Rumor: Nintendo embracing Smartphones, develops 'mini-games' for iOS & Android

Started by shadowDOESrock, January 27, 2014, 01:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: KotakuThis year looks to be Nintendo's toughest. Nintendo, however, is looking to change that. Respected Japanese newspaper Nikkei reports that within this year, Nintendo apparently plans to use smartphones to win back gamers. Well, kind of.

According to an unconfirmed Nikkei report, Nintendo plans to release trailers for new games on smartphones (presumably Android and iOS) as well as "free mini-games." Until now, Nintendo hasn't made any gaming content available on smartphones.

Note that the Nikkei does not use the Japanese word for "demo," which is either "taikenban" (体験版) or "demo" (デモ). It explicitly states "muryou no mini geemu" (無料のミニゲーム) or "free mini-game." Nikkei reports that the idea is that if players enjoy the mini-games, they can purchase the actual software for their Nintendo hardware. That sounds awfully like a demo!

Nintendo will apparently make a wide swath of information about its games available via smartphones—such as introducing the game's story and characters as well as the release date and price.

Nintendo is expected to announce this plan later this week, Nikkei adds.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has previously said that the company would use smartphones to help promote their games.

In October, addressing whether Nintendo handhelds were losing out to smart phones, he told company investors the following: "I feel that we should make an effort to take advantage of [smart devices'] existence. For instance, we already made it possible to browse Wii U's networking service called Miiverse on smart devices. Starting with this attempt, we are discussing among us how we can expand the use of smart devices to help drive the business of dedicated gaming systems.... Twitter timelines filled with tweets about Monster Hunter and Pokémon can certainly help create awareness for the products, and we also know that many watch Nintendo Direct on their smart devices. Rather than simply viewing smart devices as competitors, we should consider ways in which we can use them for our business."

Iwata had presented a vision in which Nintendo's dedicated gaming hardware exists side-by-side with gaming on phones and tablets, with largely different types of games appealing to different kinds of gamers and different gaming appetites:

"I think it is natural that many people feel that it is more convenient to use smart devices, as opposed to dedicated gaming systems, to play games to kill a bit of time. That is to say, there are some areas in which dedicated gaming systems were once used that now have greater potential on smart devices. On the other hand, dedicated gaming systems are developed by considering the software that is designed to run on the hardware, enabling us to make unique propositions."

http://kotaku.com/report-nintendo-will-be-releasing-free-mini-games-on-1510204063?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 27, 2014, 01:14:26 PM
IIRC Iwata already deconfirmed this rumor.

That was something else - and was also not reported by Nikkei.
The Thing you're talking about was a silly rumour that Nintendo was moving to Smartphone development or some shit.

This one here makes alot of sense. Sony and Microsoft have been doing this since Ages.

EDIT: NOW this one has been debunked as well.

Hakudamashi

Aww, I was actually looking forward to this, especially since I've been using the Pokemon TV App for awhile.

Like, istead of mini-games, they coulda done some companion apps, like a Pokedex, or an Arwing viewer, or some match making service for Mario Kart.... or something...
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 28, 2014, 04:47:54 PM
Aww, I was actually looking forward to this, especially since I've been using the Pokemon TV App for awhile.

Like, istead of mini-games, they coulda done some companion apps, like a Pokedex, or an Arwing viewer, or some match making service for Mario Kart.... or something...
There's already a Pokedex 3D app for Smartphones.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 28, 2014, 04:47:54 PM

They can't even do that stuff on their own consoles (except for an overpriced Pokedex).

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Aaaand turns out this actually is true... somewhat.
They're not minigames, but Nintendo will develop Apps for iOS and Android.

Quote from: Iwata'I have not given any restrictions to the development team, even not ruling out the possibility of making games or using our game characters. However, if you report that we will release Mario on smart devices, it would be a completely misleading statement.'

jkid101094

So your proof that Nintendo is developing smartphone apps is Iwata saying it's not going to happen?

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 30, 2014, 07:03:58 AM
So your proof that Nintendo is developing smartphone apps is Iwata saying it's not going to happen?

It wouldn't be the first time Iwata's gone back on his word, and he did heavily hint at it.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 30, 2014, 07:03:58 AM

... just google it, jesus christ

jkid101094

If I wanted to Google it I wouldn't be reading this topic in the first place.

Edit:

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.