Anime Makes no Sense to me

Started by jkid101094, August 06, 2014, 08:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

Can someone explain this to me in English? Wind was telling me something about target demographics and whatever the hell and I'm just sitting on my end of the computer going, "What the fuck are you on about?"

For reference let me post our discussion:

Quote[1:42:12 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: I want a Coke.
[1:47:45 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid:
[1:47:55 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: So what's the deal with this anime?
[1:48:25 AM] John Byfield: That was a post credits scene
[1:48:47 AM] John Byfield: They normally do this silly shit to balance out all the serious that happens
[1:49:14 AM] John Byfield: Mirai Nikki is one of my favourite anime of all time
[1:49:22 AM] John Byfield: fukthehaters
[1:49:28 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: It looks fucking stupid.
[1:49:35 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: "Marry me."
[1:49:47 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: *gets arm blown off while boyfriend is shot*
[1:50:08 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: In no context is that not stupidly overdramatic.
[1:50:41 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: Hell, even while her hand is gushing purple blood she just fucking stands there not giving two fucks.
[1:50:56 AM] John Byfield: That's nice
[1:52:17 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: Sounds almost like 999 to me from what I've seen, which, as we all know, was absolute shit.
[1:52:37 AM] John Byfield: whatever you say kid
[1:53:47 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: *shrug*
[1:54:35 AM] John Byfield: Well you've already formed your opinion by watching random scenes without context on the internet
[1:54:48 AM] John Byfield: So I'm not gonna bother trying to convince you otherwise
[1:55:00 AM] John Byfield: Doesn't stop it from being one of my favourites
[1:57:53 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: Oh, I have an opinion, but why is that stopping you?
[1:58:16 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: I tried to convince you Game Grumps was good even thought you had no intent on caring.
[1:58:20 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: And Ruto.
[1:58:51 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: Right now I'm reading the opinions of other people and I honestly can't find haters.
[1:59:19 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: Apparently everyone loves Yuno, whoever the fuck that is.
[1:59:28 AM] John Byfield: Gasai Yuno
[1:59:32 AM] John Byfield: The pink haired girl
[1:59:53 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: The one that looks psychopathic in ever promotional image?
[2:00:02 AM] John Byfield: Yes, that's the one
[2:00:14 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: So why do people like her again?
[2:00:30 AM] John Byfield: Because we enjoy how crazy she is
[2:00:42 AM] John Byfield: She's deceptively sweet
[2:00:51 AM] John Byfield: And no action is too extreme for her
[2:01:14 AM] John Byfield: in short, she's fun to watch
[2:01:59 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: She sounds over the top and disgustingly corny.
[2:02:59 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: That's what I hate about these "mature" anime. They try so hard to be over the top that they come off as stupid.
[2:03:15 AM] John Byfield: ...
[2:03:20 AM] John Byfield: It's a Shounen
[2:03:25 AM] John Byfield: That's kinda the point
[2:03:33 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: What the fuck is a Shounen?
[2:04:01 AM] John Byfield: A Shounen is an anime/manga written for teenagers/children
[2:04:21 AM] John Byfield: With more emphasis on over the top antics
[2:04:34 AM] John Byfield: As opposed to Seinen
[2:04:54 AM] John Byfield: Which are anime/manga for adults/young adults
[2:05:08 AM] John Byfield: With more grounded and "mature" writing and themes
[2:05:31 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: So would you consider stuff like Elfin Lied Shounen?
[2:06:11 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: Because that's the shit I hate. I hear it has a great story but gore for the sake of gore just makes me want to bash my head off the wall.
[2:06:22 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: Just like the scene I mentioned earlier.
[2:06:24 AM] John Byfield: It's not a genre
[2:06:29 AM] John Byfield: It's a demographic
[2:06:46 AM | Edited 2:06:59 AM] John Byfield: And unfortunately for you, Elfen Lied is a Seinen
[2:07:26 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: Well like I said about that one scene.
[2:07:47 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: She got her hand blown off and she doesn't react to it at all.
[2:08:08 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: And to me that's like, "Are you fucking kidding me?"
[2:08:20 AM] John Byfield: But there's the difference between Mirai Nikki and Elfen Lied, if you noticed
[2:08:46 AM] John Byfield: Mirai Nikki, the Shounen, glorifies the gore and goes out of it's way to be "silly"
[2:08:57 AM] John Byfield: Elfen Lied, the gore just happens
[2:09:10 AM] John Byfield: Things just happen
[2:09:24 AM] John Byfield: And the characters have more grounded reactions
[2:10:00 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: In that sense Elfin Lied sounds like the better anime, and I couldn't stand it.
[2:10:34 AM] John Byfield: Well, it is your demographic, so I'd hope Elfen Lied would be your preference
[2:11:08 AM] John Byfield: But if it's the gore you're against, there's plenty of Seinen anime without it
[2:11:23 AM] John Byfield: Like Shoujo Cossete that you haven't finished
[2:12:27 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: Shoujo Cossete is awesome, it's just me general distaste for anime that keeps me from finishing it.
[2:12:57 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: For whatever reason Big O and Bomberman Jetters pulled me in like nothing else at the time.
[2:13:30 AM] John Byfield: You were younger then
[2:13:44 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: What? A year or two?
[2:13:51 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: I still love those anime.
[2:14:12 AM] Eternal Goddess jkid: I'd probably watch Big O again.

For those of you who care, here is a list of anime I've cared enough to finish. Maybe you can spot a pattern?

The Big O
B Gata H Kei
Bomberman Jetters
Carnival Phantasm
Kissxsis (TV)
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
Persona 4: The Animation
Pokemon Origins
Sakura Taisen: New York NY

...and then some I never finished but still liked:

Blackā˜…Rock Shooter (TV)
Galaxy Angel
Mayoi Neko Overrun
Shojo Cosette

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on August 06, 2014, 08:39:07 PM
You don't like anime but you love anime girls?

But I don't expect logic from a person who hates 999.
Because I need to like a medium to like it's styling?

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

Obviously I don't considering I've finished 10 anime. Something obviously made me finish those 10 and that's why this topic exists, for you to help me find it, not for you to ridicule my opinions.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Crystal Candy on August 06, 2014, 09:25:55 PM
(the same way I dont like our equivilant of shounens).
You mean like Bayformers?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.