Main Menu

Local Eats

Started by jkid101094, October 30, 2014, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

So here in Chicago there is at least one restaurant on every street corner. There is a Subway within' walking distance of my house with about 17 Mexican restaurants sitting right next to it. There's also these places over by my house that sell Greek food items, one of which being gyros.

I was telling Wind about how I just had one and surprisingly he had no idea what one was, which lead me to create this topic. What are your favorite local dishes that none of us have been able to try?

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

UUhhhhh, the closest place to me that sells food is a gas station...
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

I live in a university town so there are a lot of diverse restaurants around me but I don't go to them much.

A gyro isn't a local dish. You made it sound like this thread was about specialty menu items, not things you can get anywhere.

jkid101094

You can't get them anywhere though. Places like Jamacia don't have Tacobell much less Gyros.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

So you consider Taco Bell to be a local eat?

jkid101094

Yes. As many of them as there are there are places you can't find them. That makes them exclusive to the places they're at, no?

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Yes, exclusive to the thousands of Taco Bell locations around the world.

jkid101094

Except in places like Jamacia that don't have them.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

The point is that it's not local if you can get it somewhere else.

jkid101094

Then what would you call it?

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Ioshyriku

There is a restaurant in my home town, called Lordinu, who has really great pizza dood.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on October 30, 2014, 12:53:52 PM
Then what would you call it?

Uhh...just food? Unless you're talking about food from a specific culture or ethnicity like Greek gyros (even though you can get them outside of Greece, that's where they originated from and they are a part of that culture) then I guess you could call it ethnic cuisine.

When I think of local eats, I think of a food from a local restaurant that you can't get anywhere else (like some kind of specialty dish).

Hakudamashi

Ackee and saltfish is Jamaica's speciality dish, but you can get that elsewhere.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 30, 2014, 01:21:32 PM
Ackee and saltfish is Jamaica's speciality dish, but you can get that elsewhere.

When I said specialty dish I meant something unique to a specific restaurant.

Hakudamashi

Tacos aren't unique to Taco Bell.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

No but Doritos Locos Tacos are.

jkid101094

Anyone remember Buffalo Grillers?

Of course they don't. They were so good that they had to discontinue them. ;~;

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Have any of you guys had poutine before? It's not really a local eat but it's considered to be a Canadian food and is hard to find anywhere else.

Hakudamashi

Do you guys have jerk chicken?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

I don't even know what that is so maybe?

Hakudamashi

Jerk meat is essentially cooking meat with special "jerk" seasonings, but the meat is cooked to the point of being burnt/charred.

So it's more or less burnt food that doesn't taste burnt.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Well it's probably something that you can get in Canada depending on where you live but I haven't had it before.