Nintendo drops out of Nikkei, Major stock drop

Started by shadowDOESrock, September 09, 2013, 02:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

QuoteNintendo's stock has dropped more than 8%, and the company's stock has missed out on the recent Nikkei 225 market list.

A report over on Bloomberg explains that Nintendo's stock slump is the biggest it has suffered in two years – July 2011 to be precise – dropping 8.4% to ¥10,860 per share.

The decrease follows a stock rise of 31% earlier this year as Osaka and Tokyo's stock exchanges merged, making Nintendo eligible for inclusion in the Nikkei 225 list. The figure anticipated positive performance from the company, but today's list did not include Nintendo. Some industry figures had previously predicted that the company could be too big to be included, with current market evaluation at $15.4 billion, however.

CLSA analyst Jay Defibaugh changed the status of Nintendo's stock from 'buy to 'sell' today, and said of Nintendo's absence from the Nikkei list, "The early signs of key first-party software inducing a major turnaround in Wii U console fundamentals are not promising, and the outlook for third-party support is grim. The value of iconic Nintendo franchises may be declining as younger generations discover gaming through mobile devices."

BNP Paribas SA analyst Takao Suzuki added, "We believe Nintendo's shares have been overvalued due to speculative demand, on the assumption that they would be included in the Nikkei. As this expectation has come to nothing, this appears to be the right time to sell."

TheGameNinja

CLSA analyst Jay Defibaugh changed the status of Nintendo's stock from 'buy to 'sell' today, and said of Nintendo's absence from the Nikkei list, "The early signs of key first-party software inducing a major turnaround in Wii U console fundamentals are not promising, and the outlook for third-party support is grim. The value of iconic Nintendo franchises may be declining as younger generations discover gaming through mobile devices."

sigh

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

No one plays games on their phones instead of console games. No one. Anyone who think this has no idea what they are talking about.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: TheGameNinja on September 09, 2013, 10:54:52 AM
No one plays games on their phones instead of console games. No one. Anyone who think this has no idea what they are talking about.
It's not like videogame professionals haven't talked bullshit before.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: TheGameNinja on September 09, 2013, 10:54:52 AM

That is, infact, not true.
Thing is, before Smartphones Mom and Dad of Little Jim bought little Jim a Nintendo.

Now, Mom and Dad of Little Jeffery won't buy him a Nintendo. Instead, an iPhone. It does everything.
Mom and Dad are happy. Little Jefferey is happy.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on September 10, 2013, 05:04:58 AM
Thing is, before Smartphones Mom and Dad of Little Jim bought little Jim a Nintendo.

Now, Mom and Dad of Little Jeffery won't buy him a Nintendo. Instead, an iPhone. It does everything.

No, I don't think that would happen. That is, if the kid wanted to play games he would not be asking for a phone (which, let's face it, he already has).

The kid's going to go through phone upgrades but they'll always play the same games. And those aren't the games the kid's seeing commercials for.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on September 10, 2013, 05:04:58 AM

You and I clearly live in different worlds, cause that's not what I see come Christmas time, or birthdays for that matter.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

The Numbers clearly say otherwise.

Out here no one owns Nintendo anymore.
Kids have iPhones, iPads and a Playstation.

I honestly do not know where you get the idea that parents still buy their Kids Nintendo like they did some time ago.

TheGameNinja

People buy Nintendo for Nintendo. Nintendo is having problems now because of the run-away success of the Wii, not because of the absolute failure of the 3DS or even the Wii U. The 3DS had a rocky launch and now has legs. The Wii U will too, because Nintendo will always be able to support themselves.

The Wii was too successful.

Everyone expected Wii owners to adopt to the Wii U. That was never going to happen. People bought the Wii as a toy because it was popular. Same for Wii Fit even though they probably only ever played it twice.

Kids do play games, I see kids playing games all the time on Nintendo handhelds. It's always the DS lite though.

I just don't believe that anyone could equate a game of Flick the Screen with a dedicated game console.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on September 10, 2013, 09:59:26 AM
The Numbers clearly say otherwise.

Out here no one owns Nintendo anymore.
Kids have iPhones, iPads and a Playstation.

I honestly do not know where you get the idea that parents still buy their Kids Nintendo like they did some time ago.
The real life human beings I communicate with discuss with me that their Christmas wish list consist of Nintendo and alchohol and maybe clothes.

Down here where I live, nobody asks for fancy phones, we get those ourselves during the summer. No kid asks for fancy phones, they play with their parent's. When it comes to asking time(Christmas, Birthdays, even anniversaries in some cases), they ask for Nintendo
Why?
Cause we like family time, and Nintendo does a good job and keeping family time a happy time.

Fuck your numbers.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: TheGameNinja on September 10, 2013, 01:49:36 PM
I just don't believe that anyone could equate a game of Flick the Screen with a dedicated game console.

And that is your mistake. Why do you think everyone moves from dedicated Vita/3DS Games to Smartphones?
Infact, I saw a report on the British The Sun Newspaper about how great gaming is and how everyone can now become a gamer thanks to the iPhone.

Besides, we have reached the point where you can get actual full games on Smartphones.

TheGameNinja

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on September 11, 2013, 02:48:50 AM
Why do you think everyone moves from dedicated Vita/3DS Games to Smartphones?

Because that hasn't happened? Yeah, the Vita isn't doing great, but that's its own fault not smartphones. And the 3DS is doing fine and about to get a huge bump with Pokemon.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: TheGameNinja on September 11, 2013, 05:23:46 AM
Because that hasn't happened?

*stares blankly at the screen*

Either you have completely missed the huge movement towards Smartphones or I am missing the key thing here that proves otherwise?

:U

TheGameNinja

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on September 11, 2013, 05:53:42 AM
*stares blankly at the screen*

Either you have completely missed the huge movement towards Smartphones or I am missing the key thing here that proves otherwise?

:U
I know people use smartphones. I do not see people play more than Angry Birds on them.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: TheGameNinja on September 11, 2013, 07:31:56 AM
I know people use smartphones. I do not see people play more than Angry Birds on them.

Is that what you see or what you want to believe?
Do you watch the Smartphones of 12 year olds in the bus or what?

eXtremeAzure

The way I see it ~ Nintendo fell flat again with their launch of the Wii U, because once again, they launched a successor off the momentum of their predecessor and expected it to flow while they work on the first-party, sales generating titles in the background.

Once again - that didn't happen.

There were more 3rd-party titles at the Wii U's launch, than their were first-party titles, and even though this is a good thing (considering that third-parties usually avoid Nintendo platforms) ~ that slumped Wii U's sales at the beginning of the year because most of those franchises never saw daylight on a Nintendo console, and if they did, they sucked.

I believe that when Nintendo finishes rolling out their big-name titles at the end of this year, added with the $50 price-cut, the Wii U should be up-&-running again. Zelda, DK and Mario - they always sell, there's no justifiable denial on that claim. On top of that, the Wii U is also getting Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, M&S: at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games, Wii Fit & Party U, as well as a decent amount of 'AAA' multiplats and a plethora of indie games.

That's a pretty solid line-up, right there. If this fails to push the Wii U ~ then we'll have to wait for next year, when Mario Kart & Smash come out. If that fails...then Nintendo really should scrap the Wii U. But that's just worst-case-scenario.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on September 11, 2013, 07:53:14 AM
Is that what you see or what you want to believe?
Do you watch the Smartphones of 12 year olds in the bus or what?
I see people use their smartphones for either work, talk or music, if there's a game on it, it's a shitter or waiting in line game.
NO informed person is gonna buy a smartphone to play games, they buy the smartphone to do other things, and it just so happens to have games on it.

If people want a handheld for the purpose of playing games, they'll get a 3DS/Vita.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

I'd like to see what they're playing. I'm sure there are tons of kids with smartphones that play games on them. My little brother and sister are allowed to use their phones in school now. How much of that time isn't thee equivalent of a flash game they play for a minute when they're bored in class?

I'm not saying kids don't play games on their phones just that they won't play a game on their phone INSTEAD OF a game on a console, if they have the option.