UK Retail Giant 'Asda' no longer stocking Wii U Systems

Started by shadowDOESrock, July 29, 2013, 11:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

UK retailer Asda will no longer stock the Wii U, its games or accessories across its 555 locations. CVG received a follow-up statement from Asda that the retailer will continue to sell Wii U games through its online portal on a case-by-case basis.

Asda had been at the forefront of price cuts to move the console out (of its stores, apparently). The company had committed two price cuts to the console during the first half of the year.

Nintendo could really use some good Wii U news soon. The Asda departure comes after publishers have begun publicly addressing the lack of Wii U sales, which have forced them to delay one-time exclusives (Ubisoft), to get them on multiple consoles (Square Enix) or make rational business decisions (EA).

SmashFinale

...was it like this for the PS3 when it came out?
Because if it wasnt (and i dont care that it was 6 years ago) then this is some grade a bullshit.

NiGHTS

It's probably because asda normally sell their electronics sections for about the same price as they buy them off the actual manufacturers so that they can bring in customers, who in turn buy more from their other sections that give them their huge profits.

So they can't really afford a console that isn't hitting target sales.

Hakudamashi

Sucks that the UK can't play Smash Bros. =(

Also, what happened to the news that the Wii U sales have increased in Japan since Pikmin 3's release?

Turns out Pikmin 3 was a system seller, to Japan anyway.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Speaking of which, Pikmin 3 was proctically on top of the UK's charts as well.. above even many AAA games that came out recently.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on July 30, 2013, 01:31:21 AM
Speaking of which, Pikmin 3 was proctically on top of the UK's charts as well.. above even many AAA games that came out recently.
Good Wii U news don't get exposure and bad Wii U news explode over the internet?

It's like the PS3 all over again >.<
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheGameNinja

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 30, 2013, 04:14:54 AM
Good Wii U news don't get exposure and bad Wii U news explode over the internet?

It's like the PS3 all over again >.<

More like any news at all on the internet.

It's not like this thing is the next Virtual Boy. Smash Bros. will help a lot once it comes out, it should have been a launch title. Also, I think putting it on the 3DS is a mistake. It's going to cannibalize sales. Most people won't get both versions and they are more likely to already have a 3DS compared to a Wii U. Even if it's awesome that we're going to have a handheld Smash Bros., it won't help the Wii U as much as it could have otherwise. They should have at last been more different, with the Wii U version able to boast a potentially higher roster count.

Hakudamashi

Still, Pikmin 3 sold consoles, and it isn't even in the West yet.
Smash Bros., Mario 3D World and Mario Kart will sell more consoles

And when they do, I hope we will never again count a console out on it's f*cking launch. Consoles have never been amazing at launch.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 30, 2013, 04:32:14 AM
Still, Pikmin 3 sold consoles, and it isn't even in the West yet.
Smash Bros., Mario 3D World and Mario Kart will sell more consoles

And when they do, I hope we will never again count a console out on it's f*cking launch. Consoles have never been amazing at launch.

By "in the west" I'm assuming you mean your region... it's certainly already out in most other places.
And yes, consoles have been pretty amazing at launch, actually. Most notable was the PS2, some of the best games on that system were launch or launch window titles.

Also, while I agree with you, TGN, I think that the versions will probably be different enough to be a good reason for smash fans to buy both. The netcode on the Wii U will probably be a lot more stable as well.
The way I see it, the 3DS version will be the go-to for events, whereas the Wii U version would most likely have a much better online experience.

..either way, this is only going to improve system sales to people who care about Nintendo and just want more games before their purchase. It isn't going to be the conversion on anyone who's already pledged to a PS4 or XBO.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on July 30, 2013, 04:50:23 AM
By "in the west" I'm assuming you mean your region... it's certainly already out in most other places.
And yes, consoles have been pretty amazing at launch, actually. Most notable was the PS2, some of the best games on that system were launch or launch window titles.
By in the west, I gues I technically meant "Americas"

Pretty sure the SNES,  PS2, and Dreamcast are the exceptions. Cause from my memory, console and handheld launches are normally either "meh", or just bad.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

It's actually quite true that most of the big 3's consoles have had a great launch over history, except for.. well, Nintendo. The N64 launch and all of about what, 3 games.. the DS launch and it's 4 games.. the Virtual boy, period..

But that's not the point. The reason people "Count the Wii U out" is because from launch up until even now, there just isn't much actually new or worth getting the system for, it lacks the power a next-gen system should have, and it's poorly marketed. So compare that to previous console launches at least being marketed as a new system for a new generation, usually coming out after their competitors, and offering lots of new games.. Even the N64 and DS at least launched with good games that offered totally new experiences, and had good selling points, as well as the power to fit into their respective generations.

The Wii U's launch sucked. You can't blame anyone for thinking that. It has much more potential, yes.. but it's launch still sucked, and it hasn't got much better, at least not enough to sell to those who now are already placing bets on Sony and Microsoft. And the Wii U had many months to try and sell itself without ANY interference by either of it's competition..

So basically, consoles may not be amazing at launch.. but the Wii U was far below average. So people are indeed counting it out and for very justifiable reasons.

Hakudamashi

Well, I just don't think on the same wave length of most other people.
I think I've said it before, but I don't buy systems based on promises, I buy systems cause I'm aware of one or two games that I know I want, and my game library just grows by picking up other things that also just so happen to be on the system.

I got the Wii U for Bayonetta 2, and Sonic Lost World, y'know, actually confirmed things. I'm indifferent about hardware, I just my games to have a smooth framerate and look pleasing to the eyes, which both of these games got covered. I like their controllers and interface, so that's enough for me to keep coming back to it even after I grow tired of those 2 games.
I'm not getting the Wii U because OMG NEXT GEN, or because better graphics or whatever, I got it to play good confirmed video games, so I planned ahead and budgeted accordingly

But alas, I can only speak for myself. Some guys can only buy one console, it's what they can afford, if they don't want a Wii U cause their confirmed library didn't interest them, then that's fine, pick the one you're most comfy with. What I don't understand is people counting the Wii U out not because they're not interested in their upcoming games, but because "It's not Next Gen".

I personally never pay attention to a console's launch, or it's life cycle for that matter. What I pay attention to are the games it's gonna get, which more often than not, don't come during it's launch line up.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Most people are simply counting the Wii U out because it doesn't have enough to interest them. It doesn't have the new experience they want.. and even if it does, most people won't buy a system for one or two games if there's more promise on another. It isn't always about that power.. that power is just one factor that essentially makes the PS4 and XBO more valuable platforms to create new experiences on, due to the higher limits, and more efficient and capable hardware.

I totally understand and agree with you for the most part, but I can't argue against anyone except for the most hardened haters, which I tend to avoid anyway. I have a Wii U, I like it, but it's gathering dust.. which is ringing alarm bells to me. The only games I have currently that are worth still owning my console for.. are MH3U and Pikmin 3. And out of all the upcoming games.. I'm interested in about 4 or 5?

On the PS4 I'm deeply interested in near to 10 different titles already, and rather heavily anticipating it.

For those who can't buy multiple consoles that is indeed the decider...

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on July 30, 2013, 07:13:41 AM
Most people are simply counting the Wii U out because it doesn't have enough to interest them.
That's fine, that's why we have 4 platforms, don't like one, go to another.
It doesn't have the new experience they want.. and even if it does, most people won't buy a system for one or two games if there's more promise on another.
Confirmed games get into your home to be enjoyed for all time, promises tend to go sour if held out too long =X.
It isn't always about that power.. that power is just one factor that essentially makes the PS4 and XBO more valuable platforms to create new experiences on, due to the higher limits, and more efficient and capable hardware.
What's the point of all that power and higher limits if they use it to make games I have no interest in? =V
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

I didn't say promises.. I said promise. There are a tonne of confirmed games on both other systems, ja? people like them, they're interested in them. Some have even experienced demos. Those systems have promise.

And you must have VERY narrow preferences, or very narrow exposure to upcoming games, if you say that.. not meaning to be rude here. I mean, as I said even I am interested in so many more games on those platforms..

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on July 30, 2013, 07:27:24 AM
And you must have VERY narrow preferences, or very narrow exposure to upcoming games, if you say that.. not meaning to be rude here. I mean, as I said even I am interested in so many more games on those platforms..
Yeah, I worded that part wrong. I meant to say just the fact they better hardware wouldn't mean much if it's not used right, and by "right", I mean in a way that I like.

From looking at what the PS4 and Xbone are doing, I am also excite, heck, I already got a PS4 pre-ordered for inFamous and Knack, and I've been sold on that whole game sharing thing.

What I was trying to get at is that I would like people to bash the consoles for their games, not their hardware, cause what's within the console won't matter if the developers don't use it in areas that the people care for.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Well, it can go either way.. sometimes, even developers bash hardware, because it's no use to them, they can't use it the way they want to. And that's what's happening with the Wii U.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on July 30, 2013, 07:47:36 AM
Well, it can go either way.. sometimes, even developers bash hardware, because it's no use to them, they can't use it the way they want to. And that's what's happening with the Wii U.
Well, Nintendo is a software company first that develops their own games. I'm sure if the Wii U is weird to use, it's cause Nintendo has their own plans on how to use it, and just hoped the 3rd party devs would hop on board.
Nintendo is pretty old school, and they outright refuse to conform to how developers these days do their games, so I guess that may be a reason why 3rd party developers just don't develop for Nintendo's consoles...

But again, I bought the Wii U for Nintendo's games. All those third party games I get on my PC, or that PS4 I'll be getting in November.

Again, I understand why people are upset with the Wii U, especially if they can only afford one console, I just want the community to bash it because they're not into Nintendo's games, not because of hardware, only developers can do anything about the hardware.
I mean, they put up with the Cell Processor...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Nintendo is indeed old fashioned.. it's been around for so long, and their methods are fairly archaic. That's part of the problem, and the reason why other companies aren't hopping on board.

The only contradiction to what you say just now though.. is that Nintendo are actually trying to push third-party support. For both the 3DS and Wii U, they promised to have third parties all over them. They have failed on that.
So it's impossible to say they merely had their own plans and wanted other to hop on board.

Also, the cell processor was awkward to use, but it was at least more powerful than the competition. That's why it slowly gained popularity and then sat alongside the 360 as it does now, people were WILLING to get used to it, and get the most out of it. The PS3 was a true 7th generation platform. The Wii U doesn't have the honor of being a true 8th generation system on the hardware level.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on July 30, 2013, 08:06:25 AM
The Wii U doesn't have the honor of being a true 8th generation system on the hardware level.
Ugh
A generation is simply a number of entities that were born around the same period. The Wii U could have the specs of the Atari Jaguar and it'd still be 8th Gen. You can't just change the meaning of the word Generation just cause you don't think Nintendo "deserves" it.

Besides, even if that's what Generation meant, the PS4 and Xbone don't have next gen hardware, the PC has had these parts available for years...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Of course, but we're not talking about PC's. we're talking about console generations. And a generation is often defined by levels of technology that are key at that point in time. In taht regard, both the Wii and Wii U are behind their respective generations in hardware.

Look, you may be ticked off by me mentioning it, and I don't like doing that, but what I'm saying is true, and the reason I'm saying it is because it matters. Not to me, to developers. To consumers.

But GG, for avoiding all of my other points leading up to that, and making me look like I'm just bashing at the Wii U's power.

If consoles were made with current PC hardware they'd be overpriced. And I mean around $3000 sort of overpriced. Consoles are made with the best possible compromise and parts that are made, unlike PCs, to work well with each other as a single entity.

This is why a console generation defines the level gaming is at currently. Every generation is expected to have a leap, and the Wii U doesn't provide a "next-gen" experience. At all. It's only new feature that hasn't been done before is the gamepad.

You saying "Ugh" makes me say "Ugh". You tend to always miss the point of what I say.

So let me say it again.
"The Cell processor was awkward to use, but it was at least more powerful than the competition. That's why it slowly gained popularity and then sat alongside the 360 as it does now, people were WILLING to get used to it, and get the most out of it."
This is not the case with the Wii U. People don't give a crap. It doesn't have nearly as much potential to the gamer or developer looking to make leaps in the gaming world. So because of that, nobody is going to take the risk of buying/developing for it, because it will not likely get any better in the foreseeable future. The only thing that can save it is if it sells significantly more, and that can only happen if Nintendo make something mind blowing within the limits of their system.

That's is why, in this situation, the hardware, yes, is indeed a serious contribution to the overall failure of this console, at this point in time. Nintendo failed on almost every edge, and they don't even have power to back onto, like the PS3 did. While a slight oversight... it's perfectly justified. Developers and players saying the Wii U is failing due to hardware- they're not right, but they're certainly not wrong either.
So they don't merely blame the games (or lack thereof), they also blame the hardware.
And to be perfectly honest, because of the hardware, the Wii U is doomed to the fate of the Wii. Even if they sold a console to everyone and their mother.. the hardware would eventually become the bank of only first and second-party Nintendo games, and inferior ports.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Iris Sapphire on July 30, 2013, 09:45:56 AM
But GG, for avoiding all of my other points leading up to that, and making me look like I'm just bashing at the Wii U's power.
I didn't quote the other parts because I agreed with you...
I just quoted the part I could make a comment on, that being the misuse of the word Generation.

Unless you wanted me to post
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay