Turn Based and Action JRPGs

Started by Hakudamashi, January 16, 2014, 09:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanassy

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 16, 2014, 12:02:52 PM
No one plays Hyperdimension Neptunia. Dammnit, Tana.

They should, it's a great game.

--

WRPG
JRPG

Hakudamashi

Well ma'am, there's a clear enough distinction between the two that I think the differing genre titles is necessary.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

The only difference is country of origin.

Anyone can make any game they want. Any artstyle, any subject matter, any setting, any mechanics they want. They are not bound to a set of rules determined by the place in which they live.

So you can kindly fuck off. ^^

jkid101094

Quote from: Tana on February 03, 2014, 07:56:32 AM
The only difference is country of origin.

Anyone can make any game they want. Any artstyle, any subject matter, any setting, any mechanics they want. They are not bound to a set of rules determined by the place in which they live.

So you can kindly fuck off. ^^
It's a generalization, you salty asstart.
Sure anyone is allowed to make one, sure, but it's called a JRPG because many RPG games from Japan share similar elements and using the term makes it easier to explain.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

I dunno about that.
Japanese RPGS tend to have a more distinct way of telling their stories, doing their cutscenes, handling their combat, and choosing their art style than Western RPGs, right down to the voice acting.

I mean, when it comes to story focused projects like these, culture does take a big part in the production, and the difference in culture between those in the East, and those on the West seems to make them produce art of different and distinct results.

At least, that's what I've noticed.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

That doesn't make it correct.

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 03, 2014, 08:08:30 AM
I dunno about that.
Japanese RPGS tend to have a more distinct way of telling their stories, doing their cutscenes, handling their combat, and choosing their art style than Western RPGs, right down to the voice acting.

No, that's just you being ignorant. I can understand the culture part, but this is total bullshit and you know it.

jkid101094

Quote from: Tana on February 03, 2014, 08:10:08 AM
That doesn't make it correct.
Doesn't inherently make it wrong, either.
We could call them Titty Sprinkle Role Playing Games if you wanted. Would that make you feel better?
Pokemon X for best TSRPG of 2013.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Tana on February 03, 2014, 08:10:08 AM
No, that's just you being ignorant. I can understand the culture part, but this is total bullshit and you know it.
Arlight then, why don't you come up with a better acronym then?

How would you distinguish between them then?

Someone who doesn't like Elder Scrolls, but likes Persona? Doesn't like Mass Effect, but likes Ni No Kuni?, Doesn't like Dragon Age, but likes Final Fantasy?

Call them Realistic RPGs and Anime RPGs?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 03, 2014, 08:19:35 AM
How would you distinguish between them then?

You Don't
Do what Kyo said and define them by sub-genres. They're all RPG's, but they have different elements, none of those defined by where they come from.

"realistic RPGs and Anime RPGs"? Do you know how many people have done a double-take when I tell them Dark Souls is a Japanese game? How about Deep Down, would you call that a JRPG?  That's just an example of where lines become blurred between "JRPG" and "WRPG", as you call them.

oh hey, why don't we start calling other genres by their location too? Let's all call Zelda a JAdventure game, and Mario a JPlatformer!  Gran Turismo is a JRacing game! DMC is a JBeatem'up! Metal Gear is a JShooter!

jkid101094

Quote from: Tana on February 03, 2014, 09:37:03 AM
You Don't
Do what Kyo said and define them by sub-genres. They're all RPG's, but they have different elements, none of those defined by where they come from.
I thought JRPG was an RPG subgenre?

Either way it's just a name to make explaining things easier so I don't feel as strongly about it as you guys do.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

So do you also call all forms of animation "cartoons"?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

If JRPG was a subgenre, then that subgenre would also have sub-subgenres. So no, it's not.
Quote from: Hakudamashi on February 03, 2014, 09:43:19 AM
So do you also call all forms of animation "cartoons"?

you can call it whatever you want, but it's all animation. The fuck is the difference?!

They're moving images, some of them even share art or story similarities. Saying otherwise is what most people would call "Being a fucking weeaboo".

Tanassy

Pretty much what Kyo said.

The terms are known to cause confusion in general, and they just don't make sense. Every game is it's own self-contained adventure and it falls under a vast variety of different categories in terms of style, mechanics and subject matter. But really, in the end those terms are almost like a video game version of a stereotype..

They're a limiting factor in society caused by ignorance and they shroud over what something really is, and can be, and they ruin it.

Hakudamashi

Well, from my viewpoint, I think they're needed like all genres.

I mean, if everything is allowed to just be everything with no form of filter, it'll just make it even more difficult to find things we like without some serious assistance.

It's difficult enough finding gems that have recently become my favourite things ever even with these names to narrow down my searching...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

That's what sub-genres are for. That's why they were made in the first place. Anyone can make anything, but that's not to say it's got to be "RPG" and nothing else. Did you know that many games have more than one genre?