Sonic R

Started by TheSlender, July 20, 2013, 12:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSlender

Zer0 V.S Sonic R

To be honest, there is no real story for Sonic R. If you read the manuel, you can see that there was some story but it was only made as the intro. There is no exact ending to Sonic R at all.

Sonic R is what you expect. It's a racing game with the R standing for race. When playing the game, players must rely on each character's special abilities, speed, shortcuts and turning. At the start of the game, there are 4 characters playable. Sonic the hedgehog, who is the fastest, can double jump, but has poor handling when turning. But other than Sonic alone, there's also...

Tails the fox: He can fly across stages for a short amount of time but has low speed on foot compared to the other characters, including Amy and Dr. Robotnik.
Knuckles the echidna: Yes everybody, Knuckles returns and is the best of the bunch. He has the best turn, best handling and can glide to reach other areas. He cannot climb walls though like some characters.
Amy Rose: Unlike other characters, Amy drives a car. Unless you know the shortcuts, you're probably gonna lose.

Among completing the game, players can also unlock and play as the devious Dr. Robotnik, who plays just like Amy in her car. Dr. Robotnik relies on a rocket launcher to lock-on and harm Sonic plus his buddies when in the race. It is also clear that Amy and Dr. Robotnik can hover over the water when they enter it while other characters will be forced to swim through it. If players manage to collect all the chaos emeralds and collect all the hidden coins around the levels, they can play as Metal Sonic, Tails Doll, Egg Robo and Mecha Knuckles. They can also unlock Super Sonic, who breaks the game. I would like to call Super Sonic the end of Sonic R because when playing as him, you'll end up breaking the game, always winning 1st place and just ruining everything. Super Sonic will ruin your friends in multiplayer my friend. If you select other characters, you'll be forced to race against him but if you select Knuckles or somebody else, you'll be forced to race against the originals. If you have Super Sonic as an enemy, set the game to hard mode. Because at least it'll feel like a challenge on the stages. Another thing infact, there are only five stages. Five stages in a Sonic racing game is not right at all. But they do start with the letter R, making the title apparently leak on everything in the game. There are also items scattered around the area which are contained in emblem floating symbols. The items consist of speed booster and other power-ups that never show up in any other game again. At least you don't need rings. The soundtrack is the last thing that deserves the spotlight. When playing through the stages, Sonic R has some catchy tunes. Can you feel the sunshine buddy? Because with this music, I guess I can say that I could.

In the end, Sonic R is fun when you get bored I guess. But if you are active and you want a modern Sonic racing game, stick to Sonic Rivals. Sonic R just isn't the best game for modern day racers. But if you're a classic racer who likes Sonic the hedgehog racing game, Sonic R is the right game for you. For that, i'll give it a 6/10, no matter what system you're playing it on.

Source
Renders: TheBlueSpirit0 (Itshelisha)
Classic Render: Google Imagery
Wallpaper: Halosheros

TheSlender

Typo. This game didn't get a 9/10. I thought I typed in 6... what the f**k was going through my head.

Ye Olde Swagfag

Quote from: TheSlender on July 20, 2013, 12:54:23 PM
Among completing the game, players can also unlock and play as the devious Dr. Robotnik, who plays just like Amy in her car.
... but I thought he was available at the start.

TheSlender

Nnnnot really. Replay it and see.

Ye Olde Swagfag

TheSlender

Well... I assumed some gamers would be playing it on the Gems collection. If he is unlocked in the Saturn version, well ok.

Ye Olde Swagfag

Quote from: TheSlender on July 24, 2013, 05:02:48 AM
Well... I assumed some gamers would be playing it on the Gems collection.
What I meant.

CaptinAss

I love Sonic R. I love the music. I love most of the characters. I love all the race tracks. And I also like the rival races to unlock metal forms.

KingQuan

Good music, good level concepts, ok gameplay, but wheres a story??

SuperWind

Sonic R is fun the music and characters are super forgiving of the games shitty controls.
Hope you guys are having fun on the Sonic Zone!
                 WHERE FUN IS NEVER DONE!

sonicwolfsdutch

i remember playing it always on my ps2 but lets be honest this game is much more better than sonic boom ohh well

Xtf117

Personally, I've always liked this game. it's no masterpiece, but a fun little spinoff that is a fun little distraction when you have nothing better to do, although I do remember a story, I would have to find the manual to my copy of Gems Collection, and that would be more trouble than it's worth.
"When life gives you lemons, make orange juice, and let everyone else try and figure out how the hell you did it."

Niko

Extremely underrated. All I gotta say, personally enjoyed it, mostly because I didn't take it seriously, just played it to have a good time. The soundtrack along with just derping around the levels feels actually decent lol.

AzraelGaming