Sonic 3 (and Knuckles)

Started by TheSlender, July 19, 2013, 05:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSlender

Zer0 V.S Sonic 3

Sonic 3 takes place right after the events of Sonic 2. After Dr. Robotnik manages to find, rebuild and fix the Death Egg, he sends it back into orbit. But before that event happened, he had to face countless battles with Sonic and Tails who desperately tried to stop him and a new foe. Before Sonic and Dr. Robotnik met face to face once again, Sonic and Tails ran into a red porcupine named Knuckles the echidna also known as a bad motherfucker with some wicked dreadlocks and spikes for fists. It appears that Knuckles, who was tricked by the mad scientist, is working for Dr. Robotnik to stop Sonic and Tails. But after a few fights leading to Dr. Robotnik betraying him, Knuckles offers to help Sonic find Dr. Robotnik and stop him on his new Death Egg. When Sonic heads for the Death Egg, it appears that the doctor has been rebuilding many things. While Dr. Robotnik stole the Master Emerald and had it in his position, Sonic managed to re-capture it for himself during a powerful fight with the Egg Doomsday. Now that he saved Knuckles Island, Sonic simply went back to the same area he began in, awaiting the next adventure with his best buddy Tails.

The gameplay of Sonic 3 is a basic 2D styled game where Sonic, Tails and Knuckles main goal is to find the special stages and obtain all seven chaos emeralds which are shaped in the form of gems at the given time. The main thing to look for in a stage is rings, rings, rings.... and starposts. Why? Because just like all other Sonic the hedgehog games, rings are needed for Sonic, Tails and Knuckles to stay alive. The only times rings will never help you is if you are crushed by an object of fall off a cliff... ouch. In each stage is different types of enemies. These enemies are called badniks and are out to pick a bone with Sonic and his buddies. The only way to defeat an enemy is to spindash, jump or use the special shields to guide your way. There are also two more main things in a stage that players must look out for and that is item boxes, which hold rings, special shields that give Sonic unique abilities, speed shoes and invincibility. The other and final thing is bosses. Whether in act 1 or 2, a (mini) boss will appear to try and take out Sonic and Tails. If you're playing as Knuckles, it will appear that Egg Robo is after you instead of Dr. Robotnik, making it an interesting twist as to what boss you may get. Of course if you play as Super Sonic, you can smash the living shit out of these bosses without any problem... unless you run out of rings, in which case I say good luck friend. You'll be needing it. When connecting the game to a cartridge of Sonic and Knuckles, it is also revealed that players can play as Knuckles the echidna in Sonic 3, just like Sonic 2 and re-play the whole story with new bosses, new areas and just a whole new twist. It is also revealed that once you somehow either activate debug mode or just get all the chaos emeralds early, Sonic can transform into Super Sonic. However, when you get all the hyper emeralds, he will transform into Hyper Sonic while his buddies can turn into Hyper Tails and Hyper Knuckles. The hyper characters break the game. They can even phase through walls if you've mastered them enough. When playing as Super Sonic or the Hyper characters, you can move extremely fast and be literally unbeatable, again, game-breaking. They each also have their own ability. Hyper Sonic can clear out enemies on a stage with his homing attack, Hyper Knuckles can climb and glide super fast and Hyper Tails has his, as SomecallmeJohnny may say it, FLICKY ARMY OF DEATH! Meanwhile, the music in the game is perfect, but i'd assume that since Michael Jackson helped work on the music and huge remixes including Thriller and other various tracks. Sometimes I think SEGA based Knuckles off of that music... mehhhhhh no.

Overall, the game itself has special moments and is a lot of fun. Just like a genesis game should be. I highly doubt you'd get tired of Sonic 3 and Knuckles anytime soon. Because, you just can't match the hedgehog packed race of Sonic the hedgehog... bad pun, whatever. To all of you reading this, I bid you farewell for tonight. Thanks for reading.

Hakudamashi

Funny how you keep calling Eggman Robotnik.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheSlender

Because in the genesis games, he was. He only got his name farted upon after Sonic Adventure happened.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheSlender

Sky Fortress Zone isn't enough proof...

Tanassy

Haku is right.

Robotnik was the result of Americans changing the name of the character.

Wolfy

I don't know why I bother with criticism, especially when I'm writing my own review right now :c

You stated that Knuckles was a porcupine at first and then listed his correct name as Knuckles the Echidna. I think you should try to clear things like that up more often.

The main goal of Sonic 3&Knuckles was never to get all the emeralds, it was simply to defeat Eggman. To get to the true endgame, you do require all the emeralds but it is still possible to complete the regular end without them.

Hyper Emeralds do not exist. They are known as Super Emeralds and can only be obtained in the Sonic & Knuckles levels.

Minibosses do not appear in Act 2 at all. They only appear at the very end of Act 1.

Good work though, more accurate than the last one. Keep working on your review skills, you'll get there eventually.

TheSlender

I like how you and me are at review war... lulz...

I made a typo with the Super Emeralds.
I said (mini) to clear up that there would be bosses in act 1.
Knuckles is called porcupine eventually in the Sonic games

Niko

THE BEST FKIN GAME BY FAR. EVERY goddamn thing was perfect about this game. They literally took 2 already masterpiece-level games and improved on them SO MUCH. The new level changing thingy, by far the BEST special stages in all of sonic's classic trilogy, absolutely LOVED the idea of the hidden ring locations. With that being said, the game was pretty challenging, not easy, but not hard to the point where it becomes frustrating. The controls felt amazing, the addition of a new character was a really clever idea, soundtracks are still one of my favorites out of all games of all time. This game was just... Mindblowing. Back then and now aswell.

itxh

pizzaman9080

MarioMover

*insert & Knuckles joke here*

Yam7687

Yup the game was great for a 90's game i honestly enjoyed it especially ice cap zone ;D