Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I | Nintendo Wii Version

Started by eXtremeAzure, February 02, 2014, 06:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eXtremeAzure

"2D Sonic Returns!"

Sonic the Hedgehog has had a very rough ride through the 2000s. After seeing the mega-success of his Genesis days, it's hard to imagine just how much the Blue Blur crashed and burned for over 5 years.

It wasn't until the year of 2010 did things start to look up for the video-game icon, with a string of successful releases. One of the major releases of that year, was Sonic 4: Episode I. Sonic Team decided to take Sonic back, way back, to his younger, brighter days, by developing a new title, completely in 2D. The result? While not perfect, Episode I proved to be a rather decent title.

| STORY |

Just like the classic Genesis titles - Episode 1's storyline is pretty basic and straightforward. Eggman is causing trouble again, and now Sonic must chase after him and stop his latest scheme.

HOLD UP! ... This again? Really?

t's kind of a little of a letdown to have had such a basic storyline. While Sonic games aren't exactly notorious for having deep, serious stories ~ it would have been nice to have had some imaginative content added into the mix. Sonic Team seemed to be onto something with the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush series, but apparently, they didn't want to go that far with Sonic 4.

| GAMEPLAY |

The storyline isn't just similar to the Genesis-titles; the gameplay is almost identical. Same layout: hold the right button, jump and attack, spindash and win. The main thing that sets Sonic 4 a part from the Blue's original outings, is that he has his modern "Homing Attack" move, to quickly do away with enemies from a distance, as well as accesses new areas by bopping on some aerial badniks.

Sonic's signature speed is also quite present, as he runs through corkscrews, spins around in loop-de-loops and dashes down 90-degree slopes. Unfortunately  things can sometimes get a bit wonky due to some unbalanced physics. Sonic can somehow charge up a 90-degree slope with little to no effort, and stand in place midway, as if he has some kind of gravity-defying shoes. Not to mention that he also takes a little while to pick up speed, almost as if he's carrying an anvil on his shoes. Even rolling down a hill doesn't give you much of (if any) - a boost, like the classic titles did.

Physic-problems aside; a lot of classic stage themes also make a return. There are a total of 5 stages (a.k.a - zones), that Sonic must make his way through. Doesn't look like Sonic Team put much thought into their themes, though. How so? You don't have to look farther than the first zone - Splash Hill - to notice some rather distinct similarities.

Seem familiar?

The recycled stage themes continue throughout the game. If you were expecting new, re-imagined vistas with a classic twist ~ think again. Even the badniks remain the same. Speaking of badniks, there are some really frustrating sections where a projectile launched by one of these annoying little robots will stop you abruptly in your tracks. Even if they don't fire anything at you, there are times where Sonic would launch off of a ramp as a ball, only to automatically uncurl and land right on top of a badnik. If you don't have any rings - sad for you.

Overall, the gameplay of Sonic 4 isn't necessarily bad; it's more or less in the middle. It's not perfect, yet not broken. Hard to imagine that they couldn't nail the same formula that they introduced the Blue Blur with 23 years ago (at the time, 19). There are a few difficulty spikes, as well as unbalanced physics. Yet, the game is still fun to play if you can look pass it's flaws, none of which are game-breaking or overly-frustrating.

| PRESENTATION |

Just like his (at the time) - arch nemesis Mario ~ Sonic games were full of color and vibrancy. The same can be said about Sonic 4. The stages, while having a near prefect-identical look to their classic counterparts, also keep the vivid amount of color. This in return creates a rather good looking game. While not as breathtaking as other 2D platformers such as Rayman Legends, Sonic Team was still able to construct a nice-looking game. Seeing that this is the Wii version we're talking about here, it lacks HD graphics, yet even so, it doesn't look half bad:

Who says you need HD when you've got bright colors?

I was definitely taken aback when I first launched the game. While the Wii version lacks anti-aliasing and motion blur, the effects (like the water in Splash Hill Zone), still look great, and even Sonic's model looks rather decent.

| SOUND |

One of the high points of most, if not all Sonic games, is the soundtrack. Even Sonic 2006, which is considered to be the worst Sonic game (and one of the worst video-games in general), had a rather awesome soundtrack. Sonic Team once again brought their musical talents to the table with Sonic 4. The tracks for each stage are rather catchy and some are more memorable than others. Due to the constraints of Wiiware (45Mb file size limit) - Sonic Team had to make a few compromises. Instead of the full-fledged MP3 sounds that are found in the HD versions of the title, the Wii version uses lower-quality and slightly gimped MIDI files, which sound a little more bland.

While I still prefer a lot of the tracks from the Genesis titles (ESPECIALLY SONIC CD!) ~ Sonic 4 Episode: 1's overall soundtrack is still good, nonetheless.

| THE BOTTOM LINE |

Is this the best Sonic game ever? Nope, not by a long shot. Is it the best 2D Sonic game ever? Not even close. Yet even so, Episode 1 is not a bad game. It does a few things good and others not so good. Overall, Sonic 4 Episode 1 is a short distraction. After it's complete, there isn't much feeling of "Wow!", at least, not with my experience with the title.

It has it's replay value, though. Every now and then, I power on my Wii and throw maybe a 20-30 minute playing session with the title. One should be able to complete it within 4 hours max.

Wonky physics, unimaginative stage design and difficulty spikes notch the game down a few scores, yet even so, Sonic 4 is still a cheap, decent title that probably wouldn't hurt for you to pick up if you get the chance.

PROS:
+ Good graphics
+ Nice soundtrack
+ Decent gameplay

CONS:
- Wonky physics
- Unimaginative stage design
- Difficulty spikes

FINAL SCORE:

7/10
"Alright"

Hakudamashi

Can I just say I really hate the instruments they used for the soundtrack?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

eXtremeAzure

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 03, 2014, 07:49:45 AM
Can I just say I really hate the instruments they used for the soundtrack?
I did say they were bleh; but the tracks were still a little catchy.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

DMAN64

I honestly did not like the motion controls in the special stages or the switch puzzle.

Niko

The game was decent to say the least. Catchy soundtracks, yes, had no problems with them at all.

MarioMover

Honestly, the Wii version is the second-best way to play the game, IMO. The Wiimote feels perfect for this game. (PC takes the cake, though, for me.)

Now, the mobile port, on the other hand...