Resident Evil: Revelations 2

Started by Elija2, February 24, 2015, 12:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a different team worked on this port.

It should be something they can easily fix though since (at least in Raid mode) outside of the crazy hitching the framerate is usually smooth. That leads me to believe that it's a weird programming bug that's causing the issues. Also it's a widespread problem that even people with beefy PCs are experiencing, and they probably don't want negative word-of-mouth to affect sales of the later episodes. I just hope they fix it sooner rather than later.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

I'm sure they will. Capcom aren't that incompetent (anymore).

Elija2

For a limited time you can get the Complete Edition for only $29.19 at Green Man Gaming in their VIP section. That includes every episode (plus the 2 extra episodes) and extra Raid mode maps, characters, and costumes! Wow, what a deal!

And good news, Capcom just released a beta patch for the Steam version that adds split-screen co-op! See, Capcom do care (a little)!

Episode 2 is coming out later today, hopefully they've also fixed the performance issues!

And in slightly related news, Resident Evil 5 will finally be getting a Steamworks patch later today, and for the first time ever PC players will be able to buy the Gold Edition DLC. It's also on sale for only $6.80 for the next few days. Two great Resident Evil games at great prices, you won't want to miss it!

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Elija2

Capcom officially fixed most of the performance issues in the PC version. Everyone buy it now!

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

You missed all the good sales!

You can get all the episodes for $20 on Green Man Gaming. Is that not good enough for you?

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Man, first you pass on Resident Evil 6, then you pass on Resident Evil 5, and now you're passing on Revelations 2! You're missing all these screaming deals!

Elija2

Okay, I lied, there are still a few big performance issues but Capcom is (hopefully) working on them.

Honestly, from what I've played of this game so far it's probably the best Resident Evil game in a long time.

The campaign is easily better than the ones in Resident Evil 6 and Revelations. There are less bullshit moments than in RE6, less boring moments than in RER1, and the game is genuinely suspenseful and scary at times. A lot of people say that the recent RE games can't be scary because they force a partner onto you, but the partner in this game is handled wonderfully. One of the characters is unarmed and plays more of a support role (which you may hate if you want to play a co-op game where you're both guns-blazing, but that's what Raid mode is for) and the game does some really neat things with that set-up. For example, there are insta-kill enemies that can only be seen by the unarmed partner so they have to frantically point at them so the armed partner knows where to shoot. That shit is legitimately terrifying, especially since your vision starts going crazy the closer the enemy gets to you so you really start to panic. The story is pretty good so far too, but it still has its self-aware cheesy Resident Evil moments.

The Raid mode in this game is even better than in the first Revelations. There's a much bigger variety of enemies and the levels aren't all just rehashes of the campaign levels. Plus choosing the right character and levelling up is much more meaningful in this game because you unlock character-specific skills and abilities (that you can eventually transfer to other characters) that can really make-or-break a run. The only minor let-down is that there's no big open-ended stage like there was in the first Revelations, but that's easily forgiven.

My only real disappointment is that the combat mechanics are a step down from RE6, but it's understandable since they wanted this one to actually have a focus on horror. The combat is still a step-up from games like RE5 and RER1 so it's still fun, but I hope that RE7 goes back and expands on the mechanics that RE6 introduced. Either way, I highly recommend this game to Haku people who are even slightly interested in it.

Hakudamashi

But does it have mods for tig ol bitties?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on March 26, 2015, 02:07:35 AM
But does it have mods for tig ol bitties?

A Resident Evil game on PC? You know it.

Hakudamashi

Dammit, I didn't need another thing to spend money one.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay