Sonic Spinball

Started by TheSlender, July 21, 2013, 02:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSlender

Zer0 V.S Sonic Spinball

After Dr. Eggman creates a huge fortress in the middle of the ocean, Sonic and Tails head for it in one of Tails' new planes. But after Sonic accidentally falls off of the plane and into the ocean without Tails noticing, he makes his way back to shore on a strange pinball looking area. How does Tails not see this happen? Sometimes, Tails confuses the hell out of me but that's just part of his character I guess. It is unclear what happened to Tails after this though, as he is never seen again in the game at all. Meanwhile, Sonic manages to travel through some pinball stages and fight some of Dr. Eggman's crazy new machines and reaches the final stage. After facing Dr. Eggman one last time, he manages to defeat the doctor and forces him into retreat. This is where the game ends and the confusion begins.

Why is there pinball in my Sonic game? Nevermind that question actually. Anyways, Sonic Spinball was created mainly to show off Sonic's spindash ability only being used for pinball. Yes, that's the entire game. while the game is somehow very short, developrs managed to make it a bit entertaining. In Sonic Spinball, your main goal is to collect the chaos emeralds in each stage and defeat Dr. Eggman in the final level with them. But to be honest, this is also the first Sonic game where you don't need rings to keep yourself safe when on the pinball table. Okay, maybe you need them when playing as Sonic in his running sections, but that's it and those aren't that big anyway. Yes, players get a chance to still play as Sonic like in a normal game but his sections for doing that are so small. They won't last you a good five minutes if you're a pro and know how to get through the running areas the right way. There are special stages in the game as well, but they only reward you rings and not chaos emeralds. Among the stages, you will also find a boss mech made by Dr. Eggman himself. When in a boss stage, you need to patrol Sonic around the pinball table to defeat Dr. Eggman and his mech. If you win, the stage is cleared and automatically moves to the next one. To be honest, i'm more of a pinball fan in Sonic games if they are designed like the pinball in Sonic Adventure or Sonic 2. I just don't like it in this game because there is no basic need for it at all.

Toxic Cave:  An acidic area and the first level of the game. To get the chaos emerald, you must guide Sonic around the table and slowly let the acid fall out of a special capsule, located at the top-center of the stage.

Lava Powerhouse: The second stage, completely made of fire. When in this stage, players will have a hard time if they fuck up on the first try. Because if you fuck up, there is no way to save yourself at all. You're basically live bait to the fire.

The Machine: The semi-final stage. Here, Sonic must figure out a way to dodge all of the mechanical devices around the pinball table and reach the Chaos Emerald above.

Showdown: Basically the same as the previous level. After capturing the chaos emerald here, the final boss begins.

I would like to say that some of the music in the game is alright including Toxic Cave and Showdown. I didn't like how the options music raped my ears at times and how The Machine wasn't the kind of music that fit it perfectly. Though the rest, including the boss music and other small tracks, were alright.

The only hazards in the game to be said are falling off of the pinball table, drowning in acid, melting in fire and being victim to spikes and other various hazards from previous Sonic games when you are in the running sections. Like I said before, this game is short and everything in it is short. Even the hazards.

If you collect all the rings in the stage, a special door is opened that allows players to go into a special stage. Other than that, there are no gimmicks for this game.

Alright, so the only thing I really liked in Sonic Spinball was when I get bored, this game solves it. But when you want a Sonic game that involves a very good storyline, get another game. If you are a pinball finatic and just want to play Sonic in pinball format, get this game. But if you ask me, I really don't think this lives up to be a Sonic the hedgehog game. I'll give it a 3.5/10, only because the music was a bit good and the bosses were suitable for the game, unlike some other bosses I know of. Well, thanks for reading. Coming up is the original classic we all know and love, the original Sonic the hedgehog.

CaptinAss

I played it and never beaten toxic caves. It has bad controls. The pits of doom pissed me off. The barrel in the toxic waste, I have missed that sooooo many times. I hate this game.