Haku's DMC Devil May Cry Review

Started by Hakudamashi, January 24, 2014, 06:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

What I Liked
Runs at 30, Feels Like 60
Remember that bold claim some time ago where they said they understand the importance of 60fps, but the game runs at 30fps cause of reasons, but they're gonna make it feel like 60fps? Well, It seems to me like they actually kept their word. The framerate is consistent and smooth and everything's fluid, it's great, and I wish more video games try to imitate what this game did.

Fun and Fancy Free
The gameplay of this game is about a "freeflow" as you can get. They give you alot of tools to play the game quite literally however you want. As in, they give you these little combo tutorials during the loading screens, but that's not nearly the extent of the shit you can pull off. Ofc you gotta unlock all the tools first...

It's Pretty, If You're Into This Kinda Thing
I liked the aethstetics, they are very imaginative and varied and they're f*cking colours up the ass, Mario be damned. But ofc only half the game is awesome looking, the other half is as drab as you can get in a dark creepy gothic city of brown, but it does make you really appreciate the limbo sections when they do happen.

The Character Cast
I liked that everyone was competent. I found them all "likeable"(for lack of a better word) and memorable. I also found the exchange between them very entertaining.

Replayable
In addition to it's acceptably lengthy campaign, it has incentives for you to play it again, other than cause it's fun. Granted, it's just art n' stuff, but at least it's something.

Secrets Everywhere
For people that like to explore every nook n' cranny about their video games, they'll get happily rewarded for their curiosity with secret missions n' a splurge of red orbs. This game has enough secrets to satisfy the completionist inside everyone, while still being straightforward enough for the people that just wanna go.

What I Didn't Like
Aiming
There is no lock on of any kind in this game, you just let your attacks loose and the game aims for you. 90% of the time it works just fine and is a total non issue, but there's gonna be those 1 or two instances where you accidentally attack the wrong thing, whether you wanted to kill something else first, or the guy you accidentally pulled yourself towards is flying over a bottomless pit.

The Ending
Have you ever flown a kite with your girlfriend, and the two of you are having a great time, but then all of a sudden she shoots the kite down, then reveals that she was a black man the entire time then proceeds to anally rape you?
Well it's kinda like that. I hated this ending, like, alot. Under normal circumstances this alone woulda ruined everything for me and I woulda tossed this shit in the fire and never speak of it again *coughmasseffect3cough*, but because the game was consistently awesome from start to almost finish, I'll let it slide... but jesus f*cking christ that was bad.

The Verdict
If you like action games, you'd be doing yourself a service if you pick this up. But if you are one of those that are turned off by it's aethstetics and soundtrack... and dialogue..., then I think it's at least worth checking out.

9/10
4/5
A
Buy It

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

In comparison to the 2-5hr games we''ve been getting/
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay