New Nvidia Mobile Processor: More powerful than last-gen consoles

Started by shadowDOESrock, January 05, 2014, 08:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

QuoteNvidia unveiled its latest and greatest mobile processor today, with CEO Jen-Hsun Huang boasting the tiny chip packs a greater punch than the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

The Tegra K1 was unveiled at a CES 2014 event today, with Polygon reporting Huang's comments regarding the new mobile processor, which will naturally use afar less power than a home console's CPU draws on.

The new CPU has a 192 CUDA core processor, which Huang described as "all fully programmable, all massively parallel".

This makes the mobile tech so powerful it can support Epic's Unreal Engine 4, a next-gen engine so new we're yet to see the release of any games built with it, although that is expected to change this year.

"We can take absolutely anything that runs on PC or high-end console and run it on Tegra. I didn't think that we'd be at this level on mobile for another three to four years," Epic's Tim Sweeney said in a statement.

The Tegra K1 has been confirmed for tablets and smartphones, but Nvidia reportedly hinted it will have wider application in smart devices like TVs and cars.

"We've brought mobile computing to the same level as desktop computing. We've brought mobile computing to the same level as super computing. We've brought the heart of GeForce and the soul of Tesla to the Tegra family," Huang said.

Hakudamashi

Unless that means 1080p 60fps all the time, I'm not interested.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 06, 2014, 05:05:54 AM
Unless that means 1080p 60fps all the time, I'm not interested.

Not even next-gen consoles do that.
Not only that, but Android devices fuction like PCs.

If you get a cheap one you wont get the same quality game as with a high end one.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Wolfy

Making a game that runs at 1080p 60fps is entirely in the hands of the game developer and how they choose to have their game optimally run. In terms of games like Killzone: Shadow Fall, they think the graphics more than make up for the piece of shit framerate, which they clearly don't.

I myself have never been fond of Android or other mobile games because the quality of work usually tends to be complete ass as opposed to anything you'd find on a console or PC. Along with that, hardly any mobile games really have good enough control schemes to enjoy properly and buying peripherals shouldn't be necessary at all.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay