Where Are Wolfy and Tana When You Need Them?

Started by jkid101094, March 24, 2014, 06:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkid101094

So recently I downloaded The Sims 2 plus all the expansion packs. The game is incredibly fun and even though the graphics were all weird I just assumed it was because my graphics card was poor and payed it no mind.

...that was until my computer started shutting down, that is.

After about a half hour of play my computer screen would go dark and nine times out of ten the sound would cut out; moving the mouse did nothing as well. I assumed this was my computer shutting down and looked the problem up. I found out that the problem was my computer not being able to handle the game so I set the graphics to their minimum and played again. This helped a bit but the problem still persisted. After a bit more searching and coming across asshole after asshole I finally figured out the problem. Apparently my graphics card wasn't strong enough and was causing my system to overheat because it was rendering more than it was supposed to. Well I assumed this was the answer, but curious about how far off the mark I was I checked the "Can You RUN It?" site...

...the results were unexpected...

I passed everything? Excuse me? Then why the hell was my system overheating?

So now I've come to you, loyal followers and computer geeks. Please help a sad Goddess play her Sims.

Edit: I think it's worth also saying that this also happened with Spore Creature Creator. Not Spore itself, mind you. THE FUCKING FREE TRIAL OF THE CREATURE CREATOR.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Is your computer fully updated? Make sure you have the latest drivers for everything.
Does your computer have a virus? Find and remove it with Malwarebytes.
Is your computer old? Clean it out with a can of compressed air.

jkid101094

Apparently my graphics driver was outdated. Boy do I feel stupid.
I'll see if updating it fixes the problem and report back. Thanks, Eli~

Edit: I managed to solve the texture problems, but the overheating problem still remains. I've decided to play only in short bursts until my comp gets hot, let it cool and play more but I'm not sure that's good at all for poor Irene. I suppose I could try updating more drivers but since you have to do them one by one I'd have no idea where to start.

On the plus side the game is really pretty.

Post Merge: March 25, 2014, 08:25:35 AM

Disregard what I said earlier. This, surprisingly, fixed the problem entirely. I am a happy jkid.

~Locked~

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Elija2

Next time you make a tech-support thread the title better be "Where is Eli when you need him?"

Do you need me to teach you how to lock a thread?

jkid101094

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on March 25, 2014, 06:21:13 AM
You Pirate.
If it was any other game I wouldn't, but there's no way in Hell I can afford the complete Sims 2 game.

Quote from: Elija2 on March 25, 2014, 06:32:24 AM
Do you need me to teach you how to lock a thread?
...I forgot...

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.