Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing

Started by WitheredRose, January 31, 2014, 11:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitheredRose

this is my first review so criticism is welcome

SONIC & SEGA ALL-STARS RACING
Alternate title: Sonic and Stolen Fan-Art Racing

Summary
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is a go-kart racing game featuring characters from SEGA franchises, such as Billy Hatcher, Monkey Ball, and (obviously) Sonic the Hedgehog. As with a lot of games, there are versions of this game for multiple systems. To be specific, it's available on iOS, Android, Nintendo DS, PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii. I'll talk about each version of the game and point out the differences.

The HD Version (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)
The HD version of the game is the definitive version. It features higher quality graphics than any other version. It's essentially the way the game was meant to be played. The console versions of the game tend to have framerate drops, and I can't entirely judge the PC version of the game because my computer isn't great, so I get framerate drops a lot. Basically, if you want Mario Kart on your PS3, Xbox 360, or PC, you'll want this game. Also, the Xbox 360 version of the game has two bonus characters: Banjo&Kazooie, and your Xbox Avatar.

The Wii Version
The Wii version has a lower resolution, and lower quality graphics. Other than that, it plays pretty much the same as the HD version. You also get to play as your Mii character. So if you want Mario Kart Wii with Sonic characters, this is the game for you. (ALSO IT'S CHEAPER THAN MARIO KART)

The Mobile version (Android, iOS, and Nintendo DS)
I have no experience with the iOS version of this game, so I'll assume it's identical to the Android version. The phone/tablet version of the game has even lower quality graphics, and a slightly different way of drifting. To be perfectly honest, I prefer the HD/Wii version. The DS version is as far as i can tell the same, but with MIDI music to fit the damn thing on a DS cartridge.

The Characters
The game hasn't got a lot of characters, but to be perfectly honest, SEGA didn't have a lot to choose from to begin with. When you start seeing Alex Kidd in the mix, you can tell they're really scraping from the bottom of the barrel.
List of characters:
You've got the obvious Sonic the Hedgehog, of course, but there are more. Tails, Dr. Eggman, Amy, Shadow, AiAi, Amigo, Billy Hatcher, Knuckles the Echidna, Big the Cat, Beat, Ulala, B.D. Joe, Zobio and Zobiko, Ryo Hazuki, Jacky Bryant and Akira Yuki, Mobo and Robo, the ChuChus, Opa-Opa (Who the hell is that), and Alex Kidd.
Exclusives:
For the Wii version, you get to play as Mii characters. For the Xbox 360 version, you get to play as your Xbox Avatar or Banjo&Kazooie. Sorry, PS3/PC/Mobile/DS users, no exclusives for you!

Final Opinion and Score
The game is very similar to Mario Kart Wii, but looking at it from an objective point of view, it's a decent game on its own. Honestly, I think the sequel to this game is better, but I'll review that later. Overall I'd give it...

8/10

pizzaman9080

MarioMover

While I don't believe this title was on-par with Mario Kart Wii, I will say that it's definitely a good game. It does lack what I believe makes Transformed so great - originality. The original feels like a direct attempt to get Mario Kart.
Transformed, IMO, just feels so much better than this game too. It feels faster, more unique, and the mobile port isn't that bad at all. Especially when you consider it's free.
I don't know why they made Transformed free, but kept the original one priced. Doesn't it make more sense to do it the other way around?

Yam7687