Elija2 recommends some manga

Started by Elija2, February 10, 2014, 07:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on March 05, 2015, 05:30:56 PM
Because he didn't care to change anything in the first place, then why'd he need to go through that?
He's like, right back where he started.

It's not like he meant to go back in time.

Quote from: Hakudamashi on March 05, 2015, 05:30:56 PM
Yes
I said nothing cause
Man, where do I start?

How about anywhere.

I'm particularly interested because it was probably my least favourite of the ones I recommended (not that I think it's bad, just that I didn't like it as much as the others).

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on March 05, 2015, 05:34:12 PM
It's not like he meant to go back in time.
Exactly
He didn't want to go back, he didn't want to change anything, he was content where he was, he though about it on the train, yeah, but he didn't wish to change it.
The whole "The past is best left as it is" moral doesn't really work for me if the main character didn't want to change things in the first place.

Quote from: Elija2 on March 05, 2015, 05:34:12 PM
I'm particularly interested because it was probably my least favourite of the ones I recommended (not that I think it's bad, just that I didn't like it as much as the others).
Why's that?
Was it cause Sakuraba died?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on March 05, 2015, 05:41:31 PM
Exactly
He didn't want to go back, he didn't want to change anything, he was content where he was, he though about it on the train, yeah, but he didn't wish to change it.
The whole "The past is best left as it is" moral doesn't really work for me if the main character didn't want to change things in the first place.

Who cares if he didn't want to change things immediately at the beginning of the manga? It's not like he could because he hadn't gone back in time yet!

Quote from: Hakudamashi on March 05, 2015, 05:41:31 PM
Why's that?
Was it cause Sakuraba died?

I dunno, I guess it just didn't grip me as much as the others did.

Although I haven't read Cat Street in years so maybe I like it better than that one.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on March 05, 2015, 05:45:15 PM
Who cares if he didn't want to change things immediately at the beginning of the manga? It's not like he could because he hadn't gone back in time yet!
If the thought of going back and changing things never even crossed his mind, then why did the travel happen at all? What's the reason for it? How did it even happen? Why him? Does it happen to others?
I'm not seeing the catalyst that started this journey, and the "payoff" from said journey wasn't satisfying, to me at least, cause he's back where started, he learned a lesson that, quite arguably, he didn't even need to learn, and he got a book, that we don't get to see, so whatever.
The whole thing felt pointless.

Quote from: Elija2 on March 05, 2015, 05:45:15 PM
I dunno, I guess it just didn't grip me as much as the others did.
Well
I for one found all the mysteries to be pretty great, I got pretty invested in each of them, and the cast I found to be pretty funny, especially Sakuraba.
Then everything actually came together in the end and went for a really dark turn, but it didn't feel unnatural and I found it genuinely shocking.
It's good pacing could just be a product of it being really short.
But yeah, I liked it a lot.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on March 05, 2015, 05:54:19 PM
If the thought of going back and changing things never even crossed his mind, then why did the travel happen at all? What's the reason for it? How did it even happen? Why him? Does it happen to others?
I'm not seeing the catalyst that started this journey, and the "payoff" from said journey wasn't satisfying, to me at least, cause he's back where started, he learned a lesson that, quite arguably, he didn't even need to learn, and he got a book, that we don't get to see, so whatever.
The whole thing felt pointless.

How he time-travelled isn't relevant to the plot at all. And I don't know what you mean by catalyst and payoff. He visited his mother's grave and began thinking about his past. Is that not a good enough catalyst for you? The payoff was that he could return back to his family after learning more about his parents. And yes, if the events of the manga never transpired then he would have never needed to learn any lesson, but I think that's the case for pretty much every story ever.

Quote from: Hakudamashi on March 05, 2015, 05:54:19 PM
Well
I for one found all the mysteries to be pretty great, I got pretty invested in each of them, and the cast I found to be pretty funny, especially Sakuraba.
Then everything actually came together in the end and went for a really dark turn, but it didn't feel unnatural and I found it genuinely shocking.
It's good pacing could just be a product of it being really short.
But yeah, I liked it a lot.

Well, I'm glad you liked it.

And damn, I think you've read every single manga I recommended. Well, except for Voices of a Distant Star. You plan on reading that one?

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on March 05, 2015, 06:18:43 PM
How he time-travelled isn't relevant to the plot at all. And I don't know what you mean by catalyst and payoff. He visited his mother's grave and began thinking about his past. Is that not a good enough catalyst for you?
No.

Quote from: Elija2 on March 05, 2015, 06:18:43 PM
And damn, I think you've read every single manga I recommended. Well, except for Voices of a Distant Star. You plan on reading that one?
I watched the anime
How different is it?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on March 05, 2015, 06:23:40 PM
No.

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Quote from: Hakudamashi on March 05, 2015, 06:23:40 PM
I watched the anime
How different is it?

Different and short enough to be worth a read. I thought the manga was better.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

I don't want to spoil the ending.

Hakudamashi

Well, I read it

That was indeed a better ending.

Pulled a Mirai Nikki on me.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on March 08, 2015, 10:41:06 AM
Pulled a Mirai Nikki on me.

I have no idea what that means but I'm glad you agree that the manga is better.

Well, now you've read every manga I recommended. You picked the worst time to run out too because I'm swamped with school work and I'd ratherspend my free time Monster Hunting. I could give you the list of manga I was planning on reading, but they might not all meet the Elija2 Standards of Quality.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on March 08, 2015, 10:56:28 AM
I have no idea what that means
Mirai Nikki also has a different ending between the manga and anime

In the anime everyone's fucking dead and Yukiteru is a sad depressed fuck
In the manga everyone live's happily ever after.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

I think I'd enjoy everyone in Mirai Nikki dying a lot more.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay