Amazon acquires Double Helix Games (devs of new Killer Instinct & Strider)

Started by Elija2, February 05, 2014, 05:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

QuoteAmazon has acquired a gaming studio called Double Helix Games, TechCrunch has learned, and Amazon now confirms. The deal was for both talent and IP, we understand. Financial terms have not been disclosed.

The Irvine, California-based company, founded in 2007 through the merger of two well-known game development shops, The Collective, Inc. and Shiny Entertainment, today employs 75 people who will now become Amazon employees and will continue to operate out of their Orange County home.

News of the deal leaked due to an invitation to joint recruiting event from Amazon and Double Helix Games taking place in L.A. on February 13th. The acquisition announcement was planned to take place at that time, most likely.

Amazon has provided TechCrunch with the following statement regarding the deal:

"Amazon has acquired Double Helix as part of our ongoing commitment to build innovate games for customers."
Source

As we all know Amazon are planning on releasing an Android-powered console of their own this year and it seems they're building up their own first-party studios with somewhat competent developers like Double Helix. Could they be a serious contender in the console wars? And how will this affect the development of Killer Instinct?

Nintendoomed?

Hakudamashi

If this means even less people will be able to enjoy good games, then fuck me.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

So, what your saying is...

That there will be no Strider 2 and no Killer Instinct 2?
Okay.

Well, fuck you.

Hakudamashi

If Amazon decides to make their own console to rival Nintendo Sony and Microsoft, I can't imagine anything good coming from this...

I mean, people are already questioning the point of getting more than one console...

Post Merge: February 06, 2014, 10:38:55 AM

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay