Turn Based and Action JRPGs

Started by Hakudamashi, January 16, 2014, 09:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

Y'know what I really fucking hate? People coming to me with this absurd idea that Action JRPGs are "evolution" of turn based JRPGs.

That's a load of shit. I play the two of them for 2 completely different reasons.
Turn based is more methodically, more on strategic and thinking, and has RNG, something I can play at a leisurley pace.
Action is more fast and instantaneous with no RNG.

The two are very different, and should be allowed to co-exist, it'd be much better than these hybrids between the two where we have full 3D movement and shit, but attacking is still done from a menu, and attacks can still miss even though my sword CLEARLY cut through that dood.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

It's cool to not like that and all, but there are people who like it, so you're sort of falling on deaf ears here..

Hakudamashi

Fine whatever, keep the hybrids, but this idea that they, and action jrpgs are the evolution of turn based, it's causing less and less turn based jrpgs to be.

Like, besides Pokemon, Dragon Fantasy, what other turn based jrpgs came out last year?

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on January 16, 2014, 09:28:55 AM
Dark Souls?
It has RNG can can be played leisurely?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Well it's not a turn based game.

Besides, I already said I dun like Dark Souls.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 16, 2014, 09:30:34 AM
Like, besides Pokemon, Dragon Fantasy, what other turn based jrpgs came out last year?

Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory?

jkid101094

No one plays Hyperdimension Neptunia. Dammnit, Tana.

I, for one, prefer my turn based systems. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Pokemon X are all games with spots on my Top 10 Games of All Time list. Kingdom Hearts II, Skyrim and The Last Story are not.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Fire Emblem is a strategy game, and Skyrim is a WRPG
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 16, 2014, 01:24:57 PM
Fire Emblem is a strategy game, and Skyrim is a WRPG
Excuse me? Then what, pray tell, makes an RPG an RPG?

Because I sure see a turn-based battle system in Fire Emblem.

I have no idea what a WRPG is.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 16, 2014, 01:49:02 PM
I have no idea what a WRPG is.

Western RPG

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 16, 2014, 01:49:02 PM
Excuse me? Then what, pray tell, makes an RPG an RPG?

Because I sure see a turn-based battle system in Fire Emblem.
You command a large amount of units on a grid where you must position them to attack foes right? That's a turn based strategy game, as opposed to real time strategy games like Starcraft where there is no grid, but rather an open map where units can move freely.

WRPG=Western RPG like TGN said.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 16, 2014, 02:20:39 PM
You command a large amount of units on a grid where you must position them to attack foes right? That's a turn based strategy game, as opposed to real time strategy games like Starcraft where there is no grid, but rather an open map where units can move freely.

WRPG=Western RPG like TGN said.
So then what makes an RPG an RPG, exactly?

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Well, RPG=Role Playing Game
They're video games where you play out the role of a character on a grand quest. One key feature of an RPG is the levelng system to give a sense of progression as you become more powerful as you fill out your role on your quest...

But as time went on, other games start becoming story focused and using a leveling system, so rightly so, the idea of what a RPG is very skewed nowadays...

Sorry, I honestly can't properly answer that right now... I'll get back to you on that.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

For once Kyo and I agree on something.

Though if I hear anyone using that Extra Credits argument I'm going to punch them.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on January 17, 2014, 06:45:40 AM
words of sense
Well that's a perspective of the "issue" that I can get by.

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 17, 2014, 10:18:47 AM
Though if I hear anyone using that Extra Credits argument I'm going to punch them.
I get where the got the idea, but eh.

I just know I like the anime looking ones which just so happen to mostly come from Japan.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay