Sony: Nintendo decline could be detrimental to entire industry

Started by shadowDOESrock, February 03, 2014, 09:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

QuoteNintendo's current run of slumping financials could prove damaging to the games industry as a whole, according to PlayStation UK boss Fergal Gara.

It follows Nintendo president Satoru Iwata addressing investors following the company's poor round of financials. He has recognised that the firm must change to adapt to the times, revealing that Nintendo is now open to licensing its IP to third-party companies, including those within the smartphone space.

In an interview with Trusted Reviews, Gara said, "The decline of Nintendo could be detrimental to the market, unless people like us raise our game and help tap into the younger consumer group that they serve rather well.

"That is the challenge to us. We need to bring maybe more family-friendly, more casual experiences into the market. I think there's a big market segment there that we should take the challenge to engage and I see lots of potential to do that."

While the Wii U continues to languish in the sales charts, Gara acknowledged that the 3DS is still doing very well in most markets. "The DS family was the bestselling format last year," he added, "despite the stellar sales of the PS4 for the last four or five weeks, it was still the best selling console or console family."

What's your take?

Hakudamashi

I think alot of things will lead to the fall of the industry, this is indeed one of them.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Well, I for one think that if someone doesn't pick up the slack in that area of the industry, society could be the worse off for it. Imagine if the only video games around were mature ones? I'd have nothing to raise my children on.

jkid101094

Quote from: Tana on February 03, 2014, 09:54:56 AM
Imagine if the only video games around were mature ones? I'd have nothing to raise my children on.
Yes you would. Either old ones or those mature games.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Tanassy

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 03, 2014, 10:00:02 AM

I'm a very tech-minded person. I want to always be on the bleeding edge, and I'd want my children to do the same. With that said, I wouldn't limit them of course, but I want them to experience the here and now as well.

And I wouldn't play mature games with my kids, full stop. Ratings are there for a reason, I'm not like most ignorant parents nowadays.

So if that market disappeared, then I'd be left with nothing.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on February 03, 2014, 10:00:02 AM
How's about we make mature games that don't resort to potty humour for starters...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Tana on February 03, 2014, 09:54:56 AM
Well, I for one think that if someone doesn't pick up the slack in that area of the industry, society could be the worse off for it. Imagine if the only video games around were mature ones? I'd have nothing to raise my children on.

I don't think society will be worse off if there are less family-friendly video games.

Hakudamashi

Society wouldn't be worse if there were less video games.

Maybe they'll actually go outside.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Hakudamashi

I want family friendly games so I can calmly just play something fun with the whole family without someone be that guy that goes "this is why our world is the way it is."
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay