That Feminist Gamer Girl Did a Thing (DERAILED)

Started by jkid101094, January 10, 2014, 05:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on October 12, 2014, 08:11:34 AM
Hey Eli, you wanna join us for Smash bros?

I'm at my parents' house for the week and their internet is pretty unreliable so I'm gonna pass.

jkid101094

Quote from: Elija2 on October 12, 2014, 08:13:46 AM
I'm at my parents' house for the week and their internet is pretty unreliable so I'm gonna pass.
Well alrighty the, hun. We should play some when you get home then.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Quote from: jkid101094 on October 12, 2014, 08:19:54 AM

Sure thing, sweetie.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: jkid101094 on October 12, 2014, 08:19:54 AM
Quote from: Elija2 on October 12, 2014, 08:25:42 AM
Sure thing, sweetie.

D'aw, what a cute couple

Elija2

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on October 12, 2014, 07:16:04 AM
However, the problem is that women are overwhelmingly depicted this way, much more than men are. These negative tropes are sexist because they are used almost exclusively with female characters. And when a group of people (in this case, women) are disproportionately depicted in a certain way, it means that this is how a majority of people see them as.
I will agree that it is more common that women are saved than men, but I wouldn't call it sexist. Sexist to me, is if the situation changes or becomes "wrong" when only the genders are swapped.
If you swapped the genders around in Mario and Zelda, nothing would really change, someone's still kidnapped, there's still a big bad, and someone makes things right. Sexist to me, is like in those romantic comedy examples I gave before where there's a couple and one is being demanding of the other, if the demanding one is a woman, you're supposed to root for her, if he's a man, he's the villain, same scenario, same circumstance, but swap the genders and suddenly the tone changes. You know what I mean?

In terms of people seeing women like that, I personally put more blame on parenting than the media. It all starts at home, including one's way of thinking. I believe that one's true role model should be their mother and father, and they should not only set an example, but also be there with the child as he/she grows and forms a mind of his/her own. Yes, I know a parent can only do soo much what with the internet and public schools and all, but they should strive to be with their children and teach them the rights and wrongs so when they are challenged in the real world, they can spot what is "right" and what is "wrong", including how to see women, skin colour, disabilities, accents, etc.
And I don't encourage beating around the bush when they ask questions.

But the media is everywhere, and there's no guarantee the child will ask questions when they see things like this, so I can understand if you more want to blame the media.

Quote from: Elija2 on October 12, 2014, 08:13:46 AM
huh
Where do you stay normally?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 12, 2014, 08:56:27 AM
I will agree that it is more common that women are saved than men, but I wouldn't call it sexist. Sexist to me, is if the situation changes or becomes "wrong" when only the genders are swapped.
If you swapped the genders around in Mario and Zelda, nothing would really change, someone's still kidnapped, there's still a big bad, and someone makes things right. Sexist to me, is like in those romantic comedy examples I gave before where there's a couple and one is being demanding of the other, if the demanding one is a woman, you're supposed to root for her, if he's a man, he's the villain, same scenario, same circumstance, but swap the genders and suddenly the tone changes. You know what I mean?

In terms of people seeing women like that, I personally put more blame on parenting than the media. It all starts at home, including one's way of thinking. I believe that one's true role model should be their mother and father, and they should not only set an example, but also be there with the child as he/she grows and forms a mind of his/her own. Yes, I know a parent can only do soo much what with the internet and public schools and all, but they should strive to be with their children and teach them the rights and wrongs so when they are challenged in the real world, they can spot what is "right" and what is "wrong", including how to see women, skin colour, disabilities, accents, etc.
And I don't encourage beating around the bush when they ask questions.

But the media is everywhere, and there's no guarantee the child will ask questions when they see things like this, so I can understand if you more want to blame the media.

It is sexist though because being a damsel in distress is demeaning and it predominantly happens to women.

The parent can't be blamed for everything their child thinks, that's just unfair. And besides, most parents probably have the same views too.

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 12, 2014, 08:56:27 AM
huh
Where do you stay normally?

I rent a place near my university.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on October 12, 2014, 09:12:10 AM
It is sexist though because being a damsel in distress is demeaning and it predominantly happens to women.
Aaaaand, I just don't think it happening predominantly to women is sexist, cause when it happens to a man, the scenario roughly stays the same.
And they also don't go about saying she got kidnapped because she's a woman, but that this person got kidnapped, and she's also a woman.

1:30 is what I would call sexist, he didn't say this got screwed up because she's Kitara and that's what she happens to do, he said things got screwed up because she's a girl.

And that what I meant when I said "drawing attention to it". If the show or game or whatever doesn't care about the character's gender or skin colour or whatever, then neither will I, but if they're gonna draw attention to it, then I have a problem, unless they're going somewhere with it.

I don't factor in predominance in sexism and all that stuff.

The parent can't be blamed for everything their child thinks, that's just unfair.
I can't blame them for everything their child thinks and does, true, but I do blame them for the "groundwork", like making a child play an M rated video game before he understands the concept of murder.

And besides, most parents probably have the same views too.
It is also likely those parents had bad parents, and those parents had bad parents, and so on and so forth, each passing on a negative and problematic view of the world across generations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSgY_pscJ8k&list=UUOCs7lAn_5fZWhnqMOOYfXQ
It's relevant I swear.

I rent a place near my university.
And it has the better internet?
How odd.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Hakudamashi on October 12, 2014, 09:43:16 AM
I can't blame them for everything their child thinks and does, true, but I do blame them for the "groundwork", like making a child play an M rated video game before he understands the concept of murder.
It is also likely those parents had bad parents, and those parents had bad parents, and so on and so forth, each passing on a negative and problematic view of the world across generations.

Pfff...

Elija2

Aaaaand, I just don't think it happening predominantly to women is sexist, cause when it happens to a man, the scenario roughly stays the same.
And they also don't go about saying she got kidnapped because she's a woman, but that this person got kidnapped, and she's also a woman.

1:30 is what I would call sexist, he didn't say this got screwed up because she's Kitara and that's what she happens to do, he said things got screwed up because she's a girl.

And that what I meant when I said "drawing attention to it". If the show or game or whatever doesn't care about the character's gender or skin colour or whatever, then neither will I, but if they're gonna draw attention to it, then I have a problem, unless they're going somewhere with it.

I don't factor in predominance in sexism and all that stuff.
No, it's not the same. When a woman is a damsel in distress it reinforces the widespread belief that they are naturally weak. When a man is captured, it doesn't reinforce any negative beliefs.

And many games do bring up that the person being kidnapped is a woman.

Okay, but you'd have to be naive to think that the media doesn't have a major impact on how people perceive things.

And it has the better internet?
How odd.
Probably because my university is in a city with better internet infrastructure than the small town that I grew up in.

Also I'm paying for really good internet.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 12, 2014, 10:43:50 AM
No, it's not the same. When a woman is a damsel in distress it reinforces the widespread belief that they are naturally weak. When a man is captured, it doesn't reinforce any negative beliefs.

So, we should stop having women kidnapped?

Okay, but you'd have to be naive to think that the media doesn't have a major impact on how people perceive things.

Yeah, to dumb people...

jkid101094

Quote from: Crystal Candy on October 12, 2014, 10:49:04 AM
Yeah, to dumb people...
My mom still thinks reality TV is unscripted.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

So, we should stop having women kidnapped?

No, but we should stop doing it all the time.

Yeah, to dumb people...

Uh, no. You'd be surprised at how much you've been subtly influenced by media.

I mean, think about it. Why do so many games use the damsel in distress trope? Because they think it's normal. They've seen the trope being used in so many things that they don't even think twice about it.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Elija2 on October 12, 2014, 11:04:40 AM
Uh, no. You'd be surprised at how much you've been subtly influenced by media.

Try me. (And also, ditto)

I mean, think about it. Why do so many games use the damsel in distress trope? Because they think it's normal. They've seen the trope being used in so many things that they don't even think twice about it.

Not because it's normal, because it's easy. It's easy way out. It's easiest and laziest way out and to write. This is just lazy writing. Not because women are weak, or the belief that women are weak.

Because that's the easiest way to get someone engaged, because (most) know how it feels to lose someone they love. And most would fight for someone they love.

The only thing even easier would be a revenge plot, which usually just results in a love interest / parents / father figure dying in the first section.

Hakudamashi

I'm talking in the context of the story.

And many games do bring up that the person being kidnapped is a woman.
Never said there aren't, but Mario and Zelda are not those games.

Well, at the very least, it's both.
The media and parenting turned Jamaica into a country of whores. I just put more emphasis on parenting.

No, but we should stop doing it all the time.
I can't agree on "should", it's up to what the devs want to do.
But for the devs that do care, then by all means raise awareness so they're more conscious about their writing.

Or it could be because guys like to save women, and most devs(to my knowledge) are men.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay