SEGA shifts 1/3 of their developers to mobile games

Started by Elija2, September 20, 2014, 11:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

Sega Sammy Holdings Inc. (6460), the Japanese publisher of the Sonic the Hedgehog, has tasked almost a third of its game unit's developers with creating applications for smartphones.

The Tokyo-based entertainment company has increased the portion of its 2,000 developers designing titles for phones and tablets as more gamers go mobile, Hideki Okamura, president of game unit Sega Corp., said in an interview yesterday. Okamura didn't say if Sega intends to develop mobile versions of its popular PC and console titles, such as Virtua Fighter and Phantasy Star. Company spokesman Yasushi Nagumo said no Sonic titles are in the works.

"As the new devices have come out and created a market for smartphone applications, we're putting a lot of resources into that," Okamura said on the sidelines of the annual Tokyo Game Show. "We're shifting developers from other areas."
Source

SEGA has had a couple of big successes on mobile so it makes sense that they would shift more of their developers to that platform. They're also teaming up with another company to localize their mobile games for Europe and North America.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on September 20, 2014, 11:15:08 AM
They're also teaming up with another company to localize their mobile games for Europe and North America.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on September 20, 2014, 11:59:48 AM
Need a towel?

That'd be great, thanks.

Anyway, this is bullshit - but it doesnt matter what I think. All I can do is delete Sonic Dash and Crazy Taxi City Rush, so that they at least get no money from me.

I also love how that report has 'Virtua Fighter' as example. There wasnt a new one in, like, a decade.

Elija2

Quote from: Crystal Candy on September 20, 2014, 12:12:38 PM
I also love how that report has 'Virtua Fighter' as example. There wasnt a new one in, like, a decade.

There's barely been any new sequels to old SEGA IPs in the last decade. Think about that for a bit.

And to be fair, they put out a new version of VF5 just a few years ago.

TheGameNinja

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Chain Chronicle just came out on iOS and Android. I've only played a bit of it but it's pretty fun. It's free so no harm in trying it.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Yeah, apparently the art is drawn by legit anime and manga artists.

You should play it.

Elija2

Hey guys, Chain Chronicle is pretty good. Even though it's F2P I've never felt like I have to pay money to continue. There is a cooldown on how much you can play at a time, but that only makes it the perfect pick-up-and-play kind of game. I highly recommend it.

And jkid, it even has plant girls! I know you love your plant girls!

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Well then I guess you'll have to play the game to find out what they look like!

Elija2

Chain Chronicle is rated 9+ for the following: Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay