SEGA planning TV and movie adaptations of game franchises

Started by Elija2, December 12, 2014, 04:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

Nintendo isn't the only company trying to expand their properties.

As Sega looks to turn more of its videogames into other forms of entertainment, it has hired former Break Media executive Evan Cholfin to lead those efforts.

Cholfin now serves as head of development and production at Tokyo-based Stories International, a joint venture of Japanese gamemaker Sega and Hakuhodo DY Group (the world's seventh-largest advertising agency) that was launched to produce films, TV shows and entertainment for digital platforms in 2011.

Of the vast library of titles that Stories has the rights to adapt, it's moving forward with "Altered Beast," "Streets of Rage," "Shinobi," "Rise of Nightmares" and "Crazy Taxi" first as English-language live action and animated spinoffs. "Virtua Fighter" and "Golden Axe" also are part of the portfolio of properties.

Source

Somehow I don't think these adaptations will be successful. The franchises they picked haven't been relevant in years, not to mention they'd be a difficult thing to adapt. What would a Crazy Taxi movie even entail? Why don't they make a new Sonic or Yakuza movie instead?

Ioshyriku

They are already making a Sonic movie...
An Altered Beast and a Golden Axe movie would be pretty cool.
Also, why not get Yu Suzuki to direct a Shenmue movie? Because by now I don't think a third game will be made...
I'd also like to see a Phantasy Star movie (preferably animated), based on the old series because the Online and Universe games aren't that interesting. Oh, and a Shining force one, same rules apply.
I think we should just wait and see.

Hakudamashi

I'd prefer if they brought back the video games first...
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Ioshyriku

Quote from: Elija2 on December 13, 2014, 09:53:23 AM
It's not like that many people are clamouring for a new Altered Beast game.
I would like a new Altered Beast game, the first was pretty fun, although I didn't get that far. Not sure about the PS2 one, one of my friends said it's cool, though.
I also want a new Crazy Taxi.

jkid101094

Lets get an animated movie of Shining Force EXA since SEGA seems to like that one.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.