Main Menu

Sonic Game Controls

Started by SegaNerd33, June 24, 2014, 05:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SegaNerd33

Hello guys SegaNerd33 and I am a new member so I wanna start a nice simple chat.Out of your favorite sonic games what are some game mechanics you would changes and why?

Elija2

I would make it so that there is a button dedicated to rolling in and out of a ball. If you're running down a slope and you press the button you'd roll into a ball and accelerate. Then if you want to get out of a roll without jumping you can just press the button again and go right back to running without losing momentum. If you're at a standstill pressing and holding the button would obviously rev up a spindash. If you run off a cliff and see an enemy below that you think you're gonna land on you could press the button to roll into a ball and bounce high off its head.

I would also get rid of boosting (although they already did that with Lost World) and bring back Tails and Knuckles as playable characters with their respective abilities (flying and climbing/gliding).

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on June 24, 2014, 06:46:57 PM
I would make it so that there is a button dedicated to rolling in and out of a ball. If you're running down a slope and you press the button you'd roll into a ball and accelerate. Then if you want to get out of a roll without jumping you can just press the button again and go right back to running without losing momentum. If you're at a standstill pressing and holding the button would obviously rev up a spindash. If you run off a cliff and see an enemy below that you think you're gonna land on you could press the button to roll into a ball and bounce high off its head.
Sonic Adventure 2 did that...
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on June 25, 2014, 03:42:35 AM
Sonic Adventure 2 did that...

You couldn't roll into a ball while moving without stopping and you couldn't roll into a ball in the air.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on June 25, 2014, 05:33:36 AM
You couldn't roll into a ball while moving without stopping and you couldn't roll into a ball in the air.
You could do the former by tapping B instead of holding it and the later had no point because the Homing Attack and standard Jump covered all of it's uses in the first place. The bounce bracelet was way more useful.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on June 25, 2014, 05:33:36 AM
But you spind-dash away anyway, so it's not really a big deal.

And I'd prefer having the bounce bracelet, or the stomp for that.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on June 25, 2014, 07:01:04 AM
You could do the former by tapping B instead of holding it and the later had no point because the Homing Attack and standard Jump covered all of it's uses in the first place. The bounce bracelet was way more useful.

I'm pretty sure tapping B would do a somersault. And the homing attack kills your momentum so it's not ideal if you're about to fall on an enemy.

Quote from: Hakudamashi on June 25, 2014, 07:05:08 AM
But you spind-dash away anyway, so it's not really a big deal.

And I'd prefer having the bounce bracelet, or the stomp for that.

As I said, it kills momentum. If you're running down a hill in the Genesis Sonic games you don't stop to rev up a spindash, you just press down and roll away.

Bouncing should be a shield powerup and not a permanent ability, and there can be a different button for that.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on June 25, 2014, 08:00:04 AM
I'm pretty sure tapping B would do a somersault. And the homing attack kills your momentum so it's not ideal if you're about to fall on an enemy.
Maybe I'm thinking of SADX, then?
Jumping in general really kills your momentum, though. Even in the shitty classic games.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on June 25, 2014, 08:02:21 AM
Maybe I'm thinking of SADX, then?
Jumping in general really kills your momentum, though. Even in the shitty classic games.

Yeah, in SA1 you could roll into a ball while running. I have no idea why no other 3D Sonic game let you do this.

And I know that jumping kills your momentum, but I'm talking about if you ran off of a cliff without jumping you could roll into a ball mid-air to protect yourself from enemies below.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on June 25, 2014, 08:12:20 AM
Yeah, in SA1 you could roll into a ball while running. I have no idea why no other 3D Sonic game let you do this.
Sonic Heroes?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on June 25, 2014, 08:30:46 AM
Sonic Heroes?

I'm pretty sure you either did a weird somersault attack thing or you'd stop and enter a spindash sort of move.

Hakudamashi

Holding the button down for a sec and then releasing it made you roll
Holding it down till your teamates came behind you made you rocket accel
Tapping the button did the somersault.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay