Braverly Default censored for western release

Started by shadowDOESrock, January 05, 2014, 04:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Joystiq

North American 3DS owners won't be graced with the presence of Bravely Default until February 7, but someone with a European copy of the game has noticed changes to outfits and ages of certain characters. The above image was posted by an IGN forum member and showcases the same outfit in different versions of the game, with the Western release's outfits being on the left side.

The Final Fantasy Wiki also notes a boost of three years' age for the protagonists, making Bravely Default's youngest stars like the above Edea 18 years old instead of 15.

Of course, tweaking content during a game's journey to Western audiences is nothing new. The sprite for Siren was covered up in the US release of Final Fantasy 6, for instance. The age bump might also be an effort to avoid problems like those experienced by Dead or Alive: Dimensions, which was not released in parts of Europe due to some of its cast being underage while appearing in risque situations.

You know, I grew up playing JRPG games and watching late night anime back in the day...
Back then I simply considered it cute. Until I started visiting the Internet more often.

But even now, I still considered the world created in a (comic, anime, movie) to be fictional world. A world of fantasy. A world with different rules than ours. A cruel world. A world you might not get along with. A different culture. A culture made for that world.

It might be an experience that doesnt fit with your mindset. Just like visiting a different nation in the real world. But it'll still be a unique experience that you can tell both good and bad stories about.

And finally... I consider video games art.
Please, don't mess around with someones art.

I am aware that I am being kinda overdramatic since this isnt that big of a change, but i'm talking principles here.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Ye Olde Swagfag

Well, I mean... I can see why they would censor it.

TheGameNinja

What's acceptable in one culture is not necessarily acceptable in another. Nudity is far less of a deal in Japan as it is in western countries. Even anime aimed at kids have completely naked characters sometimes. Not the case in, say, America. The age boost does not in any way alter the content of the game and is probably only mentioned in-game if you look at some journal entry.

That said, with the age increase, the costume alterations don't make much sense. Maybe they didn't want to risk a higher ESRB rating?

Still, odds are this was for nothing. Some obscure Japanese RPG was not going to whip the media into a frenzy over some skimpy outfits. Especially not when we've got Senran Kagura: Burst.

Also, this was a voluntary action performed by the company that made the game. There was not some outside force telling them to do it.

jkid101094

Quote from: TheGameNinja on January 06, 2014, 11:34:01 PM
What's acceptable in one culture is not necessarily acceptable in another. Nudity is far less of a deal in Japan as it is in western countries. Even anime aimed at kids have completely naked characters sometimes. Not the case in, say, America. The age boost does not in any way alter the content of the game and is probably only mentioned in-game if you look at some journal entry.

That said, with the age increase, the costume alterations don't make much sense. Maybe they didn't want to risk a higher ESRB rating?

Still, odds are this was for nothing. Some obscure Japanese RPG was not going to whip the media into a frenzy over some skimpy outfits. Especially not when we've got Senran Kagura: Burst.

Also, this was a voluntary action performed by the company that made the game. There was not some outside force telling them to do it.
Preach it, brother.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Oh, well if it's their own decision, then it's not that big a deal.

I prefer the censored outfits anyway.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

That's as silly as saying... umm...
Women in Egypt or w/e wear their fullbody clothing voluntary, despite the fact they'd get beaten up if they dont.
'No one's telling them to.'

In fact, as the Kotaku article about this says

'Might be the reaction to games like Dead or Alive Dimensions being banned in several countries for having underage characters in risque situations'
Not only that, but someone explained to be that the revealing clothing in this case has a reason - the characters are trying to track down a sexual offender in the city, they do that by dressing skimpy.

Plus, Square US is still fucking with the original teams vision, even if this is a small change.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on January 07, 2014, 08:02:00 AM
Not only that, but someone explained to be that the revealing clothing in this case has a reason - the characters are trying to track down a sexual offender in the city, they do that by dressing skimpy.
...go on...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

I do agree that the costume changes AND the age changes together are unnecessary. One or the other should have been enough, with the age change being the most unobtrusive.