Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection shutting down May 20th

Started by Elija2, February 26, 2014, 06:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

http://www.nintendo.com.au/termination-of-nintendo-wi-fi-connection

As of May 20th, 2014, the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service will be discontinued and it will no longer be possible to use online features of Nintendo DS/DSi and Wii software such as online play, matchmaking and leaderboards.

The following services are not affected by the termination, and will continue to be available after May 20th:

• Internet Channel
  • Nintendo DS Browser
  • Nintendo DSi Browser
  • Nintendo DSi Shop
  • Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Pay & Play
  • Wii Shop Channel
  • YouTube

Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will not be affected but it will not be possible to use online features of Wii software played in Wii Mode on Wii U, and of Nintendo DS games played on Nintendo 3DS family systems.

This is pretty shitty news. I don't know why they're shutting off the online for ALL Wii/DS games when a couple of them are still very popular (Mario Kart, Pokemon). There are even a couple games still being released for the systems that have online play (Just Dance 2014 was released last October and is the first in the series to contain online multiplayer). This will also likely make mods such as Project M unplayable online as well. Y'all better do some final online gaming on those systems while you can.

jkid101094

Fans have set up severs before for things like this, so I'm not worried.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 26, 2014, 06:30:34 PM
Fans have set up severs before for things like this, so I'm not worried.

Fan servers aren't possible for DS games. The Wii has the Homebrew Channel so some games might be possible to play online with mods but that will probably only happen to one or two games. How many fan servers for Xbox and PS2 games have there been?

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on February 26, 2014, 06:59:35 PM
Fan servers aren't possible for DS games.
Let me direct you to Pokecheck and sites just like it. You know, the plethora of sites that let you create your own Global Trading System and download hacked Pokemon. The exploits require you to enter a separate DNS they provide, meaning that you skip using Nintendo's servers entirely if I understand the process correctly. Granted this is still only possible by using an exploit, but it could be the first stepping stone in the right direction.

The Wii has the Homebrew Channel so some games might be possible to play online with mods but that will probably only happen to one or two games.

There may only be servers for two games, but how many others do people actually play online in the first place?

How many fan servers for Xbox and PS2 games have there been?
Probably not many considering one is pay to play and the other doesn't support online right out of the box and only has like two games that do. Same as with the Gamecube.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

MAYBE I JUST WANT TO PLAY ZELDA PHANTOM HOURGLASS ONLINE IN THE YEAR 2014, ALRIGHT?

jkid101094

I didn't even know that game had online features in the first place.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 27, 2014, 04:16:27 AM
I didn't even know that game had online features in the first place.

You missed out on one of the best online DS games ever.

SmashFinale

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 27, 2014, 12:41:03 PM
Did I now?

Well, the multiplayer is good enough that nobody can complain that it's in a Zelda game.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

If Nintendo announced that the next Zelda game will have multiplayer, people would complain saying that Zelda games shouldn't have multiplayer. Both DS Zelda games show that multiplayer can work in a Zelda game if done right.

Tanassy

This is pretty much just to free up their servers and such for the new games, like MK8 and Smash Bros U/3DS.

And if the fans care about those franchises, they'll get them on their new platforms. Servers come and go, this is no secret. This happens to all games eventually, even MMOs. And considering Nintendo's online service is free, and servers are expensive to run, this is a move that makes complete sense.

Elija2

Quote from: Tana on February 28, 2014, 05:08:57 PM
This is pretty much just to free up their servers and such for the new games, like MK8 and Smash Bros U/3DS.

And if the fans care about those franchises, they'll get them on their new platforms. Servers come and go, this is no secret. This happens to all games eventually, even MMOs. And considering Nintendo's online service is free, and servers are expensive to run, this is a move that makes complete sense.

The Nintendo WiFi Connection servers are separate from the Nintendo Network servers. And please, as if MK8 and Smash U/3DS will ever have as many players as MKWii and Brawl. Also, servers aren't that expensive to run. Many old online games that are barely played anymore still have their servers up.

The theory on why Nintendo is shutting down the WiFi servers is that they use GameSpy servers (while NN uses Amazon Cloud servers) and the owners of GameSpy are being greedy and asking for more money to keep the servers up.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay