✪Sonic Adventure✪

Started by TheSlender, July 17, 2013, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSlender

Zer0 V.S Sonic Adventure

Hello SonicZone, my name is Zer0, another stranger to the internet. Today, i'll be reviewing the excellent game which allowed Sonic the hedgehog and friends to take their first steps into the 3D world and onto the Nintendo Gamecube/Dreamcast. I'd like to start by saying, this game is just amazing and it's been one of my favorite Sonic the hedgehog related games that SEGA and Sonic Team has ever made.

In 1998, SEGA made a special game that introduced SEGA fans to Sonic the hedgehog in 3D. Later on, this game was released as Sonic Adventure, being released for the nintendo gamecube soon after with modified everything pretty much. Much was taken out in the adventure DX release for now exact reason, just a very tad bit of rushing apparently.

✧✧✧Gameplay✧✧✧
The gameplay of Sonic Adventure is split into many different types. For Sonic and Tails, the gameplay is to find the seven Chaos Emeralds before Dr. Eggman gets his greedy little hands on them. For Knuckles, the gameplay begins to split and the main mission changes to hunting down the three shards of the Master Emerald, each in different stages/levels of the game. Amy Rose's mission is to escape one of Dr. Eggman's greatest (rookie designed) creations a.k.a Zero. The game also introduces two new playable characters named Big the cat, who's gameplay involves fishing and completely rips off SEGA Bass Fishing titles everywhere and another new robot code-named E-102y Gamma. Gamma's gameplay involves basically running around and shooting the s**t out of everything to save his brothers, rescue a frog, destroy a Sonic doll and also destroy all of Dr. Eggman's robots. It's quite fun actually when you're really, really bored. Overall, the gameplay is very unique as each character just has different styles. This is one of the reasons I believe SEGA worked very well with Sonic Adventure unlike some of the other titles and their story ideas (Sonic 0Glitch). This is also the first game that Sonic plays entirely 3D and by god it's amazing.

✧✧✧Storyline✧✧✧
To make this easier, I will separate each character's part in the story and spare the lack of confusion (some parts do get confusing).

Sonic the hedgehog & Tails the fox: Sonic and Tails' story is to find and stop Dr. Eggman, the more modern name of Dr. Robotnik, from stealing all the Chaos Emeralds and unleashing a liquefied creature named Chaos on the world. Dr. Eggman's main plot is to built E.G.G.M.A.N Land over the ruins of Station Square, which to me, was a smarter idea than his next upcoming (not thinking them through) ones including destroying Earth, building amusement parks, etc. Soon enough, Sonic/Tails manages to collect all seven emeralds but is greeted by (depends on which character) the Egg Walker/Egg Viper. After Sonic/Tails defeats his foe, the character's story ends with a conclusion leading to Sonic racing Tails in a friendly manner, basically the way of congratulating the character for beating the story.

Knuckles the echidna: Knuckles story begins with the return of his homeland, Angel Island. It is later revealed, after Chaos smashes his Master Emerald while he was sleeping and on a narrating spree, that Angel Island could not stay in the air without the Master Emerald unlike Sonic 3 where in the end, Sonic/Tails/Knuckles could be seen bringing the emerald back but the island was already floating. It basically makes me sketchy on whether something else makes the island float but that's not the main topic of his story here. Later on, Knuckles manages to find his old rivals, Sonic and Tails, being tricked by Eggy that his shards were being taken by the blue blur and the brave fox. Knuckles soon snapped out of the trick and went back to believing Dr. Eggman smashed the Master Emerald. Was that really even needing to be a coincidence? Sometimes Knuckles makes me think Vector the crocodile could be a better guardian in this case. Soon enough, Knuckles manages to find the missing pieces of the master emerald and takes on Chaos soon after. After the fight, Knuckles takes the emerald pieces back to the Master Emerald, ending his story.

Amy Rose: After a local bird hits Amy in the head out of nowhere, Amy is knocked out by her distracted mind which is bringing up images of her and Sonic in battle. It is here that Sonic CD is also given its easter egg as Amy's dreams come from Sonic saving her in Stardust Speedway and Dr. Robotnik's old base. While she offers to protect the birdie, a strange robot goes into stalker mode and begins chasing her down. As the robot is revealed to be named Zero, like a rookie would, Amy begins to try and outrun him in each level while snatching big fat balloons to save her. But after Zero manages to capture her, she is greeted by a local robot named E-102y Gamma, who saves her from the Egg Carrier. While she gets Tails aid in escaping the exploding ship, Amy manages to find the bird's family and wonders if they are on the Egg Carrier. While Amy manages to find them, Zero ends up attacking the bird, causing her to get bitchy and attack Zero in, what I think is a gladiator styled ring. Nothing says future gladiators like electrified walls and centers of battleships. When Zero is finally scrapped, Amy manages to save her bird, thus, ending her story.

Big the cat: Welcome to the illogical world of a fat, purple, Duke Nukem voiced cat. Big the cat's story begins after his pet frog eats his yellow Chaos Emerald and is greeted by Chaos in his default form. While Big manages to wake up and not know what the f**k is going on, he notices Froggy run off into the city, causing him to chase the frog down. After he finds Froggy, the little guy escaped again, forcing Big to go after him. After some horrible fishing stunts that left me in torture, Big manages to finally keep his damn grip on Froggy, but is greeted by Chaos Six, who eats the frog and forces Big to fish for it. Big soon later captures his frog and the two escape on Tails plane, falling with style as the ship explodes. Big finally gets back to his forest hours later, ending his story there. That was torture I tell you torture.

E-102y Gamma: A design made by Dr. Eggman himself, Gamma was originally a robot who was sent to terminate Sonic the hedgehog. But later on, after capturing a frog and being taught a lesson by Amy Rose, Gamma decides to erase Dr. Eggman from his own memory, causing him to be another rogue robot. While Gamma sets out to save (destroy) his brothers and free them of Dr. Eggman's torture, Gamma soon realizes he too needs to be saved, killing himself after dealing with his original big brother, E-101 Beta. His story ends after he is destroyed. He is never seen ever again after that point.

Super Sonic: The favorite of all Sonic the hedgehog game endings. After Sonic and his buddies are met by a strange light in each of their stories, they soon come to realize that the character they kept seeing was Knuckles sisters, Tikal the echidna. She was also the strange light that came them tips as well but that doesn't really matter. After Chaos absorbs the final Chaos Emerald, he transforms into his final form, Chaos seven a.k.a the original God of Destruction. As Sonic is about to lose hope in his anger, he learns from Tikal that he can use the negative power of the Chaos Emeralds to turn super, performing the process when his friends manage to collect the Chaos Emeralds in the now ruined city of Station Square. Soon after Super Sonic gives Chaos his ass on a silver plate, Chaos transforms back into his default form, leaving with Tikal in a bright white light. He and Tikal are never seen again in any other game, ending the game all-together.

✧✧✧The Dreamcast Difference✧✧✧
Unlike gamers who play Sonic Adventure Directors Cut (DX), I really like the dreamcast version more. There was a couple extra sound effects, different model types that were 3D versions of the class characters and just more scenery in each stage and HUB world. For instance, Angel Island has trees in the dreamcast version while the gamecube version does not.

In basic words, I had a lot of fun, no matter which version of Sonic Adventure I played. I'll give it a 10/10 for the outstanding work SEGA did to bring Sonic into the 3D world. The adventure began there, and it's still running right now. You'll enjoy Sonic Adventure when you play it... until that day, farewell fellow strangers. Thanks for reading.

Wolfy

....this was far from Sonic's first entrance into the 3D world, as:

Sonic 3D Blast(Saturn)
Sonic R
Sonic Jam
Sonic X-treme(scrapped)
and Sonic the Fighters/Sonic Championship(MAME/Arcade)

all released before the dreamcast's creation and rendered full 3D environments. Moving on,

Gamma's name is not E-102y Gamma. That y in his name is the character for the greek letter Gamma.

The difference between games you listed was not clear at all. Director's Cut included many bug fixes, smoother gameplay, shorter load times, and a new texture set. Trees around Angel Island were removed but that pretty much wasn't necessary anyways. The dreamcast version carried no additional sound effects. The dreamcast version also carried a very minimal chao system compared to its rerelease, whereas Hero and Dark chao did not exist, making the possible chao evolutions very limited.

If Big's story was absolute torture, how come this game gets a full 10/10? You rate it based on all aspects of the game, with 10/10 meaning perfection. The game is clearly not perfection if Big's story was torture.

You rated the game's gameplay based on Sonic and Tails' gameplay only. You don't do that in reviews. You need to go into depth with each style and state what you liked and didn't like about it. You just explained stories that most of us already knew. Your review told us nothing, only that you're a Sonic fanboy and gave this game a 10/10 simply because you believe most would agree. That alone proves this is an unjust review, made obvious by you contradicting your own words.

You mentioned Sonic '06 (by calling it Sonic 0Glitch, which is probably one of the dumber names I've heard it being called) and said that its story and gameplay ideas were much worse than Adventure. Sonic '06 had much better depth in its story and although it created paradoxes, the story and voice acting was better than Adventure's by a longshot. The gameplay in 06 was flawed due in part to its rushed development and coding entirely in a language that SEGA never used before (Lua).

You stated two of the story bits (and possibly more) incorrectly: Sonic never carried anger when he fought Chaos, and he used the positive energy of the Chaos Emeralds.

That's all I have to say, and for the love of God please pick a more original review title.

jkid101094

Quote from: Wolfy on July 17, 2013, 11:20:57 PM
coding entirely in a language that SEGA never used before (Lua).
Sonic 06 was coded in Lua?

You learn something new every day. Even the site claims it's meant to go hand in hand with C++.

Quote from: DracoDraco:  Saber was my bitch LONG before you heard about her.  I introduced you to FSN, loser.  D<
Oh, and still...
ILU JKIDDD

Says you. She likes me more. D<
And ILU2. o3o
IaFNSW.

Meme Master Flex

Quote from: Wolfy on July 17, 2013, 11:20:57 PM
....this was far from Sonic's first entrance into the 3D world, as:

Sonic 3D Blast(Saturn)
Sonic R
Sonic Jam
Sonic X-treme(scrapped)
and Sonic the Fighters/Sonic Championship(MAME/Arcade)

all released before the dreamcast's creation and rendered full 3D environments. Moving on,

Gamma's name is not E-102y Gamma. That y in his name is the character for the greek letter Gamma.

The difference between games you listed was not clear at all. Director's Cut included many bug fixes, smoother gameplay, shorter load times, and a new texture set. Trees around Angel Island were removed but that pretty much wasn't necessary anyways. The dreamcast version carried no additional sound effects. The dreamcast version also carried a very minimal chao system compared to its rerelease, whereas Hero and Dark chao did not exist, making the possible chao evolutions very limited.

If Big's story was absolute torture, how come this game gets a full 10/10? You rate it based on all aspects of the game, with 10/10 meaning perfection. The game is clearly not perfection if Big's story was torture.

You rated the game's gameplay based on Sonic and Tails' gameplay only. You don't do that in reviews. You need to go into depth with each style and state what you liked and didn't like about it. You just explained stories that most of us already knew. Your review told us nothing, only that you're a Sonic fanboy and gave this game a 10/10 simply because you believe most would agree. That alone proves this is an unjust review, made obvious by you contradicting your own words.

You mentioned Sonic '06 (by calling it Sonic 0Glitch, which is probably one of the dumber names I've heard it being called) and said that its story and gameplay ideas were much worse than Adventure. Sonic '06 had much better depth in its story and although it created paradoxes, the story and voice acting was better than Adventure's by a longshot. The gameplay in 06 was flawed due in part to its rushed development and coding entirely in a language that SEGA never used before (Lua).

You stated two of the story bits (and possibly more) incorrectly: Sonic never carried anger when he fought Chaos, and he used the positive energy of the Chaos Emeralds.

That's all I have to say, and for the love of God please pick a more original review title.

Thank you, this basically is how I feel about this.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/092/0/e/sonic_adventure_by_raito_sarudoi-d3d0uis.png

Credit the artist when you use their work, don't copy people's review titles, you BSC suck up :v

TheSlender

The game got a 10/10 because of the following... it's a great game. Here's where you were right and wrong.

1. Sega admitted it was Sonic's first fully 3D steps into a bigger console.

2. Even with Gamma having a Greek letter, it was in the full name. So I used it.

3. Big may have been torture, but he did bring aspects to at least some gamers.

4. Finally, Sonic had some anger. He even showed it. Replay the final story and talk to me again.

TheGameNinja

The highest score on a scale should only be used for a game that, to you, is near perfect. The fact that you had any complaints (specifically about Big) means that the game shouldn't be a 10 on your scale. Why bother with the review if your score isn't dependent on it at all?

Wolfy

Quote from: TheSlender on July 18, 2013, 04:56:04 AM
The game got a 10/10 because of the following... it's a great game. Here's where you were right and wrong.

1. Sega admitted it was Sonic's first fully 3D steps into a bigger console.

2. Even with Gamma having a Greek letter, it was in the full name. So I used it.

3. Big may have been torture, but he did bring aspects to at least some gamers.

4. Finally, Sonic had some anger. He even showed it. Replay the final story and talk to me again.

1. They said that for almost every game I listed earlier. They intended for all of those games to be exactly what you said but none of them were popular enough. You can't trust them being serious about that and you can tell that really wasn't true since that console it released on was dying.

2. The name is just E-102γ. If you phrase it as E-102γ Gamma, that's pronounced E-102 Gamma Gamma. That's why it isn't shown on the character select screen.

3. Big's stages never returned in any Sonic game and I'm damn sure that he did nothing for Sega Bass Fishing.

4. Actually, let me play that section right now...

Dialogue:

"If I wasn't just dreaming, that monster is a real menace!"

"I've had enough! Who do you think you are anyway?"

"Hey guys, what's up?"

"Our positive feelings toward each other can make them work!"

The second one is the closest thing towards anger. You can't really consider it anger either. I'm not even sure if you remembered that specific line at all (probably not) but all I can say is that's not what your description said it was. And yes, I seriously launched SADX to prove you wrong. Enjoy your day.

EDIT:

Hakudamashi

I enjoyed 1/3 of the game, I can't agree with you...
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

CaptinAss

I think this game is the best 3d Sonic game.
The controls are great.
The music is amazing.
The level design is fun and fast.
Some cutscenes where quite bad but charming at the same time.

Hakudamashi

Y'know, after watching an lp of this game, I just realised that depending on which story you're playing, the other characters will act according to the perspective of that protagonist.

'Tis quite a nifty way to make cutscenes feel different that I wish current games would do more often.
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

KingQuan

arielrox321

this is my favorite game of all time

Xtf117

You really shouldn't judge a game by only the parts you like, I do agree this game is fantastic, but it has some very clear flaws, such as the entirety of Big's story.
"When life gives you lemons, make orange juice, and let everyone else try and figure out how the hell you did it."