Report: Sony's rating degraded to junk status

Started by shadowDOESrock, January 27, 2014, 11:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

Moody's Investors Service has cut Sony's credit rating to the first level of junk status. Yes, there are multiple levels of junk in the lexicon trunk of finance. Moody's recognizes that Sony has made progress with its multi-year restructuring, but the ratings agency has concerns the company's TV and PC businesses are a challenge to Sony's overall stability.

Sony's drama has mostly to do with divisions other than games. Moody notes, "Profitability in the Games segment is expected to improve with the successful launch of PlayStation 4, but not to the extent seen with the profitability level in 2010."

Fitch Rating downgraded the company to junk status in late 2012, saying it believed a "meaningful recovery" for Sony would be slow.

Sony's junk bond status means it will have to pay a higher interest rate if it borrows money because it's a higher risk. There are still several levels of junk status before Sony hits the point of no return.

jkid101094

At least Nintendo isn't the only one having problems.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheGameNinja

Sony has less money than Nintendo. That's saying something, since Sony does a lot more than just make games/consoles. They own a movie studio.

Hakudamashi

Do people remember that Sony is recovering from near bankruptcy?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: TheGameNinja on January 28, 2014, 01:02:30 PM
They own a movie studio.

A Movie studio that made 'After Earth' and 'White House Down' - Two of the biggest flops of last year.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: TheGameNinja on January 28, 2014, 01:02:30 PM
Sony has less money than Nintendo. That's saying something, since Sony does a lot more than just make games/consoles. They own a movie studio.
Being a Jack of all trades is never a good idea.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

I'm just saying it's an example of how big of a company Sony is compared to Nintendo, and Nintendo is still outperforming them with an underperforming console.