Favourite bands that nobody has ever heard of

Started by Elija2, February 04, 2014, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

The Feelies are an American band who formed in the late '70s and are considered to be very influential in the indie rock scene. They broke up in the '90s after releasing 4 albums but reunited 15 years later and released another album.

NiGHTSfan

Elija2

The Pastels are a Scottish band that formed in the late '80s. They were a fairly influential band in the indie pop scene and apparently even Kurt Cobain was a fan of them. Can't say I would have guessed that considering the kind of music they made. They became inactive in the late '90s but recently reunited to release another album that's fairly meh to be honest.

NiGHTSfan

Quote from: Elija2 on September 21, 2015, 02:44:07 PM
The Pastels are a Scottish band that formed in the late '80s. They were a fairly influential band in the indie pop scene and apparently even Kurt Cobain was a fan of them. Can't say I would have guessed that considering the kind of music they made. They became inactive in the late '90s but recently reunited to release another album that's fairly meh to be honest.

interesting but do u like pop music and whats the difference between the indie pop and american pop because i cant stand american pop music like lady gaga

Elija2

Quote from: batman on September 23, 2015, 09:55:14 AM
interesting but do u like pop music and whats the difference between the indie pop and american pop because i cant stand american pop music like lady gaga

Indie bands are basically just bands that aren't signed to a major record label. Indie pop and American pop aren't really genres of music, they're just kinda identifiers that tell you what a band or artist is like.

And I do like pop music. Whether it's from an indie band or a top 40 band doesn't really have an effect on whether I like their music or not (although my musical tastes do tend to lean towards lesser-known bands).

NiGHTSfan

Quote from: Elija2 on September 23, 2015, 11:06:16 AM
Indie bands are basically just bands that aren't signed to a major record label. Indie pop and American pop aren't really genres of music, they're just kinda identifiers that tell you what a band or artist is like.

And I do like pop music. Whether it's from an indie band or a top 40 band doesn't really have an effect on whether I like their music or not (although my musical tastes do tend to lean towards lesser-known bands).

oh i always thought that the pop music was a genres of music

Elija2

Quote from: batman on September 23, 2015, 02:39:56 PM
oh i always thought that the pop music was a genres of music

Pop is a genre, but indie pop and American pop aren't. Okay, technically indie pop is a genre of music but I prefer not to use it like that.

Elija2

Jim Sullivan was a singer-songwriter who released an album about U.F.O.'s before mysteriously disappearing in the New Mexico desert. Spooky, huh? Okay, there's more to the story than that. He actually disappeared a few years after releasing that album, and he released a second lesser-known album in between then. Most people who know of him only know him for the conspiracy (if you can call it that) around his disappearance, but he actually wrote really good music. Maybe that's why aliens abducted him.

Elija2

The City were a band lead by Carole King, her soon-to-be husband (and now ex-husband), and Danny Kortchmar (who wrote songs for other big artists). They only released one album before disbanding. Carole King later went on to become a successful solo artist, but this is one of my favourite albums that she's ever worked on. Definitely better than the majority of her solo stuff.

lozphx

Ioshyriku

Casiopea is a Japanese jazz fusion band that was formed in 1976 by guitarist Issei Noro, bassist Tetsuo Sakurai and keyboardist Hidehiko Koike. In 1977, keyboardist Minoru Mukaiya and drummer Takashi Sasaki joined the group, leaving Hidehiko out of Casiopea. The group debuted with the self-titled album Casiopea in 1979, featuring Randy Brecker, Michael Brecker and David Sanborn as guest musicians. In 1980, Sasaki was replaced by Akira Jimbo. Casiopea has released over 35 albums to date in both Japan and the United States.

Not sure if it counts, but I love their music, some of it reminds me of Outrun.

Killercobra159

Elija2

advantage Lucy are a Japanese pop band who formed in the mid-'90s. They originally went by the name Lucy Van Pelt, after the Peanuts character, but had to change their name due to trademark infringement. Their songs are cheerful and relaxing, and they occasionally sing in English (although it's often hard to understand what they're saying due to the vocalist's accent and the way she sometimes whispers her words).