Haku's The Last Story Review

Started by Hakudamashi, January 02, 2014, 07:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

This, as you all know, is one of them JRPGs from that Project Rainfall thing that happened.... I want to say last year...
It's an action JRPG that's a bit on the slow paced side and it has third person shooter element that...actually works...

What I Liked
The Characters
I dun wanna say much about them in fear that I may be setting you guys up for massive dissapointment, but I really like this cast =U. They're all soo likeable except for that one fgt and I was interested in what they did from start to finish. Sure, they came off as bit generic, boring, bland and annoying at first, but much like real people they really grew on me as the journey went on. Kept me invested... which is good.. since the story is the most meh fantasy story I've ever had the displeasure to experience

The Combat
Action RPGs are totally my thing, and this was no exception. You have the option to attack automatically by being close to the enemy, or give urself an attack button and attack manually... choose manual and save yourself some heartache... You have a crossbow you can use for 3rd person shooting, but it's used strictly for "strategic sniping" as you cannot move and shoot at the same time... which is dumb.

I Thought the Game was Pretty Looking
So sue me.

What I Didn't Like
Where is the Musics?
This game is quiet. More often than not, you're gonna be walking distances with no background music, which I guess one would think it's for ambience and it sets the mood, and if you are one of those people, shut up. When music DOES play, it's really good, stuff I could listen to all day, but the game is just too darn quiet for my liking...

Everyone's a Glass Cannon
More than once, this almost became a deal breaker for me... The gimmick of this game is your dood has the supposed power to bring dead people to life, so at the start of every battle, y'all get 5 lives, so I guess as a method to "balance" this, y'all also die in like 2 hits... your defense is shit. Now hopefully y'all can prove me wrong about this, but some most of these bosses have attack patterns that can lay waste to your lives like butter, but then get this, before every boss, there are these "gates" where you can fight an infinite amt of mooks so you can grind and get ur lvl up... f*ck grinding >=U

Clunky As F*ck
Y'ever played a shooter where the sprint button and the cover button was the same button?
It sure as hell doesn't make the boos fights any funner...

The Story
I forgot what it was, that's how forgettable it was. I played this game and suffered through it's bosses and dumb clunky cover system to see if little Timmy makes it out of bed, I'll be damned if I knew what an "Outsider" is...

The Verdict
If it weren't for the character cast... I honest would'nt have even made it half way. The clunky cover system, shit defense to encourage grinding, and those f*cking annoying boss fights nearly broke me, more than once. For me, it was worth it to see the epilogue, but I honestly wouldn't recommend this game to people. BUUUUUUUUUTTTTT, the combat(where you don't have to cover excessively, cause there are plenty of those segments) is really fun, fun enough that I can say you should try the game out, maybe you'll have a better chance against the bosses than I did, maybe I just suck =U

5/10
3/5
D+
Rent It
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Eh. I don't use the bow. I like getting close and personal anyway. That being said I really just can't get into this game. The multiplayer is fun from the match of it I played but that's really the best thing about the game.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 03, 2014, 03:59:46 PM
Eh. I don't use the bow. I like getting close and personal anyway. That being said I really just can't get into this game. The multiplayer is fun from the match of it I played but that's really the best thing about the game.
And it doesn't get much better...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 03, 2014, 05:41:49 PM
And it doesn't get much better...
Well then I have no reason to finish it. Why did you demand I rent this again?

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 03, 2014, 05:43:25 PM
Well then I have no reason to finish it. Why did you demand I rent this again?
I didn't demand you do anything

I asked if you were gonna try it, you said yes, I said "It's just ok at best", and you were all like "Well, I like my JRPGs", and I was all like "Well ok then"

I wanted you to keep P4A so I can smack you around while Nanako watches.

It was worth it just for Calista for me, that ending was beautiful =U
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 03, 2014, 06:09:04 PM
I asked if you were gonna try it, you said yes, I said "It's just ok at best", and you were all like "Well, I like my JRPGs", and I was all like "Well ok then"
OK at best makes me assume it's enjoyable for more than an hour. In your defense though I went in expecting a turn-based battle system, not a beat-em up.

I wanted you to keep P4A so I can smack you around while Nanako watches.
I couldn't get Nanako after I gave you that gift card which, by the way, you never told me what else you got with it.

It was worth it just for Calista for me, that ending was beautiful =U
Well I didn't have a boner for her like you did. She actually seemed to be a generic princess stereotype. Then again I only got to the point where you get to spy on her in the bathtub.

I actually preferred Syrenne to the other two but even she was too much of a drinker for my taste.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 03, 2014, 06:16:38 PM
I couldn't get Nanako after I gave you that gift card which, by the way, you never told me what else you got with it.
Stuff...

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 03, 2014, 06:16:38 PM
Well I didn't have a boner for her like you did. She actually seemed to be a generic princess stereotype. Then again I only got to the point where you get to spy on her in the bathtub.

I actually preferred Syrenne to the other two but even she was too much of a drinker for my taste.
I did mention that everyone is very "bland" at the beginning, but they really flesh out and reveal more about themselves as the game goes on. The characters and character interactions are easily the best part of the game, as in, if this was redone as an anime, it'd probably end up being one of my favourites =U, providing they adapt the characters properly of course.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 03, 2014, 06:23:32 PM
Stuff...
If you told me how disappointed in you would I be?

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 03, 2014, 06:23:32 PM
I did mention that everyone is very "bland" at the beginning, but they really flesh out and reveal more about themselves as the game goes on. The characters and character interactions are easily the best part of the game, as in, if this was redone as an anime, it'd probably end up being one of my favourites =U, providing they adapt the characters properly of course.
Sadly I don't think the boring, beat-em up battle system is going to allow me to get that far. I don't know why I was able to do it with Kingdom Hearts but I can't with this game and I really hope Xenoblade isn't as bad.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 03, 2014, 06:28:02 PM
If you told me how disappointed in you would I be?
I don't think you'd care, I got Hitomi for DoA Core Fighters, and still have $3.74 left.

Sadly I don't think the boring, beat-em up battle system is going to allow me to get that far.
I don't blame you, I'm just happy that I did, that ending was totally worth it.

I don't know why I was able to do it with Kingdom Hearts but I can't with this game and I really hope Xenoblade isn't as bad.
Xenoblade is better in every way except character cast =U. It is an action JRPG though...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 03, 2014, 06:41:16 PM
I don't think you'd care, I got Hitomi for DoA Core Fighters, and still have $3.74 left.
Oh I see. I figured you got the extra costume palettes for P4A which is why I was so surprised I didn't see you using them.

I don't blame you, I'm just happy that I did, that ending was totally worth it.
I think I'd rather watch it on YouTube,

Xenoblade is better in every way except character cast =U. It is an action JRPG though...
Well fuck.
Where are all the good turn-based JRPGs at?
Actually I still need to play Ni No Kuni. Maybe I'll just rent that after I beat Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 03, 2014, 06:47:03 PM
Oh I see. I figured you got the extra costume palettes for P4A which is why I was so surprised I didn't see you using them.
Why bother? Yu's red undershirt is clearly the best colour in the game >=U

I think I'd rather watch it on YouTube,
It probably won't appeal to you at all, especially since you quit the game when the characters are at their blandest.

Well fuck.
Where are all the good turn-based JRPGs at?
Actually I still need to play Ni No Kuni. Maybe I'll just rent that after I beat Fire Emblem: Awakening.
Ni No Kuni is an action JRPG too

Good to know someone else feels this way. I hope you understand my recent indifference to the "new Final Fantasy", and why I'm soo f*cking hyped for Bravely Default, have you tried that demo yet btw?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 03, 2014, 06:59:20 PM
Why bother? Yu's red undershirt is clearly the best colour in the game >=U
Even better than pure gold man candy?

It probably won't appeal to you at all, especially since you quit the game when the characters are at their blandest.
Well that's a load off my mind.

Ni No Kuni is an action JRPG too

Good to know someone else feels this way. I hope you understand my recent indifference to the "new Final Fantasy", and why I'm soo f*cking hyped for Bravely Default, have you tried that demo yet btw?
Are you fucking serious? I mean, I don't mind them when done right but God TLS's system is soooooo boring.

Well, Square did do Kingdom Hearts. I'm sure the new Final Fantasy games can't be that bad...
As for Bravely Default, no. I won't be trying it either. The reason why isn't because I don't like the game but because I have my heart set on getting FEA tomorrow and I don't want BD to make me second guess my decision.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 03, 2014, 07:07:47 PM
Even better than pure gold man candy?
That colour gives me cancer

Are you fucking serious?
A quick youtube search coulda told you that, but Ni No Kuni, for me, does it well, and I'm sure you'd have a good time with it.

Well, Square did do Kingdom Hearts. I'm sure the new Final Fantasy games can't be that bad...
Different teams Jkid...

As for Bravely Default, no. I won't be trying it either. The reason why isn't because I don't like the game but because I have my heart set on getting FEA tomorrow and I don't want BD to make me second guess my decision.
My retort to that is why the fuck didn't you get FEA last year so that you can dedicate this year to BD?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 04, 2014, 07:47:57 AM
My retort to that is why the fuck didn't you get FEA last year so that you can dedicate this year to BD?
Because money problems, but because FE just stole 20+ hours of my life away even I'm questioning myself.

brb, playing more Fire Emblem

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 06, 2014, 07:25:40 PM
Because money problems, but because FE just stole 20+ hours of my life away
I noticed...
It's partly why I stopped... and still haven't picked it back up...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on January 07, 2014, 04:53:45 AM
I noticed...
It's partly why I stopped... and still haven't picked it back up...
You stopped playing a game because is was utterly fantastic?

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 07, 2014, 05:13:14 AM
You stopped playing a game because is was utterly fantastic?
I played it, paused because of reasons, when I could play games again, I acquired shorter games, I decided to beat the shorter games b4 going back to it.

Right now the only one left on that list is to finish the post game stuff on Black 2.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 07, 2014, 06:05:40 AM
Did you beat it at least?
Do you have any idea how long FEA is? Ofc I didn't.
My cousin did tho...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 07, 2014, 06:24:51 AM
25 Chapters is too long for you?
When you're repeating the same chapter 10 times to make sure everyone doesn't die, and you're too far to just start a new file and pick n00b mode, then yeah.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

I played on Casual so I didn't have to deal with that. If I'm going to nuzlocke my shit I'm not going to be a puss and reset my game.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 07, 2014, 06:43:48 AM
If I'm going to nuzlocke my shit I'm not going to be a puss and reset my game.
This...

So, yeah...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

I can see the appeal of Classic mode and I kind of want to try it some time just to see how certain deaths affect the story but my units (that aren't named jkid) die too often for me to feel confident about permadeath.

Casual mode was one of the best additions to this game.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 07, 2014, 06:54:46 AM
I can see the appeal of Classic mode and I kind of want to try it some time just to see how certain deaths affect the story but my units (that aren't named jkid) die too often for me to feel confident about permadeath.
coughSumiacough

Quote from: jkid101094 on January 07, 2014, 06:54:46 AM
Casual mode was one of the best additions to this game.
All of the truth.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay