IP, including its iconic game characters, for smart devices. The alliance is intended to complement Nintendo's dedicated video game systems business and extend Nintendo's reach into the vast market of smart device users worldwide. Under the alliance, DeNA will also be able to strengthen its gaming business at a global scale by leveraging Nintendo's IP. To ensure the quality of game experience that consumers expect from this alliance of Nintendo and DeNA, only new original games optimized for smart device functionality will be created, rather than porting games created specifically for the Wii U home console or the Nintendo 3DS portable system.

In order to create completely new game experiences for smart devices, all Nintendo IP will be eligible for development and exploration by the alliance. As these consumers enjoy the unique kind of gameplay found only with Nintendo, they will have the opportunity to explore even more premium experiences on Nintendo's dedicated video game platforms. Information on upcoming games and availability will be forthcoming.

Nintendo and DeNA also plan to develop an online membership service that is accessible from smart devices, PC and Nintendo systems, such as the Nintendo 3DS portable system and the Wii U home console. The membership service, which is targeted to launch in the fall of 2015, will be built on DeNA's extensive experience and capabilities in online membership services.

As part of the long-term relationship and commitment by each company, Nintendo and DeNA have also agreed to form a capital alliance. Under the capital alliance, Nintendo will acquire 15,081,000 of DeNA's treasury shares, which corresponds to 10.00 percent of its total outstanding stock, for a total of approximately 22 billion yen. DeNA will simultaneously acquire 1,759,400 of Nintendo's treasury shares, which corresponds to 1.24 percent of its outstanding stock, for a total of approximately 22 billion yen. The payment is due April 2, 2015.

Nintendo also announced in a press conference that they are developing a new platform, "Project NX", that will bridge the gap between mobile and consoles. It will still be a dedicated game system though. More info on that next year. Click here for the press conference slides.

I'm personally excited to see what kind of mobile games Nintendo comes up with, and a proper Nintendo account system is long overdue. Don't really know why they need to partner with a different company to make a new account system, but whatever. After the 3DS and Wii U, I don't trust Nintendo to develop a proper account system on their own anyway.

Ioshyriku

That is kinda neat. Now if only smartphones had real buttons.

Elija2

Quote from: Ioshyriku on March 16, 2015, 10:57:10 PM
That is kinda neat. Now if only smartphones had real buttons.

I'm assuming that Nintendo will be developing games that suit a touch screen better than buttons.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

chaoscollector

Not sure I like this... this gives them the option to make free2play Pokemon... I dont wanna pay to heal pokemon thanks.

Elija2

Quote from: chaoscollector on March 17, 2015, 10:53:16 AM
Not sure I like this... this gives them the option to make free2play Pokemon... I dont wanna pay to heal pokemon thanks.

Even if they do make a F2P Pokemon game for mobile, I'm sure they'll still be making traditional Pokemon games for their consoles.

chaoscollector

Quote from: Elija2 on March 17, 2015, 10:58:36 AM
Even if they do make a F2P Pokemon game for mobile, I'm sure they'll still be making traditional Pokemon games for their consoles.

Oh yeah for sure. I'm just worried about my own self control haha

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Hakudamashi

Well whatever they're making, let's hope they don't call it something stupid.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

chaoscollector

Quote from: Hakudamashi on March 18, 2015, 02:09:14 AM
Well whatever they're making, let's hope they don't call it something stupid.

They named their console "wii". Wouldn't suprise Me if they did! I never understood why they didn't continue using the name GameCube like how Microsoft and Sony just added to playstation and Xbox. Call if the GameCube + or GameCube 2 ya know?

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay