Elija2 recommends some manga

Started by Elija2, February 10, 2014, 07:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

The #1 Source for Elija2-approved manga, guaranteed!

Elija2's Ranking
1. Saturn Apartments (Sci-fi, Slice of Life)
2. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer (Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Romance, Supernatural)
3. Wandering Son (Drama, Romance, School Life, Slice of Life)
4. The Music of Marie (Drama, Fantasy, Romance)
5. Onani Master Kurosawa (Drama, Psychological, Romance, School Life, Slice of Life)
6. Voices of a Distant Star (Drama, Mecha, Psychological, Romance, Sci-fi)
7. Battle Royale (Action, Drama, Horror, Psychological, Romance)
8. Planetes (Comedy, Drama, Psychological, Romance, Sci-fi)
9. 5 Centimeters per Second (Drama, Romance, School Life)
10. Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms (Drama, Historical, Slice of Life)
11. A Distant Neighborhood (Drama, Psychological, Slice of Life)
12. River's Edge (Drama, Psychological, School Life, Slice of Life)
13. Our Happy Hours (Drama, Romance, Slice of Life)
14. Uzumaki (Drama, Horror, Mystery, Psychological, Supernatural)
15. Cat Street (Drama, Romance, School Life, Slice of Life)
16. Undercurrent (Drama, Slice of Life)
17. Getenrou (Mystery, Sci-fi, Supernatural)
18. Solanin (Drama, Romance, Slice of Life)

~ORIGINAL OP~
Years ago I went through a manga kick where I just read a bunch of free doujins on websites like Mangafox. Unfortunately the majority of them sucked which kinda turned me off of mangas. Even though I tried only looking for good ones, it seems like anything with female nudity will get high reviews. However, I do remember a couple that I actually really enjoyed. Hopefully my memory isn't fuzzy and they don't actually suck.

Onani Master Kurosawa (Masturbation Master Kurosawa)
I'm not gonna lie, the only reason I read this one was because it had the word 'masturbation' in the title. However, even though it sounds like your typical pervy manga it's actually a really great story. It's about some sick weirdo named Kurosawa who likes to jack off in the womens bathroom in his school. One day he's caught by a troubled girl who promises to keep it a secret if Kurosawa gets revenge on her bullies for her. I know it sounds silly and weird, but the story takes itself seriously and it's really well done. Read this if you want a mature psychological drama about high-school life.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
Some guy named Yuuhi wakes up one day with a talking lizard on the end of his bed. The lizard tells Yuuhi that he is a knight who must join forces with other knights (each with their own talking animal companions) and a playful princess to prevent Earth from being destroyed by a giant hammer floating in space. Unfortunately Yuuhi doesn't care about saving Earth, but he does care about serving the princess. Unfortunately the princess herself only wants to save the world so she can destroy it herself. I really enjoyed the characters in this one, although I do recall the story getting a little weird near the end. Read this if you want a comedic fantasy set in a normal town with normal people.

So, those are my only two recommendations. What are yours? Preferably not something with a million chapters or unbearable fanservice.

Ioshyriku

There was a really good Touhou manga, but I forgot it's title.

Hakudamashi

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni(When the Cicida Flies)
It's a psychological thriller about genocide. Scared the fuck outta me as a kid.

Mirai Nikki(The Future Diary)
Although I personally would prefer you watch the anime adaptation, the manga is still a good read. It's about a survival game where the winner becomes the new GOD.

Magi
Yes, it is a long ongoing manga, but seriously, I think everybody ought to give it a chance. It a manga about politics and faith and how Kings/People in charge should go about their duties.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 11, 2014, 05:18:18 AM
Magi
Yes, it is a long ongoing manga, but seriously, I think everybody ought to give it a chance.

215 chapters. No fucking thanks.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on February 11, 2014, 07:05:51 AM
215 chapters. No fucking thanks.
I beg you to at least give it a shot...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 11, 2014, 07:13:19 AM
I beg you to at least give it a shot...

I absolutely refuse to read anything that long, especially if it's ongoing. I hate waiting for a slow trickle of new chapters.

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 11, 2014, 05:18:18 AM
I think everybody ought to give it a chance.
Quote from: Elija2 on February 11, 2014, 07:05:51 AM
215 chapters.
Are you fucking serious? That's like telling someone to go read every issue of Spiderman. No fucking thank you, I have better things to do with my time.

Besides Kay loves Magi so I'm obligated to hate it. Brotherly duties and all.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

It's not Magi's fault you guys didn't become aware of it when it just came out.
And I don't see the harm is just reading one chapter a week, since it updates weekly. You guys are seriously missing out.

Anyway, I'm more of an anime guy than a manga guy unfortunately. Any manga I tell you about are gonna most likey be ones I find out by their anime adaptations.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 11, 2014, 07:31:00 AM
It's not Magi's fault you guys didn't become aware of it when it just came out.
And I don't see the harm is just reading one chapter a week, since it updates weekly. You guys are seriously missing out.

If I became aware of it when it just came out (2009), I'd still be waiting for an ending years later.
And reading a chapter a week would still take over 4 years. Who knows if there will be another 200 chapters by then.

Also, I just remembered another manga that I liked.

Voices of a Distant Star
This one is based on an OVA by the great Makoto Shinkai, but I think the manga tells the story better. A schoolgirl is recruited to fight in an alien war in space, leaving her close friend behind. The only way for them to communicate is through text-messages, but as the girl travels deeper into space the messages take longer and longer to arrive. Very short and very sweet.

Hakudamashi

Didn't know you cared for that kind of thing.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 11, 2014, 07:50:23 AM
Didn't know you cared for that kind of thing.

I feel like a lot of anime and manga go on for far too long and dilute the story, so I want to avoid that by only reading fairly short manga.

The longest one I recommended is 65 chapters, so preferably something at around that length or shorter.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on February 11, 2014, 08:11:31 AM
I feel like a lot of anime and manga go on for far too long and dilute the story, so I want to avoid that by only reading fairly short manga.

The longest one I recommended is 65 chapters, so preferably something at around that length or shorter.
Knowing this, I still say give Magi a shot.

And I was referring to Voices of a Distant Star
Didn't think you cared for sweet touching stories.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 11, 2014, 08:26:01 AM
Knowing this, I still say give Magi a shot.

And I was referring to Voices of a Distant Star
Didn't think you cared for sweet touching stories.

Never.

And what makes you think I wouldn't care for sweet touching stories? If a story is good I'll enjoy it.

Hakudamashi

Maybe if you weren't so cynical about everything.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 11, 2014, 08:48:38 AM
Maybe if you weren't so cynical about everything.

I'm not cynical about everything.

Only things that are worth being cynical about.