That Feminist Gamer Girl Did a Thing (DERAILED)

Started by jkid101094, January 10, 2014, 05:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

Quote from: Crystal Candy on October 12, 2014, 11:14:24 AM
Not because it's normal, because it's easy. It's easy way out. It's easiest and laziest way out and to write. This is just lazy writing. Not because women are weak, or the belief that women are weak.

Because that's the easiest way to get someone engaged, because (most) know how it feels to lose someone they love. And most would fight for someone they love.

The only thing even easier would be a revenge plot, which usually just results in a love interest / parents / father figure dying in the first section.

Why is it easy? Because it's been done so many times that people know it's a safe bet for a story (aka it's been normalized). Why isn't it men instead of women? Because people see women as helpless and needing rescue (aka it's sexist).

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 12, 2014, 11:16:38 AM
I'm talking in the context of the story.

The context of the story doesn't matter.

The media and parenting turned Jamaica into a country of whores. I just put more emphasis on parenting.

Okay, and we should educate both.

I can't agree on "should", it's up to what the devs want to do.
But for the devs that do care, then by all means raise awareness so they're more conscious about their writing.

What do you mean you can't agree on "should"?

It would nearly unanimously be seen as a better thing but you don't think developers should do it because of creative freedom?

Or it could be because guys like to save women, and most devs(to my knowledge) are men.

Well I'm sure that's how the trope first came about, but for it to persist as a common trope still to this day? It being so common has to have assisted in it's continued use.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 12, 2014, 11:51:30 AM
Why is it easy? Because it's been done so many times that people know it's a safe bet for a story (aka it's been normalized). Why isn't it men instead of women? Because people see women as helpless and needing rescue (aka it's sexist).

I was searching a .gif where someone throws away the papers, but I have over 1200 gifs saved in my dropbox and couldnt find it.

So, here's one of you getting scared

Hakudamashi

Why is it easy?
Saving a person is a pretty good motivator. I can't think of a better, quicker one, can you?
Why women? Cause the writers are men.

Okay, and we should educate both.
You keep on raisin dat awareness.

What do you mean you can't agree on "should"?

It would nearly unanimously be seen as a better thing but you don't think developers should do it because of creative freedom?
Yes
Creative Freedom
It is a right that all artists should have.
An artist should be allowed to make what he or she wants, and have his or her work find it's audience.

Well I'm sure that's how the trope first came about, but for it to persist as a common trope still to this day? It being so common has to have assisted in it's continued use.
Or it could be because most devs are still men.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 12, 2014, 02:09:35 PM
Yes
Creative Freedom
It is a right that all artists should have.
An artist should be allowed to make what he or she wants, and have his or her work find it's audience.

But what do you think? Do you think that developers should use less sexist tropes in their games?

Hakudamashi

I just want good characters all around.
Personally the tropes themselves don't bother me unless it's like World War Blue where they use every fucking trope in the fucking book and don't do one fucking inventive, imaginative thing with any of them, and then half ass it on top of that

I too have my limits on what I tolerate when it comes to tropes, and yes there are some decisions developers make that I rather they don't do, never again if possible.

But to properly answer your question, yes, I think they should use less sexist tropes in their writing.
But I don't find "damsel in distress" to be sexist.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 12, 2014, 03:08:46 PM
But to properly answer your question, yes, I think they should use less sexist tropes in their writing.
But I don't find "damsel in distress" to be sexist.

This also applies to me, to a certain extend.
Although I do find the "damsel in distress" trope in itself sexist, I dont think every "example" of it is.

But that depends on what I play / watch.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Crystal Candy on October 12, 2014, 03:13:44 PM
Although I do find the "damsel in distress" trope in itself sexist, I dont think every "example" of it is.

But that depends on what I play / watch.
Yeah that, more that
Thanks Kyo.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay