Salas's Overview > Ib

Started by xSalashawty, September 10, 2013, 06:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSalashawty

First review ever, forum died when I typed this so here we go again. Since it's my first, I'm just kinda templating other reviews just to make it not a failure. Inevitably though, there will be screw ups. Anyways, let's go.

Quote from: Official Description (English)A young girl named Ib visits an art gallery with her parents.
While observing the many exhibits, she suddenly realizes she is alone. And in her search for others, she finds things awry in the gallery...
The game is focused on exploration and puzzle-solving. There are no battles, and it does not demand quick reflexes. It's designed to be accessible to all kinds of players, so enjoy

Ib is a free horror game crafted by Kouri with RPG Maker 2000 (If the title screen wasn't intimidating enough to be a horror game.)

Idea
Not as unique, but not 110% generic. Usual lost-in-someplace-or-situation-helpless. Interesting way to do a puzzle game.

Difficulty/gameplay
The game is a bit challenging to the head, be warned. Fun if you can think outside the box! If you can't...well..good luck without looking at a guide. Everytime you finish a puzzle though, the feeling of getting it over with is quite rewarding. It's all simple - push things here and there, grab key to get to the next area. Easier said than done. To sum it up, simple but difficult, not such a cakewalk. It's similar with some other RPG games.

Atmosphere & other details
The atmosphere gets increasingly better as you progress through the game, especially towards the bonus areas. The music does contribute to "remember, this is a horror game, keep your guard up!" with the eerie tone to it. While playing as the protagonist, the 9 year old innocent little girl, you really are placed into her feet, which is a plus. Sometimes it's a killer for curiosity, but it really does add a bit to the game and helplessness. You also have a chance to get attached to the characters. This is like..whoahwhat. Your attachment...the endings...
How does this end?
Seven different endings (11 if you count variations.) Some of these endings will infuriate you, some will send you into tears.
Depending on your relation points between everyone (these are unknown to you, sadly) your ending will completely vary. Not only choices you make throughout the story, but events on whether you complete something will also determine what happens.
If you want more of the game, fear not! After you play an ending (and save afterwards,) you will restart the game (yay for replaying it over) and at the end, you will have a chance to do an extra dungeon/area, like mentioned earlier. It's much harder, yet more rewarding. It rewards you with the bonus usual things. Still worth it if you're really into the game! (tip - read as many paintings as you can. I can NOT express how important that will be if you replay for the bonus.)

Overall
This game..ups and downs but still fun and gives you smiles here and there. If you want something to play, go give Ib a try. (tsktsk yess horror but it's pretty tame, only mild jumpscares & not like you cant play with lights)
8.7/10,87/100,87%,B+ not too shabbyy!

interested?
OFFICIAL SITE/DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.vgperson.com/games/ib.htm

Are you lookin' at me fruitcake? I don't need a date.
Click me.