Three Movies you should most definitely check out!

Started by shadowDOESrock, October 12, 2014, 06:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

#1 Snowpiercer (South Korea, 2013/4)

Another masterpiece by director Bong Joon-Ho (The Host, Mother). Starring Chris Evans (Captain America, Scott Pilgrim vs The World) and Song Kang-ho (The Good, the Bad, and the Weird, The Host) as well as Ko A-Sung (The Host) and John Hurt (Alien, Harry Potter).

This is one of the greatest films I have seen in a long time. Especially in terms of new releases. The Film is exclusivly set on a moving train - an arc - one that crosses the entire Planet endlessly, thanks to a perpetual-motion engine. The World has frozen over, and the train is the last habitable place for humanity. All that is left of humanity - as small as it is - is on that train.

This Movie will drag you through one of the best, and most wonderfully shot 2 hours of social commentary. Nothing is placed without thought. Every scene has a certain point it wants to get across. It is film filled with Metaphors, some of which one might not understand. Hhowever, the movie is so well structured, that most of it should be understandable by most.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2 Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow / All You Need Is Kill (OT) (USA, 2014)

Aaaand this is the complete opposite of the previous movie. This is just adrenaline-pupming action, with some great humour and really neat writing. 

Simple Premise: Major William Cage, played by Tom Cruise, is an officer who never actually fought a battle. Unceremoniously he is dropped into battle and killed within minutes. He, however, finds himself inexplicably thrown into a time loop-forcing him to live out the same brutal combat over and over, fighting and dying again...and again.

But with each battle, Cage becomes able to engage the adversaries with increasing skill, alongside Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt). And, as Cage and Rita take the fight to the aliens, each repeated encounter gets them one step closer to defeating the enemy."

Directed by Doug Liman (Bourne Identity, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) and based on the fantastic japanese novel 'All You Need Is Kill' - This is one of the better sci-fi action movies you will have seen in quite some time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 The Imposter (UK, 2012)

I've only chosen recent Movies for a reason, as people seem to think a lot being released recently is just the film industry scraping the bottom. I'm not certain if I should still count this movie, as it is from 2012. But, what the hell, it's a great movie.

Now, this one here... is a Mockumentary. A story told as if it were a real documentary. It's about a family whose son disspeared in 1994. As the family almost lost hope of their son even being alive, he suddenly gets found in 1997.... in Spain. Ofcourse there was an uncertainty, but they sent someone to the consulate nevertheless. After seeing the now almost grown up boy, it was no question, that was him.

Back at home, the FBI does a fresh start on the case to find out who was the kidnapper.
And that's when things start to get.... weird.

shadowDOESrock

Elija2

If nobody cares about my manga, then certainly nobody is gonna give a shit about your movies.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 12, 2014, 12:13:25 PM
If nobody cares about my manga, then certainly nobody is gonna give a shit about your movies.

As a film enthusiast, that makes me very, very sad.

Elija2

I'll watch one of these if you read one of my manga.

shadowDOESrock

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 12, 2014, 12:54:00 PM
Not if you don't want it to.

I dont support piracy, unless the Item isnt legally sold here.

Elija2

So I watched Snowpiercer. Here are my thoughts:

I thought it was really good. Post-apocalyptic movies have been done a million times before but I thought the concept of a moving train holding the last of civilization was pretty neat. Even though the entire movie was set on a train, there were actually a variety of interesting-looking locations. Each sector of the train had it's own purpose and the movie made good use of each one. The story itself was really captivating throughout the entire film. The cinematography was also excellent (although a couple of shots were kinda bad like when the train was crashing through the rocks) and I thought the acting was overall pretty good.

I had a few problems with the movie though. For one, the entire scene set in the classroom was terrible. I know it's supposed to show that the kids are being served propaganda but that whole scene was way too silly in a movie that was up to that point taking itself seriously. I mean, did they really need to sing a song and did the teacher really need to be so perky while spouting her propaganda?

Secondly, Tilda Swinton's character was really annoying. She should have died sooner.

Thirdly, the ending was kinda dumb. There's no way that Yona and the kid should have been able to survive that explosion just by being hugged. I mean, the train fell down a freaking mountain. Also, it seemed like the movie was going for a happy ending by showing that there is still hope for humanity, but they were stranded in the middle of nowhere with no food. There's no way they'd survive for longer than a few days.

And fourthly, some things are left unexplained in the end. How did Wilford know that the world was gonna freeze over? Where did the explosive drugs and the shit they put in the protein bars even come from? Why could Yona see a bit into the future? Why were Namgoong and Yona imprisoned in the first place?

Nevertheless, the movie was still really enjoyable.

Verdict: 8 explosive drugs out of 10

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 15, 2014, 10:41:29 AM
Thirdly, the ending was kinda dumb. There's no way that Yona and the kid should have been able to survive that explosion just by being hugged. I mean, the train fell down a freaking mountain. Also, it seemed like the movie was going for a happy ending by showing that there is still hope for humanity, but they were stranded in the middle of nowhere with no food. There's no way they'd survive for longer than a few days.

And fourthly, some things are left unexplained in the end. How did Wilford know that the world was gonna freeze over?

It wasn't supposed to be 'happy' ending, that's why we get to see the Icebear. Live will presist on earth, even without us and the World Freezing over thing would be the natural reaction of the in the opening described experiment.

Elija2

Quote from: Crystal Candy on October 15, 2014, 11:37:33 AM
It wasn't supposed to be 'happy' ending, that's why we get to see the Icebear. Live will presist on earth, even without us and the World Freezing over thing would be the natural reaction of the in the opening described experiment.

Then wouldn't it have been better if Yona and the kid just died on the train like everyone else?

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 15, 2014, 12:06:41 PM
Then wouldn't it have been better if Yona and the kid just died on the train like everyone else?

Mmm, it would have been more realistic, sure, but that kinda would defeat its purpose.
The suspense of disbelief that they survived such a thing, a what seems to be happy ending, crossed with the imagery of a beautiful Icebear, that might give you the joy that life can exist very well outside of the Train, only the realise that this probably means the end for Yona...

Kind of a: Even if we survive against all odds, something will replace us sooner or later.

Elija2

I suppose. Also it feels good to know that after everything they went through, a few of them actually did make it outside of the train, even if they didn't last long.