3DS exploit lets you inject any GBC game into VC emulator without hacking

Started by Elija2, January 27, 2015, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

Someone discovered an exploit that allows you to inject any Game Boy or Game Boy Color rom into Nintendo's Virtual Console emulator without having to hack your 3DS.

All you need is an SD Card reader to move the necessary files onto your SD Card and a Game Boy (Color) Virtual Console game. Depending on the size of the VC game you own, you won't be able to inject certain games. For example, Pokemon Crystal is a 2MB game so you'll only be able to inject it into a VC game that allows that size (e.g. Shantae). You can even play unlicensed games, translation patches, and hacks!

If you want to play the Game Boy Pokemon games on your 3DS without hacking it, now you can! At least until Nintendo patches the exploit.

jkid101094

This would be amazing if I didn't already have a DSTwo that could do these things.

Maybe it'll be more useful to Wind, though it would be neat to have custom channels on the 3DS.
Really hoping this leads to the ability to do some N64 stuff but I won't get my hopes up.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 27, 2015, 02:23:03 PM
This would be amazing if I didn't already have a DSTwo that could do these things.

Maybe it'll be more useful to Wind, though it would be neat to have custom channels on the 3DS.
Really hoping this leads to the ability to do some N64 stuff but I won't get my hopes up.

This emulation is probably more accurate than what ever emulator the DSTwo has.

And I doubt the 3DS is powerful enough to do N64 emulation.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on January 27, 2015, 02:31:35 PM
This emulation is probably more accurate than what ever emulator the DSTwo has.
I imagine they'd be about the same, with the DSTwo causing much less hassle.

Quote from: Elija2 on January 27, 2015, 02:31:35 PM
And I doubt the 3DS is powerful enough to do N64 emulation.
Yes it can. All it needs is a proper flashcart or method that allows it to run in 3DS mode and boot up an emulator.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 27, 2015, 02:35:41 PM
Yes it can. All it needs is a proper flashcart or method that allows it to run in 3DS mode and boot up an emulator.

That guy doesn't understand how emulators work.

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 27, 2015, 02:40:29 PM
Oh? And you do?

Don't start being sassy with me already.

In an interview with the developers of SEGA's 3D Classics series on porting Sonic to the 3DS, the developers said that they were unable to develop a satisfactory Genesis emulator for the 3DS so they just rewrote a bunch of the game's code from scratch. These are the people who made the Virtual Console emulators for SEGA's consoles so I think they know their stuff. Needless to say, if a Genesis emulator is too much for the 3DS then an N64 emulator is out of the question.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on January 27, 2015, 03:21:09 PM
I'm a very sassy (wo)man.

Quote from: Elija2 on January 27, 2015, 03:21:09 PM

In an interview with the developers of SEGA's 3D Classics series on porting Sonic to the 3DS, the developers said that they were unable to develop a satisfactory Genesis emulator for the 3DS so they just rewrote a bunch of the game's code from scratch. These are the people who made the Virtual Console emulators for SEGA's consoles so I think they know their stuff. Needless to say, if a Genesis emulator is too much for the 3DS then an N64 emulator is out of the question.

My DSTwo can run a Genesis emulator perfectly fine and it doesn't even have half the power of the 3DS. Just because they're too inept to get one working right doesn't mean hombrew users couldn't.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 27, 2015, 03:26:24 PM
My DSTwo can run a Genesis emulator perfectly fine and it doesn't even have half the power of the 3DS. Just because they're too inept to get one working right doesn't mean hombrew users couldn't.

I wouldn't call M2 inept. Your Genesis emulator might be alright for you, but I doubt it's very good for their standards. The DSTwo also has it's own CPU built-in which I assume their emulator uses.

Someone might get an N64 emulator working on the 3DS, it would just be a slow and buggy piece of shit.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on January 27, 2015, 03:32:46 PM
The DSTwo also has it's own CPU built-in which I assume their emulator uses.
Would the same thing not apply for another 3DS flashcart?

Quote from: Elija2 on January 27, 2015, 03:32:46 PM
Someone might get an N64 emulator working on the 3DS, it would just be a slow and buggy piece of shit.
You can't say that with any certainty because by your logic the Genesis emulator for DSTwo should be a slow, buggy piece of shit, but it isn't.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 27, 2015, 03:41:02 PM
Would the same thing not apply for another 3DS flashcart?

No, the DSTwo is the only flashcart I know of that has one.

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 27, 2015, 03:41:02 PM
You can't say that with any certainty because by your logic the Genesis emulator for DSTwo should be a slow, buggy piece of shit, but it isn't.

You don't experience any slowdown or frameskipping? How many games have you tried?

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on January 27, 2015, 03:47:47 PM
You don't experience any slowdown or frameskipping? How many games have you tried?
There are other games on the Genesis besides Sonic?

And no.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 27, 2015, 03:52:40 PM
There are other games on the Genesis besides Sonic?

I thought you didn't like the classic Sonic games.

jkid101094

I don't, but I was playing them to see how the emulator would work with hacks.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

chaoscollector

Emulators dont really work on a "spec" basis. I.E, just because a genesis one doesnt operate on a 3ds doesnt mean a n64 one wont. It's more factored around the two systems being compatible more than anything. It's the same reason my PC, which has a much higher processor and graphics card etc. than a GameCube struggles to run some games correctly on Dolphin (Metroid Primes sound is screwed, twilight princess has graphic glitches, double dash has slow down). It's not that the hardware isnt up to it, it just doesn't necessarily run on the same systems. Im trying to run gamecube games on a nividia GTX 670 which it just isn't built for. Same applies with a 3ds.