Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection shutting down May 20th

Started by Elija2, February 26, 2014, 06:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGameNinja

Quote from: Elija2 on February 28, 2014, 05:15:55 PM
The Nintendo WiFi Connection servers are separate from the Nintendo Network servers. And please, as if MK8 and Smash U/3DS will ever have as many players as MKWii and Brawl. Also, servers aren't that expensive to run. Many old online games that are barely played anymore still have their servers up.

The theory on why Nintendo is shutting down the WiFi servers is that they use GameSpy servers (while NN uses Amazon Cloud servers) and the owners of GameSpy are being greedy and asking for more money to keep the servers up.

Are you sure about that? Back around Christmas, ALL of Nintendo's online services tanked because of people registering new Nintendo Netword IDs.

Elija2

Quote from: TheGameNinja on March 01, 2014, 10:24:50 AM
Are you sure about that? Back around Christmas, ALL of Nintendo's online services tanked because of people registering new Nintendo Netword IDs.

I'm pretty sure the Wii and DS servers weren't down for that long. I'm not sure why those servers went down (perhaps the typical Christmas rush, but who the hell was bringing their Wii or DS online on Christmas 2013?), but it definitely wasn't as bad as the Wii U/3DS server outage.

I think I got my facts slightly wrong though. Nintendo WiFi Connection uses GameSpy servers, but Nintendo Network might not be using Amazon's servers.