Haku's Code of Princess Review

Started by Hakudamashi, January 02, 2014, 08:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

So there was a sale on the 3DS Nintendo E-shop over the holidays, so I got this and Liberation Maiden because anime =P.
This is an anime-style RPG beat 'em up game that's broken up into missions, each mission has it's own difficulty. Beat a mission get EXP to level up and distribute dem points into your stats to get stronger n' stuff.

What I Liked
The Story
This is a humourous not to be taken seriously tale of a princess Solange taking the Deluxcalibur*cough* to slay evil after her castle exploded. And it's the in your face self aware kind of humour like Disgaea, which I like from time to time. Some jokes feel forced, but I found it to be genuinely fun most of the time, I don't remember cringing at anything, so that's something I guess. And I think it helps that all the voice actors and actresses are overacting.

The Characters
While the only characters I'll say I actually liked are Solange and...Buju...Juju?... Kuju?... that purple ninja, I found the cast to be likeable for the most part, and they are accompanied by a colourful art style so they're also pleasing to the eyes.

The Combat
Well it is a hack n' slashin beat 'em up game so expect large crowds to one of you. It's kinda slow, but it's a fun kind of slow, like Odin's Sphere, or Muramasa, or Dragon's Crown... all done by Atlus... But this game does Street Fighter style combos where moves can link together and their special moves are done with motions on the D-pad, and I think it flows well enough. I mean, for a beat 'em up game on a handheld with not that big a screen, it does it's job to be a fun time in bursts =U

Many Much Playable Characters
Through the campaign, you only get to play as the initial 4, but in Free Play mode, you can play as any character you've unlocked. You can be a bat, a tree, a titan, a plant, a slime... even an orphan...It's great.

It's Short and Sweet
The campaign is short...like really short, like, nearly Shantae:Risky's Revenge short... maybe even shorter. But that's ok, the game doesn't overstay it's welcome and it leaves a lasting impression while it lasts. Besides, the game is totally replayable, not just cause I find it's slow Street Fighter combat fun, but it also has some replay value between collecting stuff like characters and equipment, to playing these bonus missions you unlock by doing other stuff. There's also local and online multiplayer for co op and competitive play... but good luck finding anybody...

What I Didn't Like
Difficulty
The game's not hard, it's actually a lot of fun, a good distraction, something I like in my handhelds, until you get to a chapter called "Memories" when they all of a sudden throw enemies with super armour at you =/, from then on it becomes a pain as enemies now get the sense to just swarm you and get you in infinite stun lock, which is cheap. So after you grind the f*ck outta your attack stats so that you just one-shot everything, your now too OP to enjoy the game ever again, and now have to "revert your character"... but that's a one way street, once you revert that character back to lvl 1, that's it, you have to grind them back to what they were. To "balance" this I guess, the game gives a lot of equipment that lowers all your stats rather than reverting them... but then I have to remember equipment names...

Why is This a 3DS Game?
I know it's just me being a little bitch but... why? It uses none of the 3DS features, this could've easily have been a PSP game. It doesn't use the bottom screen for shit, and, like PKMN X/Y, most of the game doesn't even use the 3D...

The Verdict
I think it's a good game, one that I will definitely be going back to from time to time when I'm in the car n' stuff, however, I don't think this game is worth full price, nor do I recommend going out of your way to find it, unless you really want to see Solange being cute, but that's what Youtube's for =U. But if you DO want it, I suggest keeping it, it's a good mobile game to play when you're waiting around for stuff.

7/10
4/5
B-
Buy It
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Well look at the balls at this kid, telling me games I like are "inferior"

Inferior how?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

I want to play SMT 4 but my eyes are glued to Fire Emblem: Awakening and Project X Zone.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on January 02, 2014, 11:37:09 AM
Liberation Maiden - unremarkable rail shooter
Code of Princess - dull hack-and-slash
This is why we don't talk often about video games.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Only cause you won't shut up about Lost World
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SmashFinale

I swear i made a post on this yesterday.
If you need an online buddy, ask me to play.
(and it's Zozo btw)

Hakudamashi

Not the necromancer, Ali's boyfriend.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

SmashFinale

Hakudamashi

Yeah, that guy, he's funny, and took on three dragons and doesn't afraid of anything.

Quote from: Elija2 on January 02, 2014, 11:37:09 AM
Liberation Maiden - unremarkable rail shooter
Shows what you know, it's not even a rail shooter.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay