Haku's THE MOTHERTRUCKIN' WONDEFUL WON OH WON Review

Started by Hakudamashi, October 29, 2013, 05:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakudamashi

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS

Waddup? There's a lot of games I've played and beaten between now and my last review, but I never bothered to type them up cause school. But this game in particular made such a big impression on me, I HAD to talk about it ASAP.

What I Liked
EVERYTHING
[/s]
The Story
At it's worst, it'll entertain you, at it's very best, you'll weep manly tears. This plot was surprisingly well written from what I was expecting with good voice acting and a likeable cast of characters...except for 1... It starts off very goofy and doesn't take itself seriously, and is full of visual gags, and relishes in being full of sh*t. But then halfway through the single player, be prepared for a SERIOUS mood whiplash, cause all of a sudden it starts taking itself seriously, the whole writing just changes for the more serious and "edgy". Granted it still equally just as entertaining and well written, and one can even argue that the second half is better than the first, I know I did, but some people would rather just one tone for a story... so just look at for that.

The Combat
Fucking Fantastic. Alot more fast, responsive and fun than you'd think. You can do the different morphs via right analog stick or by drawing on the gamepad...(use the analog stick pls...plz) and the game gives you enough leeway that drawing the morphs aren't a pain the ass, and the game kinda freezes in time while you're drawing, so that didn't give any trouble. Each morph has a special way of kicking ass, but they're not exactly "situational"(until you come to the bosses) and I found them all fun to use. Then when you buy the superspecialawesome special techniques from the WONDERFUL MART, you become near invincible near the end and you become this unstoppable wonderful wrecking batch of 101 harbingers of death and destruction that dispatches any unwonderful one who isn't wonderful enough to wonder the wonder of your wonderful arsenal of wonder.
'Tis fun.
You should make it your mission to encircle and enslave  recruit as many of the citizens as you can, cause not only do they increase your maximum battery output which is required to do morphs and other techniques, but the more you have, you have the possibility to make bigger morphs that move just as fast, but cover more distance, and are much stronger.
Among the citizens you can also recruit other Wonderful ones, who, unlike the citizens, stay with you from level to level. And as the title suggests, yes, there are 101 wonderful ones in the game... well technically 104, but that's a tale for another day.

Collectibles
You like collecting sh*t? Then this is the game for you, you collecting sh*t all the damn, figures, art, moosiks, coins, etc. Some are stupidly obvious, while others are very smartly placed and well hidden, and then there are some that are dickishly placed that I swear shouldn't have any business being there, and are only there to waste my f*cking time >=U.

Gamepad Use

My first playrhough was with the gamepad, yes. Some missions require you to send the wonderful ones to do a task within a bulding, while you have to keep a lookout for environmental hazards on the outside. You can use the second screen on the gamepad to do this, or you can press the "-" button to put the second screen on this tiny ass tiny screen of tinyness that etched on the bottom right of the TV where I can't see sh*t, but if you want to not use the gamepad, then the option is there for you.

What I Didn't Like
The Platinum Curse
An ongoing trend I tend to notice with games developed by Platinum, except arguabley Metal Gear Rising, is that the first playthrough of their games tend to...not be the best thing ever... I'mma just call it the Platinum Curse from now on.
Their games start you off very underpowered for the task at hand, and there's the rigorous challenge of your first encounter with the bosses where you're fumbling with all the tools you have on you till you find by accident what stops what, and it is especially apparent in this game, they don't even start you with either a way to block or dodge, you have to earn that sh*t. And the bosses, on your first outing tend to have quite the unclear patterns, and if you aren't quick on your feet, these bosses can last 30mins+, especially the final battle.
I know you're thinking "So this game is hard? That sounds tubular, I like figuring bosses and getting power ups." Well I do too. The reason I put this as a negative is because you start with NEITHER a reliable way to dodge, nor guard. Think about that for a sec.

The Camera
Straight up, it's too zoomed in, you're going to get blind-sided, it's inevitable, unless you have the reflexes of a GOD, and it's quite difficult to see the environment to know where to go next.
So what you can do is start a Unite Morph, cause this forces the camera to zoom out, then cancel it with the "Y" button. It costs nothing to start the drawing, so don't worry about wasting resources, but it's still annoying.

THE VERDICT
[/b][/u]
As a whole? This game is great. The story and characters were great so I got through the first playthrough, and by the end I'm soo jacked with wonderful power that all successive playthroughs are a blast. The soundtrack isn't anything to talk about, but it's good enough to get you through the stages. The camera can be a pain at times, but the game itself is soo frantic and fun and infinitely replayable that you can ignore it.

8/10
4/5
A
Buy It

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay