Bethesda: We wont release any Wii U games due to lack of power

Started by shadowDOESrock, August 06, 2013, 07:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

Wii U owners hoping for a little Bethesda-brand steampunk/open world/pseudo-historical/massively multiplayer whatever may want to start grazing other pastures, as Nintendo's console is nowhere to be seen on the publisher's horizon.

"None of the game's we've announced are being developed for the Wii U, so it's guaranteed that none of those games are coming to Wii U," Bethesda VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines told us at QuakeCon, with regards to The Elder Scrolls Online, Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Evil Within. "Will any future ones come out? I can't say for sure, in our near-term focus it's not on our radar."

"It's largely a hardware thing," Hines said, explaining that Bethesda's mantra is to "make the games that we want to make, on whatever platforms will support them as developed." Giving an example, he said that The Elder Scrolls Online "likely would have" been released on Xbox 360, but that it "just wasn't possible" due to hardware limitations. Specifically referencing future announcements for the Wii U, Hines said that "it remains to be seen what the future holds."

This differs from the Wii U publishing reservations we've heard of from other companies, in that Bethesda's decision is based on hardware limitations, rather than the Wii U's lackluster performance at retail. EA, for instance, isn't bringing this year's installments of FIFA or Madden to Nintendo's platform due to the limited size of the console's installed user base. Similarly, Ubisoft was so confident that the Wii U would be unable to support the kind of sales it needed for Rayman Legends, that it delayed the game's release and extended its availability to other platforms.

Hakudamashi

I'm sure it's cause of the PS3's lack of power why Skyrim ran soo poorly.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: Hakudamashi on August 06, 2013, 07:51:51 PM

it ran poorly because it's an awfully optimised game and a lousy port.
Needless to say it was also a piece of crap on 360.

At least these guys don't have the excuse of "Err um err.. no market in the Wii U lol", it's obvious they're pretty focused on Next Gen, and it makes sense the Wii U wouldn't fit within their ambition.

Besides, who even buys a BethSoft game on Console... idiots.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

Makes sense, Bethesda's one of the companies that likes to push hardware limitations. At least theirs is a more valid reason than EA's. If the PS2 can get FIFA 14, there's no reason the Wii U can't.

jkid101094

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on August 06, 2013, 08:31:53 PM
Besides, who even buys a BethSoft game on Console... idiots.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

shadowDOESrock

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on August 07, 2013, 02:14:43 AM
Everyone.

Post Merge: August 07, 2013, 04:35:44 AM

Quote from: TheGameNinja on August 06, 2013, 09:44:03 PM
Makes sense, Bethesda's one of the companies that likes to push hardware limitations. At least theirs is a more valid reason than EA's. If the PS2 can get FIFA 14, there's no reason the Wii U can't.
I swear, if the PS2 had online capabilities like the Dreamcast back then, it'll be the only console people'll ever own.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

jkid101094

Quote from: Hakudamashi on August 07, 2013, 03:33:46 AM
I swear, if the PS2 had online capabilities like the Dreamcast back then, it'll be the only console people'll ever own.
There was actually a Twisted Metal Black remake with online multiplayer on the PS2.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

TheSlender

I really don't think of it that way. Yeah, it lagged. But at least it worked without crashing... at least it did for me.

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: TheSlender on August 07, 2013, 04:00:54 PM
I really don't think of it that way. Yeah, it lagged. But at least it worked without crashing... at least it did for me.

He was sarcastic.

The Reason it ran like crap on PS3 is because of how hard it is to develop on PS3 and the... confusing hardware.

Wolfy

Doesn't the PS3 have more power than the 360 though? And the lag issues were based on a save data glitch where the file size would dramatically increase with each save. It probably still isn't patched either. It's not like it matters though, BethSoft games run like shit on everything. The PC version of Skyrim is a buggy mess too, only with less bugs, the occasional crash, and not being capped at 30FPS. You also need something around an i7 just to run it at 60FPS on Ultra.

Point is, Bethesda is fucking horrible at optimization.

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on August 07, 2013, 04:14:23 PM
He was sarcastic.

The Reason it ran like crap on PS3 is because of how hard it is to develop on PS3 and the... confusing hardware.

That's not true. The 360 is even more difficult to develop on.

shadowDOESrock

Tanassy

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on August 07, 2013, 02:14:43 AM
Everyone.
Quote from: Iris Sapphire on August 06, 2013, 08:31:53 PM
idiots.
Quote from: Wolfy on August 07, 2013, 04:17:50 PM

That's completely wrong. the PS3 uses the Cell processor, an architecture created by Sony and never seen before neither in gaming or computing- for media. The 360 uses a much more familiar Architecture, as well as using the DirectX API.

As a result the PS3 is 1000000% times harder to make game on, even if it IS more powerful.

But yeah, Beth IS horrible at optimising their games, though it doesn't help they have such an "open" engine with so many openings for conflicts.
Bottom line is if you have any shred of sane in you you'd get the PC version of a BethSoft game.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on August 07, 2013, 04:14:23 PM
Yup, that's why Bethesda consistently gimps games on the PS3, even though other devs don't seem to have the same issue...
Point is, Bethesda is fucking horrible at optimization.

I think you meant to say developers hated working with the 360 because of Microsoft's charges and polices, which they seem to be doing away with nowadays.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: Hakudamashi on August 09, 2013, 03:54:59 PM
other devs don't seem to have the same issue...

Every dev has this issue. Almost every multiplat game runs worse on PS3.
Notable omissions being the first two Ninja Gaiden's.

Ofcourse, most of the time it isnt that noticeable and yeah, but Bethesda are the only ones off this bad.

Tanassy

Bethesda put less manpower into PS3 releases because they have partnership with Microsoft. They are piss-poor at coding for the PS3 though, no other developer goes quite so bad. Some games are even better on the platform, given it is more powerful, and some developers know how to utilize it.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on August 09, 2013, 04:19:18 PM
Every dev has this issue. Almost every multiplat game runs worse on PS3.
Notable omissions being the first two Ninja Gaiden's.

Ofcourse, most of the time it isnt that noticeable and yeah, but Bethesda are the only ones off this bad.
Just clarify, when I said "same" issue, I meant... the HUGE difference in the 2 versions. As far as I remember, the only other developer to make the PS3 ver soo much worse than the Xbox360 ver. was Platinum Games with Bayonetta, but not only was it patched, but ever other game they made for PS3 has ran great.

So forgive me if I rolled my eyes when they said "lack of power" is why they have no Wii U plans.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay