What do you think of Sonic Lost World?

Started by sonicfan55, August 12, 2013, 12:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonicfan55

Title speaks for itself, I heard some people say they think the parkour gameplay looks awesome, some think is might suck.  Personally, I'm really excited! <3

DaHog

It looks like Sega's trying to appease Classic and Modern fans, as well as trying to attract Mario fans.

Trigger215

Quote from: DaHog on September 21, 2013, 05:32:21 AM
It looks like Sega's trying to appease Classic and Modern fans, as well as trying to attract Mario fans.
Of course they are, it is made by the Sega-Nintendo partnership launched a couple months ago..

Xyno76

I won't be able to pick it up on day 1, or 2, or probably even a month after it comes out... but I really want to see how this new mechanic works! SEGA always like to spice up and change gameplay, and I'm excited on how they have tweaked with the hedgehog engine! :D
I don't want a signature yet. I gotta think of a new one first xD

tezzyman

i can't wait to play it, i've been told its awesome, i've looked at the cut scenes, some of them i thought was, nice, but then i saw them capture and turn tails into a robot i thought no way, but man, i'm excited i can't wait to get it to play it myself!

Hakudamashi

Can I just take amount to praise how f*cking amazing this game's framerate is?
I got the Wii U version today btw.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on November 05, 2013, 03:51:34 PM
How does it compare to the 3DS version?
Comparing the Wii U ver. to the 3DS ver. is like comparing Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 to Sonic 06 when asked "Which 3D platformer should I buy?"

The framerate is amazing, Sonic controls great, and is responsive(providing you take a good 30mins or so out of your day to actuall adjust to the control scheme)
The level design, for the most part, is fun and replayable. Any level I didn't want to replay was because the level gimmick wasn't my cup of tea, and not the game being cheap(f*ck ice physics, and instant kill bombs @_@)
I can actually appreciate how good the soundtrack is, and the game is really pretty to look at.

I also personally like how they handled speed in this game. From what I've attempted, it is indeed quite possible to just blaze through every level like a Sonic game should, but unlike Generations and other previous Sonic games, this game REALLY makes you work for that speed. Using all the tools given to you, you got to make every jump, every "parkour" picture perfect, and master the art of transitioning from Spindash to Running. Cause f*cking up WILL cost you a life, but getting it right can allow you to beat a 2min30sec stage in under 30secs, 'Tis quite epic.
(This is of cource not counting those few "super gimmick" levels where the speed of the level is out of your control... cause someone thought auto-scrolling levels were a good idea...)

And you might not believe this, but this game is actually quite the challenge =U. Maybe I'm just not 100% used to the controls yet, but they really make lives count in this game, they even got rid of "get 100 rings to get an extra life" =U. Hell, I might be pushing it, but I'd almost compare it to Donkey Kong Country Returns, when you die, you're gonna call bullshit, but as you attempt it again and again, you start to "get it", then the level becomes a total pushover every other time you play it.

So yeah, the Wii U ver. is a good game, dare I say it's great game. I'm deeply enjoying it, got all the way to Zone 7 Act 2 then I had to stop cause this level is kicking my ass pretty hard...

The 3DS ver. can still suck a phat dick and die in a fire, and I hope I never see it again.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

I'mma delete it, remove the save file, and avoid the 3DS eShop until enough new games have arrived that it gets pushed back to some double digit page number.
Get the Wii U ver., fuck the 3DS ver.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on November 05, 2013, 04:41:52 PM
Well it's nice that you're enjoying it, but it's just another game that's getting in the way of you finishing VLR.
Pish Posh
I may be stuck on this level for now, but check it, I'll beat that level, then beat the game, while juggling VLR, and it'll be awesome.
What you and I should be worrying about, is whenever Soul Sacrifice becomes free on PS+. My brother has been wanting to play that game forever, and we only have one Vita to share between us =(
But it's not coming this week, so I should be able to finish it before then.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on November 05, 2013, 04:54:04 PM
But I can imagine that playing two story-rich games like VLR and Lost World at the same time can get confusing.
Lost World? Story-Rich?
It has a lot of cutscenes, one in the beginning and end of every level, but the actual story is quite simple, so there'll be no problem there.

At this moment, I'm not sure if I like Lost World as much as Sonic Unleashed, which I'm sure you guys know is my favourite game of all time... I will admit, I'm still getting use to the controls, I'm still lerning2parkour.

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

No, that would be Jkid =P
Speaking of which, I have Jet Set Radio for both PS3 and Vita... haven't touched either...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on November 05, 2013, 05:24:58 PM
Wow, it's like you never play any of the games I like even though you have access to them.
Hey, I played and enjoyed 999 and VLR =V

It's more like, at first glance, they didn't interest me, I just need a good friend to get me to try them out is all...

I have my own tastes in games, so I don't exactly go searching for games outside of those tastes...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Oh C'mon, ONE mistake =U
I f*cked up that ONE time this whole year, gimme a break already >_<

And I do trust other people's tastes =P
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Well I'm sorry, they just didn't interest me at the time =U.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

tezzyman

i liked when tails reprogrammed the machine so he's still himself, and the things he did, that is genius

Ravenfreak

It's not that bad of a game, though I will say the Special Stages are a pain in the butt. I own the 3DS version and needless to say I almost got the first emerald but failed and felt dizzy afterwards. x.X

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

I need some f*cking therapy before I can be rid of it forever...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

I hate this game. I hate this game. I hate this game. I hate this game. I hate this game. I hate this game.
I hate this game. I hate this game. I hate this game. I hate this game. I hate this game. I hate this game.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

Thankfully I only rented it, so I can return the thing. I don't trust anyone else's opinions on games, though.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

jkid101094

He also likes the Werehog so he's obviously one of the least sane people here.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

I knew I was right not to recommend this game to you with your $50.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

I'd recommend the Wii U ver. to people like you n' Kyo n' Miles the Hedgehawk. Y'know, people that I'm positive that not only give a shit platformers, but are also willing to suffer through a few seemingly cheap deaths to learn how the game works.

The game's conveyance is shit.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on November 26, 2013, 11:01:04 AM
The 3D levels are just straight lines with few obstacles
And Generations was better in this department? I don't quite understand this point...

the 2D levels look linear and boring.
Why are 2D segments even in my 3D platformer?

The parkour mechanic has potential but isn't very intuitive,
True... until you start going for the red rings...

the shifting speeds mechanic seems unnecessary since Sonic's controls in the Adventure games already worked well for speed and platforming.
When last did you play SA2?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on November 26, 2013, 12:06:11 PM
Fairly recently. You think there are problems with SA2's controls that are fixed with the shifting speeds mechanic in Lost World?
Stopping

I run fast, I see something I wish to stop for, I try to stop, Sonic keeps going, I lose my focus, I fall to my death/run into an enemy. And stages like Crazy Gadget where I edge and edge, ever so slightly tapping the analog stick in one direction so that Sonic doesn't just slide off a platform, Sonic Heroes was specially bad with that.

This problem was for the most part remedied in Colours and Generations with the Stomp attack, but I still had trouble moving from a platform unless I was jumping like a maniac.

With this Run button, When I want Sonic to f*cking stop, he f*cking stops.

And don't come to me with any physics bullshit.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on November 26, 2013, 12:34:59 PM
Try pushing back or letting go of the analog stick next time.
Tugging the analog stick in the opposite direction either does one of two things when I try it.
1.Fuck all. At best, it makes Sonic do this awkward as heck 180 wide angled turn.
2.Sure, he does his little animation, I hear the screech noise, but he's still moving forward... into a bottomless pit.

Quote from: Elija2 on November 26, 2013, 12:34:59 PM
Maybe don't move the analog stick 100% in a direction if you want Sonic to move slower? Isn't that how most games do it? Why do you need different speed gears to properly control Sonic?
Do you take me for some retard? Of course I tilt the analog stick when I want to go slowly It tends to not matter for the most part. Either the game works like it's supposed to and Sonic does his little stumble animation so he doesn't fall off a ledge, but I swear, 90% of the time, no matter how slow I go, no matter how careful I am, it's like he just slides and goes wherever he damn well pleases.
The sliding, that god forsaken sliding, no matter what I do, Sonic just slides whenever I attempt to stop him to do anything slow paced.

I dunno if this Run button is the cause or not, but the point is, Sonic doesn't slip and slide whenever I want him to just sit still, and I don't have to wiggle the analog stick 4-7 times to get Sonic to face the right direction before I jump.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on November 26, 2013, 01:47:19 PM
Well then maybe Sonic Team should have tried polishing SA2's controls before ditching them and moving onto boost gameplay and now switching gears gameplay.
Sonic 06?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

I could go on and on with all the problems that this game has but first my pride won't let me stop until I unlock Super Sonic.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

So I have some animal grinding to do before I could fight the final boss (yet another problem with this game) and ended up going back to get all the Red Rings I missed. Then I got the ones in the final boss fight and beat the game. So as of this post I've beaten Sonic Lost World. All I have left now is the Bonus World.

Just beat the last Hidden stage...well that was a thing.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Final thoughts? How much do you hate it overall?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

It sunk down to 50/50.

I figured I'd throw a review out when I'm not as tired.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

I got used to the terrible controls and they began to seem much less terrible, granted they're still bad but they don't feel that way after awhile.

I still have plenty of shit to talk about with this game, though.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on November 27, 2013, 05:18:00 AM
I got used to the terrible controls and they began to seem much less terrible, granted they're still bad but they don't feel that way after awhile.
I say newcomers should dick around in Windy Hill acts1-4 for about 30mins to get used to it. Believe me, I was bothered by it at first too @_@. Didn't get used to it till Tropical Coast... then Frozen Factory happened...

Quote from: jkid101094 on November 27, 2013, 05:18:00 AM
I still have plenty of shit to talk about with this game, though.
You mean like the terrible conveyance, P.O.S. final boss, mood whiplashes of the story, the story in general, Frozen Factory, and that you need to get X Flickies to move on?
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on November 27, 2013, 05:24:40 AM
I say newcomers should dick around in Windy Hill acts1-4 for about 30mins to get used to it. Believe me, I was bothered by it at first too @_@. Didn't get used to it till Tropical Coast... then Frozen Factory happened...
I don't remember the stages in Frozen Factory being that hard...outside of the second one.

Quote from: Hakudamashi on November 27, 2013, 05:24:40 AM
You mean like the terrible conveyance, P.O.S. final boss, mood whiplashes of the story, the story in general, Frozen Factory, and that you need to get X Flickies to move on?
Not to mention the numerous glitches, the fact that the parkour system doesn't even work nor does the homing attack and, for the love of God, who in the hell thought half of the things in this game were good ideas?

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on November 27, 2013, 05:40:54 AM
I don't remember the stages in Frozen Factory being that hard...outside of the second one.
I'm talking more "Yay, I finally got used to the controls, now I'm having fun!"... then ice physics... and can't spindash... and can't attack when you jump while holding down the run button... now I'm a snowball...

Quote from: jkid101094 on November 27, 2013, 05:40:54 AM
Not to mention the numerous glitches, the fact that the parkour system doesn't even work nor does the homing attack and, for the love of God, who in the hell thought half of the things in this game were good ideas?
Glitches?
Parkour and Homing attack work for me... I actually go for the parkour routes, they tend to be the fastest, skip a lot of shit, and it's cool looking =U
Depends on which half we talking about.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on November 27, 2013, 05:47:04 AM
I'm talking more "Yay, I finally got used to the controls, now I'm having fun!"... then ice physics... and can't spindash... and can't attack when you jump while holding down the run button... now I'm a snowball...
I don't think I was used to the controls yet. I was finally found out how to walljump right before I fought Zavok the second time.

Glitches?

• If you homing attack an enemy that doesn't die in a single hit you'll sometimes get stuck inside them unable to move until you die.
  • In Desert Ruins Act 2 if you jump at one of the tunnels the stage will flip upside down. If you homing attack an enemy when this happens the gravity will switch with it causing you to die.
  • It is possible to clip through the pinball machines and fall to your death in the abyss below.
  • Jumping on certain objects will cause Sonic to never 'touch the ground', meaning you can't jump off and have to hope you slide off.
  • In Frozen Factory Act 4 I got stuck unable to clear a gap without Super Sonic because normal Sonic couldn't build enough speed.

And those are only off the top of my head.

Parkour and Homing attack work for me... I actually go for the parkour routes, they tend to be the fastest, skip a lot of shit, and it's cool looking =U
Have you tried getting the third Red Medal in Sky Road Act 1 the way you're supposed to?

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on November 27, 2013, 05:57:35 AM
I don't think I was used to the controls yet. I was finally found out how to walljump right before I fought Zavok the second time.
I used my Super Metroid knowledge and figured out how to do it in Desert Ruins Act 1

• If you homing attack an enemy that doesn't die in a single hit you'll sometimes get stuck inside them unable to move until you die.
  • In Desert Ruins Act 2 if you jump at one of the tunnels the stage will flip upside down. If you homing attack an enemy when this happens the gravity will switch with it causing you to die.
  • It is possible to clip through the pinball machines and fall to your death in the abyss below.
  • Jumping on certain objects will cause Sonic to never 'touch the ground', meaning you can't jump off and have to hope you slide off.
  • In Frozen Factory Act 4 I got stuck unable to clear a gap without Super Sonic because normal Sonic couldn't build enough speed.
I haven't experienced any of those =U. You trying to break the game?

Have you tried getting the third Red Medal in Sky Road Act 1 the way you're supposed to?
Wouldn't be telling you about Super Sonic getting instant killed by bombs if I didn't...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on November 27, 2013, 06:02:42 AM
I used my Super Metroid knowledge and figured out how to do it in Desert Ruins Act 1
I need to beat that game.

I haven't experienced any of those =U. You trying to break the game?
Nope. Just exploring and getting used to the new systems. I thought Crabmeat could be killed by a homing attack. Haha, fuck me.

Wouldn't be telling you about Super Sonic getting instant killed by bombs if I didn't...
The reason I ask is because I actually used a roundabout way. You're supposed to run along the wall but I was only ever able to do that once. I ended up abusing what might have been another glitch.

Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: jkid101094 on November 27, 2013, 06:06:47 AM
I need to beat that game.
You and me both. I have it on the Wii U virtual console... but then Spirit Tracks happened...

Quote from: jkid101094 on November 27, 2013, 06:06:47 AM
I thought Crabmeat could be killed by a homing attack. Haha, fuck me.
I used my combined Sonic 2 and Sonic Heroes knowledge to deal with those guys
Sonic 2 taught me that when you touch an enemy's weapon, regardless of you attacking it or not, you're gonna get hurt, and Sonic Heroes taught me that when you homing attack something, you have no control over where Sonic attacks. So when I saw the crabmeats, I had a hunch I shouldn't homing attack them...
Just goes to show how sh*t this game's conveyance is when I have to pull knowledge from all these previous games to understand what to do about anything...

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

tezzyman

that is true, but once you know how to take them out, it comes natural, sometimes doesn't it?

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

tezzyman

True. but other than that, i think the game is awesome

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

ShadowFox21

ExcaliberSonic9897

I mean its ok but I miss any good plot like in SA1 and SA2. And a little too cartoony we don't wanna go Mario do we?

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

DMAN64

Overall i liked though i liked Sonic Generations a bit better.

Sanic Boom

I enjoyed this game very much. However, something just didn't feel right. Maybe it was the new gameplay or something, I don't know. But overall, a good game. It could be better, but what it is now is fine.