Don Mattrick leaves Xbox, apparantly

Started by shadowDOESrock, July 01, 2013, 07:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowDOESrock

Don Mattrick, president of Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, which covers the Xbox, is leaving the company, according to a report from All Things D. The executive is said to be heading to Zynga as CEO. This news comes from multiple sources familiar to the situation.

According to sources, an announcement may come as early as today when the markets close.

Mattrick served at EA as president of Worldwide Studios before joining the Xbox company in 2007.

In a Pach-Attack episode in May, Michael Pachter predicted that the Microsoft executive could be the one to run EA after the Xbox One launches later this year. If today's story pans out, it looks like Mattrick will leave earlier as anticipated and instead moving on to the troubled social game company.

Earlier in June, Zynga saw layoffs of 520 employees or 18 percent of its workforce. The company has recently restructured towards mobile gaming as part of the staff cuts. According to sources, word about Mattrick and Zynga has been going around for some time now.

Mattrick's departure comes at a critical time for Microsoft as the launch of the Xbox One draws closer to its November release. Mattrick has been predominant in the reveal of the Xbox One, appearing at both the May event and E3 conference. Recently, Mattrick announced that Microsoft would reverse its DRM policies in reaction to community feedback.

At the time, it appears that Microsoft has no person in mind to replace Mattrick as head of the Xbox division.

With Mattrick possibly gone, do you think the Xbox Brand will regain its title as THE Gamer Console?

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on July 01, 2013, 07:54:59 AM
With Mattrick possibly gone, do you think the Xbox Brand will regain its title as THE Gamer Console?[/center]
It was in the first place?
OR ELSE!
Compliments to our Goddess for this piece of superspecialawesome!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

shadowDOESrock

Quote from: windlessusher on July 01, 2013, 08:35:00 AM

Yes. The Xbox was always considered to be the hardcore gaming console.
Fun Fact: Sony were the ones pushing multimedia with the PS2 and PS3.

That is Until Don Mattrick and Kinect.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: {Your Lovely Kyo}~ on July 01, 2013, 08:45:01 AM
Yes. The Xbox was always considered to be the hardcore gaming console.
Fun Fact: Sony were the ones pushing multimedia with the PS2 and PS3.

That is Until Don Mattrick and Kinect.
Ah, I remember that now, especially with Xbox Live and motherfucking Halo.

With that said, after the firing of the "Deal with it" guy, and Don Mattrick leaving, maybe this will make Microsoft a respectable gaming competitor again.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: windlessusher on July 01, 2013, 10:59:56 AM
With that said, after the firing of the "Deal with it" guy, and Don Mattrick leaving, maybe this will make Microsoft a respectable gaming competitor again.

Doubt it. I'm sure Mattrick isn't the only person at Microsoft that wanted the Xbox to be an all-in-one entertainment box. That was pretty much the original plan for Xbox, but the people in charge back in the Xbox/early 360 days actually cared about making it a serious gaming console

TheGameNinja

Quote from: windlessusher on July 01, 2013, 08:35:00 AM

In America.

Anyway, that's hilarious. Zynga is perfect for this idiot. He's been talking so much about mobile, he can go work for a mobile company and see how that works. It's not like the mobile bubble will EVER burst, right? This is totally something to base a long term company-impacting decision on!

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on July 01, 2013, 12:27:54 PM
Doubt it. I'm sure Mattrick isn't the only person at Microsoft that wanted the Xbox to be an all-in-one entertainment box. That was pretty much the original plan for Xbox, but the people in charge back in the Xbox/early 360 days actually cared about making it a serious gaming console
Well, I think the peer pressure from Sony and Nintendo will steer them in the right direction... maybe...
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: windlessusher on July 01, 2013, 03:58:46 PM
Well, I think the peer pressure from Sony and Nintendo will steer them in the right direction... maybe...

Nintendo? No. Sony? Probably.

Hakudamashi

Quote from: Elija2 on July 01, 2013, 04:24:18 PM
Nintendo? No.
I fail to see how being nearly $200 cheaper with a more diverse library of exclusives cannot nudge the Xbone in any way, especially after Microsoft's "Specs don't matter" speech.
OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay

Elija2

Quote from: windlessusher on July 01, 2013, 04:44:07 PM
I fail to see how being nearly $200 cheaper with a more diverse library of exclusives cannot nudge the Xbone in any way, especially after Microsoft's "Specs don't matter" speech.

And I fail to see how a console that is selling horribly could scare Microsoft into changing the Xbox to be more like that failing console.

Hakudamashi

OR ELSE!
DO NOTCLICK!
m'kay