Sonic Heroes

Started by TheSlender, July 19, 2013, 12:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSlender

Zer0 V.S Sonic Heroes

The story begins with Sonic, who can be seen running down the desert while Tails and Knuckles pursue him in the Tornado 2. After Tails and Knuckles xplain that Dr. Eggman is back, the team manages to dash off and begin a new adventure together. Meanwhile, in Dr. Eggy's base, Rouge the bat infiltrates the area and frees Shadow from his capsule. But once she opens it, a robot named E-123 Omega begins to attack her, taking Shadow for an Eggman robot, which he is but he never tells her due to his memory being erased. After the three make-up, they head out for an adventure. After an intro involving a lost chao and money, two more teams group up and chase after Dr. Eggman. Meanwhile, when the teams manage to run into Eggman himself in one of his many machines, he is defeated and flees the scene in anger. After a few more run-ins with Dr. Eggman including his Egg Albatross and enemy swarms, the four teams manage to find their targets a.k.a the final chaos emerald, the top secret info on Shadow the hedgehog, the missing chao and frog and of course the money. When the teams are about to split-up again, they are brought back together after Team Chaotix figures out that Dr. Eggman tricked them all and wasn't the real enemy. It is then revealed that Metal Sonic, in a new form, was the enemy that tracked down Sonic all the time he was on his adventure. Knowing this, Metal Sonic suddenly became his special transformation, turning into what appears to be a metal version of Perfect Chaos. After a long-ass fight with the creature, resulting in Super Sonic giving his super form abilities to Tails and Knuckles a.k.a yellow shields that we never see again in any game, Sonic defeats Metal Sonic and runs off with the other teams, splitting up and heading out for a new adventure.

The gameplay was quite bland, but I did like the suddenly awesome speed boosts. Each character has a special different abilities including the speed, flight and power styles of gameplay.

Speed Type: Speed Type characters consist of Sonic, Shadow, Amy and Espio. Each speed character can create a tornado and run at extremely fast speeds unlike the other characters. Though it's funny how when in speed formation, other characters can manage to stay behind and prove that they are faster than they are expected to be.

Flight Type: Flight Type characters consist of Tails, Rouge, Cream and Charmy. Apparently, Cream and Charmy are extremely strong as they carry a whole lot of fat below them. The only thing I disliked about the flight characters is that thy could never be playable on the ground without flying unless the speed and pwoer characters were taken away by a special robot.

Power Type: Power Type characters consisting of Knuckles, E-123 Omega, Big and Vector. What I like about the power characters is that they are the only characters that can break through bigger objects. Making the logic in a Sonic game somehow be played like a card. What I don't like is when a cat like Big can manage to swing around huge spikeballs. It just never made sense to me but then again, it's a Sonic game.

Super Type: Super Type consisting of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. When playing as Super Sonic, the player can do everything speed type characters can do. When playing as Tails, players can now fire super powerful homing strikes instead of standard ones while when playing as Knuckles, characters can ground piund the sky and manage to fire bombs towards enemy ships, breaking them into pieces. Though I liked how the ships were also a bit smaller than they originally were, making the Egg Fleet level look like toy ships with a fat egg controlling them.

Besides for the character types, the gameplay also had a very unqiue storyline, working each character into a proper story including some rival battles that actually were challenging and made sense for once. Sure the ones in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 made sense but not in some other games. Sonic Heroes had such a great scenery. This was the third game that had very artistic backgrounds following both the Sonic Adventure titles. Among the backgrounds, it could be seen that the actual gameplay itself was extremely interesting. I also have to say that the music used was just perfection. This was one of the best games with music made by Crush 40 and other famous artists. The battle, events and the stage music all-together were just awesome. I wouldn't put it any other way.

Other than that, the gameplay all-together was perfect. Just p.e.r.f.e.c.t. Of course I had my differences with some of the game that sadly deducted a point because of things that didn't fit including Big the cat's special moves during his power type gameplay. I feel that some of the story features including with the lines didn't fit so well either. But they were alright. Either way I say it, I still give it a 7/10. Basically a good score for a SEGA game.

Tanassy

Spoiler-warning...

Also; "The gameplay was quite bland"
and; "the gameplay all-together was perfect."

Contradiction?

Wolfy

Okay. I'd like to point out some things you sorta didn't clarify in this.

First, your comments on logic. You pointed out illogical situations in Sonic games but a few paragraphs later you came out and said fuck all logic pretty much. Not a good idea to contradict yourself, man.

Next up, Super Sonic is only used once in the game. Super Type does not exist either. There is no reason to give Super Sonic his own classification if he's not intended to be in the main areas of the game.

As Tana said, you stated the gameplay was bland and later called it perfect. Not going into depth on that.

Next, you put so much pressure on Big even though his gameplay in this game serves a purpose far greater than anything that was achieved in the first game. The comment you made on him not being able to throw spiked balls(which there are none of, i assume you mean Cream and Amy) really shows that you can't comprehend the game's logic correctly. When you think of it, it makes much more sense than how Knuckles or Vector could possibly do it yet you don't even say a word about them. But you trash Big for no exact reason? You can't let your bias influence how you write your reviews.

On that whole Crush 40 and other famous artists part, Jun Senoue made just about all of the music. No other famous artists were involved. Crush 40 did the whole soundtrack.

For future reference, it would make it much better if you could sort your review properly. I see criticism on the story mixed into the Gameplay section of the review which kind of makes it seem more rambled than organized.

Lastly, you stated that you had issues with the game aside from Big the Cat's techniques(which really isn't an issue) yet you never stated those issues. You also should've gone in-depth with what you thought of the story, since you pretty much just stated that the lines were bad in the ending but nowhere else.

Your score seems appropriate but the reasons you gave do not support it in any way really.

Hakudamashi

Ah, this game...
Not only is this the first Sonic game I owned myself, but until Sonic Unleashed, this was my favouritest game of all time ^_^
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Yeah I love the game too, but I don't quite understand a lot of this review.. no offense ^^;

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on July 19, 2013, 01:33:58 PM
This game is the pits (bad).

Also, what's with this forum's sudden obsession with writing game reviews? Are the review sub-forums a new thing?
Well that's your opinion =U

Yes this section is new. And personally I've always been interested in giving reviews to games I feel are underappreciated or I want you guys to be aware of.
I dunno about everyone else...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Wolfy

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 19, 2013, 01:42:40 PM
Yes this section is new.
The first and only thread in this sub forum is from Supersonic196 and is dated somewhere around January 2012. This board isn't new, just underused.

Tanassy

Quote from: Hakudamashi on July 19, 2013, 01:42:40 PM
Yes this section is new.

This section aint new, only the other one is. It's just underu-

Quote from: Wolfy on July 19, 2013, 01:46:54 PM
just underused.

That

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Tanassy

Because there's a Sonic Forum and a Video Games forum.

Hakudamashi

Cause Sonic's a whore who craves attention.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

TheSlender

John apparently posted this since he uploaded an old forum. I designed the new artistry stuff for it since i'm mostly a game reviewer on the forums... so yeah. When I review, I review with style.

CaptinAss

Like most people this was my first Sonic game and my favourite. Who's first game isn't their favourite?

KingQuan

The best sonic game ever created

arielrox321

this is my favorite game of all time